Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA and ExpertFlyer Issues, Questions
Please keep this thread strictly related to AA and ExpertFlyer

For general questions about ExpertFlyer, please use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

If you are an ExpertFlyer customer or have questions about the product, you may email customercare <at> expertflyer.com, or you can mention <at>ExpertFlyer Voice, the EF representative on FT.

NOTE: This wikipost is locked
Print Wikipost

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:38 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GiantVulture
Flying to Brazil next week and trying to predict my SWU chances. I've almost always been waitlisted, so I usually check EF (non-award) availability instead. AA matches R class availability, but what about C,J,D? Do you know what's going on here?

Someone I'm sure will correct me, but in this instance i believe there are 7+ business seats available, 3 of which are pricing as a discounted "R" fare. once those three seats are sold, R will = 0 and they will start selling another more expensive inventory code.
Based on a 5/6 departure date, there seems like a lot of seats (7+), and the fare is not cheap, which bodes well for your SWU clearing, but i have no idea how this route sells.
NickP 1K and _kurt like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
Someone I'm sure will correct me, but in this instance i believe there are 7+ business seats available, 3 of which are pricing as a discounted "R" fare. once those three seats are sold, R will = 0 and they will start selling another more expensive inventory code.
Based on a 5/6 departure date, there seems like a lot of seats (7+), and the fare is not cheap, which bodes well for your SWU clearing, but i have no idea how this route sells.
Ah, makes sense! AA's website is saying 3 left AT THIS PRICE. Well, fingers crossed. Thank you!
_kurt likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
EF notifies of aircraft change, but they still show it original type

EF notified me of an aircraft change from a 787-8 to an A321 (Oasis) on a flight I have in under 5 hours. Companion and I are booked in MCE row 6, which are the PE seats used on International flights.

Logged into AA and see that 1.) yes, the aircraft was downgraded and 2.) they moved us from 6AC to 8CD (aisle and aisle). So, they maintained us in MCE. I was also able to change to 9AB for window/middle without issue. There were no other 2 seats together on the whole plane available to assign. A few scattered single seats.

When I check EF, it still shows the flight as a 787, but all buckets zeroed out. Why did they alert me to a change when they still show it a 787? Nonetheless, AA took the flight from 214 to 190 coach seats(including a reduction of 12 MCE seats), so I'm also seeing offers 'starting at $375' to volunteer. We are time sensitive on this trip, so we won't be taking the offers but I think there will be some pissed off passengers who may get to the airport to see their seats all jumbled up - including loss of MCE that may have been paid for. Luckily the 787-8 and A321 have 20 seats up front, so no biggie for those who scored the lie flats.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Sounds like a question to ask EF -- why they sent an alert but did not change the aircraft type.

On an operational basis, it is better to downgrade an aircraft than to cancel the flight altogether. Stuff happens, particularly since AA is limited on widebody aircraft.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:05 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by PHL
EF notified me of an aircraft change from a 787-8 to an A321 (Oasis) on a flight I have in under 5 hours. Companion and I are booked in MCE row 6, which are the PE seats used on International flights.

Logged into AA and see that 1.) yes, the aircraft was downgraded and 2.) they moved us from 6AC to 8CD (aisle and aisle). So, they maintained us in MCE. I was also able to change to 9AB for window/middle without issue. There were no other 2 seats together on the whole plane available to assign. A few scattered single seats.

When I check EF, it still shows the flight as a 787, but all buckets zeroed out. Why did they alert me to a change when they still show it a 787? Nonetheless, AA took the flight from 214 to 190 coach seats(including a reduction of 12 MCE seats), so I'm also seeing offers 'starting at $375' to volunteer. We are time sensitive on this trip, so we won't be taking the offers but I think there will be some pissed off passengers who may get to the airport to see their seats all jumbled up - including loss of MCE that may have been paid for. Luckily the 787-8 and A321 have 20 seats up front, so no biggie for those who scored the lie flats.
The aircraft change alert looks both at the equipment code and the Economy seat map layout. One could change without the other changing.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:04 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
That appears to be the case. The flight availability search shows it a 788, but the seat map is an A321.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BonVoy Titanium
Hi all, I'm showing C availability for both my outbound and return flights but when I called to apply my SWUs just now I was told I'm waitlisted for each. I used the "Awards and Upgrades" search on EF. Am I doing something wrong?

