Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
This is just a quick update to my earlier posts. I had been looking for 3 J seats for DFW-LHR and then CDG-DFW towards the end of July and beginning of August. With a recently acquired subscription to Expert Flyer for award flight alerts, I was able to secure 3 J seats DFW-LHR on the 77W and 2 J seats plus 1 F seat CDG-DFW on the 777! I want to thank the folks here that offered advice/tips in ensuring this became a reality. So big thanks to Exec_Plat, JDiver, and mangoMan. Now just one more question, or at least until I can think of another one. I plan on trying to upgrade the 2 J seats on CDG-DFW because I believe the 777 has the angled lie flat seats, but should I also spring for F seats on the 77W or stand pat with the U seats? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
You're welcome (probably speaking for, but not claiming to, the other members you're thanking). You did rather well!

Yes, the unrefurbished three class 772 has 2 x 3 x 2 angled flat seats, and spacious First class suites. (The refurbished CIP offers no F, but all-aisle access horizontal flat seats.) changing U to Z, iirc the classes, shouldn't incur any fees if the inventory becomes available (set up Z seat alerts with EF).

The 77W IMO offers the best Business seats in the entire fleet. The few Flagship / F suites are not a quantum leap above J, and I'd be quite content to fly in J.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
Hi, looking at booking some award flights from LAX to HNL next August. What time of day are award seats released on to the AA website and do more seats appear throughout the year or is that it once the initial batch are gone ?
Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You're going to be frustrated by the '331 day/time of day' approach. AA manages saver award inventory very actively. More can be added any time.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...n-award-seats/

Over a narrow range of dates and flights ExpertFlyer award alerts can be very valuable.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by charlieduke
Hi, looking at booking some award flights from LAX to HNL next August. What time of day are award seats released on to the AA website and do more seats appear throughout the year or is that it once the initial batch are gone ?
Thanks
I've been monitoring any flights to HNL next summer, and haven't seen much open up (early June but that's it). I think AA is not releasing any Savers awards next summer at all.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:05 am
Formerly known as jlars77

F or Y? I found good sAAver availability, but routing and class might not be to your liking.

Originally Posted by adamak
I've been monitoring any flights to HNL next summer, and haven't seen much open up (early June but that's it). I think AA is not releasing any Savers awards next summer at all.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There's tons of Saver if you connect on the West Coast to AS...
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
This is just a quick update to my earlier posts. I had been looking for 3 J seats for DFW-LHR and then CDG-DFW towards the end of July and beginning of August. With a recently acquired subscription to Expert Flyer for award flight alerts, I was able to secure 3 J seats DFW-LHR on the 77W and 2 J seats plus 1 F seat CDG-DFW on the 777! I want to thank the folks here that offered advice/tips in ensuring this became a reality. So big thanks to Exec_Plat, JDiver, and mangoMan. Now just one more question, or at least until I can think of another one. I plan on trying to upgrade the 2 J seats on CDG-DFW because I believe the 777 has the angled lie flat seats, but should I also spring for F seats on the 77W or stand pat with the U seats? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Congrats on getting your awards! Definitely go for the J => F upgrade on the CDG-DFW leg if you can get it, but I agree with JDiver that the 77W J => F upgrade probably isn't worth it, neither for the seat nor service. Now, if it was CX, JL, or even BA, I might have a different opinion
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Miles and more, AA Advantage, UA Mileage Plus
I booked tickets with AA miles from Europe to Los Angeles(Santa Ana airport) on economy saver just a week ago. Today I just noticed that there is availability for business saver seats, but flying to LAX airport instead of SNA. Do you think they would charge me a fee for changing the destination for the upgarde?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:40 am

If they try to, hang up and call again. But do it quickly - someone else may snag the seats.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Publiclt
I booked tickets with AA miles from Europe to Los Angeles(Santa Ana airport) on economy saver just a week ago. Today I just noticed that there is availability for business saver seats, but flying to LAX airport instead of SNA. Do you think they would charge me a fee for changing the destination for the upgarde?
Yes, should incur a charge.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bmchris
If they try to, hang up and call again. But do it quickly - someone else may snag the seats.
As I mentioned earlier, there's a LOT of J availability on ZRH/AMS-USA.

The problem is that right now I don't think you're going to be able to book anything given the computer problems.... maybe later today? I'd try and stay off the phones unless it was completely urgent (long long wait times with lots of inconvenienced travelers). A vacation for a ways out that you need to change airport and award types for probably is not terribly urgent...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Miles and more, AA Advantage, UA Mileage Plus
First representative didn't mention any fees, just taxes, but I didn't book as it involved overnight connection in Europe, wanted to check hotels and so on. When I called back to book, another rep told me I have to pay fees for changing destination. Same story when I called for a third time. Just this time she even told me i would have to pay 75$ fee/p because I'm changing my ticket less then 21 before the flight. But i wasnt changing the date of my flight!?

Last edited by Publiclt; Sep 17, 2015 at 3:41 pm Reason: corrected
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Just like few other posters here, I am new to AA awards. Need an advise on the following:

traveling with my grandma on 9/28 CVG-JFK-HEL-SVO. Since she's over 90, I was planning to get us both in Business, but it looks like it was only 1 seat available. I booked her in Business, got me a ticket in Economy. We are in Economy on CVG-JFK, there are Business seats for HEL-SVO part, but not for JFK-HEL part.

What would be your recommendations in the situation? What are the chances another seat in Business would open on Finnair? I'd like to stay as cloase to her as possible... Would Finnair put me in one of the first Economy rows if I called them?

Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Artemk
J We are in Economy on CVG-JFK, there are Business seats for HEL-SVO part, but not for JFK-HEL part.
If you have the miles readily available and feel lucky, ticket yourself 'in Business with a voluntary downgrade' on the segment that lacks a Business award. Keep checking for Business availability to open on that segment.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you have the miles readily available and feel lucky, ticket yourself 'in Business with a voluntary downgrade' on the segment that lacks a Business award. Keep checking for Business availability to open on that segment.
Is there any way to estimate my chances? I have that 20K miles, but not sure if I want to pay them to fly HEL-SVO in Business...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.