Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:34 am

Looking at businesssaver awards for dfw/ogg and AA has blocked all available and only releases it when it is closer than 21 days out so they can get $75 on your award booking?!? newly released today, space on june 24....looking at empty seats up front for lots of dates in june, but since they can't <take our> $75 until less than 21 days out they will remain unavailable....AA is playing games, the same routes were widely available through USair before the merger, now AA runs the show...greedy <people> blocking awards....I know the airline can run their FF program any way they want, but this pattern of profiteering ought to be illegal.

Last edited by Microwave; Jun 4, 2015 at 11:27 pm Reason: Rephrased unnecessarily colourful wording
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Have HND-SFO-PHX. Schedule change for SFO-PHX causes misconnect, no other US flight to PHX remainder of day. No longer any other JL availability since bloggers told everyone and their grandmothers about wide open JL space. (Aside: I don't particularly have a problem with that, except that it personally hinders me after the fact in this situation so I'm grumbling.)

I could do the overnight in SFO but would rather either stay in Tokyo another day or two if I can find the space, or find a way home the same day.

Anyone got any suggestions?
IF the airline has changed their schedule I would ask the airlines what they plan to do to help you with this.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Strategy backfire?

I played the award game and I may have lost.

I bought a bunch of miles to top off our account during the recent AA mile promo sale.

I had been tracking flights from SEA-CDG for the last month and the inventory in AA business and even BA First was really good at the 330 day mark all through April 2016.

Then last week ( a few days before it is our turn to book) the inventory became very sporadic and/or really lousy routing. I am even getting up at midnight to see what opens at that 330 day out.

Originally we were going to buy Saga Class tickets on Icelandair. Easy, relatively inexpensive Business class and the exact days I wanted. Because we used that money to buy AAmiles....I might have shot myself in the foot.

Question: After the original 330 day posting... do new award seats occasionally pop up in the system? I certainly have not seen this in the last month of my research...they just disappear as they are claimed with no new additions.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by david4455

Question: After the original 330 day posting... do new award seats occasionally pop up in the system? I certainly have not seen this in the last month of my research...they just disappear as they are claimed with no new additions.
In my experience, award availability does change. I have been tracking a triangle oneworld award route (South America – Europe – North America – South America) in business/first since about six months out. During that period, availability on all three of the long-haul legs has gone dramatically down and then up again several times. The exception is AA/US for which there has never been ANY business/first availability, although economy is plentiful. I can use BA without surcharges (YQ, YR, etc) since they are prohibited by law for tickets issued in my country of origin. By checking daily on BA.COM I was able to get the entire itinerary within one day of my desired dates. Expertflyer.com doesn’t help much since neither BA nor JJ are included.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:08 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Are you searching out of multiple US cities? You might not get the exact flight you want but you will certainly find J availabilty to CDG. I see AA space out of JFK and scads of BA space *gulp* in a worse case scenario. If you have any flexbility with other cities in Europe you can fly into/out of it will open up more options and perhaps make for a better trip.

I bought a bunch of miles to top off our account during the recent AA mile promo sale.

I had been tracking flights from SEA-CDG for the last month and the inventory in AA business and even BA First was really good at the 330 day mark all through April 2016.

Then last week ( a few days before it is our turn to book) the inventory became very sporadic and/or really lousy routing. I am even getting up at midnight to see what opens at that 330 day out.

Originally we were going to buy Saga Class tickets on Icelandair. Easy, relatively inexpensive Business class and the exact days I wanted. Because we used that money to buy AAmiles....I might have shot myself in the foot.

Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Don't forget about IB! Lower extortions than BA, and usually pretty decent award availability. You should be able to string together something like SEA-ORD-MAD-ORY without too much trouble this far out. Remember though that you have to call in (or search BA's site) to find IB award space, it's not listed on aa.com.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:16 am

I have been spoiled rotten by what I have been seeing in April. SEA-ORD-CDG ( or DFW) in J and even a bunch of BA SEA-LHR-CDG (fuel laden) in F.

I know I can piece something together.....and will use IB and a JFK departure as the last resort....as well as look at less ideal departure dates.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:03 am

i'm trying to book an award seat from the US to BKK in C or F. The only availability for my dates is IAH-DOH-BKK on QR. Is this a valid routing? The AA rules seem to indicate that transit through the ME isn't allowed to Asia. Seems like that should be allowed since QR joined OW. Allowable?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by HanBkk
i'm trying to book an award seat from the US to BKK in C or F. The only availability for my dates is IAH-DOH-BKK on QR. Is this a valid routing? The AA rules seem to indicate that transit through the ME isn't allowed to Asia. Seems like that should be allowed since QR joined OW. Allowable?
Not allowed. The AAdvantage Partner award chart clearly indicates that awards between North America and Asia may only be routed via the Pacific.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:11 am

Question about a Hold

I was able to put on hold a decent route for an upcoming trip...just a day or two too early from my ideal departure date.

If the ideal flights open up in the next few days BEFORE this hold expires....will the system allow me to book another hold?

And if so, how do I cancel the first hold? I don't see anywhere to do that.
Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I was able to put on hold a decent route for an upcoming trip...just a day or two too early from my ideal departure date.

If the ideal flights open up in the next few days BEFORE this hold expires....will the system allow me to book another hold?

And if so, how do I cancel the first hold? I don't see anywhere to do that.
Thanks.
Yes you could put another flight on hold. When you log on a click My Trips you will see all your On Holds - just hit the cancel button; if you then go back you will see a Remove button click it and you are good to go.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Yes you could put another flight on hold. When you log on a click My Trips you will see all your On Holds - just hit the cancel button; if you then go back you will see a Remove button click it and you are good to go.
Thanks.

When I discussed this with my husband this morning ( I got up at midnight to grab these seats...good thing...this morning all that was left were poor routings), we agreed that an extra day in Paris is not such a bad thing...so I think we will just keep these flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2015 at 10:02 am Reason: ** use to avoid filters not OK
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
So what time do they load new FF seats? Midnight what time zone?

PS I agree; an extra day in Paris is not such a bad thing.

Last edited by dwcatty; Jun 8, 2015 at 8:30 am Reason: add ps
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dwcatty
So what time do they load new FF seats? Midnight what time zone?

PS I agree; an extra day in Paris is not such a bad thing.
AA HQ / offices are US Central, so that might be it?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just ticketed ORD-DFW-CDG-DOH-MLE all in first class (except DOH-MLE as they only have J) using a mix of AA & QR. Had been using AA.com, EF and KVS Tool to check availability. KVS helped me snag the F seats CDG-DOH on the A380. Funny thing - when I logged into AA.com to do my searches, it only showed J availability ORD-CDG and did not offer me F availability flying ORD-DFW-CDG. In fact, when I just checked for DFW-CDG availability in F, the flight showed up online as having Y awards only. Thought I would have to pony up the F miles @ 90K per person to get the F space on QR (the only leg in F of the bunch). When I went to ticket, I asked the AAgent if there was any F MilesAAver space on DFW-CDG and she said "yes, there sure is" and was able to grab two seats. So, now we are doing First on all legs but one, still have some time in Paris between flights and I won't feel like I am "throwing away" over 20K miles per person to get a 6 hour leg in F (although a VERY sweet 6 hours I am sure!). Not sure if this is considered the "expanded" award availability for EXP's - but I'll take it!

Moral of the story: never hurts to call and ask!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.