Return flight:

Also, looking at how my SWUs are being applied on AA.com, is this right? I know SWU upgrades have higher priority than standard EXP "Complimentary" priority, should they actually indicate "Systemwide Upgrade" for all segments instead of just the LHR ones?

Edit: typos
Old May 21, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UpIntheError
Hi all, I'm showing C availability for both my outbound and return flights but when I called to apply my SWUs just now I was told I'm waitlisted for each. I used the "Awards and Upgrades" search on EF. Am I doing something wrong?

Return flight:

Also, looking at how my SWUs are being applied on AA.com, is this right? I know SWU upgrades have higher priority than standard EXP "Complimentary" priority, should they actually indicate "Systemwide Upgrade" for all segments instead of just the LHR ones?

Edit: typos
Search by individual segment only. If you look as connections, you get junk.
​​​​​​
Search LAX-JFK and JFK-LHR separately, for example. Also, do not request SWUs for all segments as if only 1 segment clears, it gets used. On the outbound, that may be ok for you as LAX-JFK is a long flight. On the return, you probably don't want to blow a SWU on PHX-LAX.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpIntheError

Return flight:

Just above where you cropped the picture, it says "Upgrade inventory results are NOT valid for segments that are part of a connection, only for individual segments"

It's correct unless you are willing to burn the SWU on just the domestic segment.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Hi all,

Is there any way whatsoever to use Expert Flyer (or any other tool) to help know (not guess) the complimentary upgrade availability on a new flight where I would already be within the window to confirm? For example, I'm about to book a new flight as a PlatPro at 72 hours and want to know which flight (out of the several direct flights) I can book and confirm an upgrade now, versus being waitlisted.

I understand that a flight with lots of J space is good, but it doesn't mean anything because there could be others already on the waitlist. C space also doesn't help because it only guarantees that I can use a SWU or BXP1 to upgrade but it does not mean I can upgrade complimentary even if I'm within the window, right? Any other ideas or is the only way really to guess (based on J and C) and book and request upgrade and see if it clears? If it doesn't clear, change the ticket and try the next flight down the line (I know I'd clear the very late flight, but rather not).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 26, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LuizMiranda
Is there any way whatsoever to use Expert Flyer to help know (not guess) the complimentary upgrade availability
No, this is not visible anywhere.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No, this is not visible anywhere.
So frustrating. I guess I'll call to book, and see if the AA phone agent can help see which flight has hidden R space available, if the agent would be willing to do so (I'm assuming they can if they want to).
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:43 am

Where is "View Additional Comments"

Hello:
I had a flight from PHL to LAX cancelled yesterday. After doing a Flight Status search, we used to be able to see the reason for a cancellation/delay by reading AA's comments. However, I don't see the link for View Additional Comments any longer.
Where has it gone, or are Comments no longer available to us?

Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:55 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by NDFan
Hello:
I had a flight from PHL to LAX cancelled yesterday. After doing a Flight Status search, we used to be able to see the reason for a cancellation/delay by reading AA's comments. However, I don't see the link for View Additional Comments any longer.

Thanks.
It hasn't gone anywhere, it's still there for flights within a few days of their departure date.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDFan
Hello:

Thanks.
View Additional Comments is only available if you View by Flight Number, not if you View by City Pair. Were you viewing by Citi Pair?

Three flights PHL-LAX in 6/10 on AA show as cancelled when viewing by Citi Pair. I checked the first one by Flight Number, flight AA 884, and when viewing by Flight Number, it has an additional comments link and there it shows:

PHL 400P C22
LAX T4B T4 47B 642P
1FX CANCEL PHL -LAX -XEC-CXLD DUE TO PREVIOUS CREW RELATED
CXLD-E*2303
7PHL/AUTO REACCOM CXL FLT COMPLETED *0000*CRCYMG
_kurt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.