Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA and ExpertFlyer Issues, Questions
Please keep this thread strictly related to AA and ExpertFlyer

For general questions about ExpertFlyer, please use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

If you are an ExpertFlyer customer or have questions about the product, you may email customercare <at> expertflyer.com, or you can mention <at>ExpertFlyer Voice, the EF representative on FT.

NOTE: This wikipost is locked
Print Wikipost

AA and ExpertFlyer "Expert Flyer" issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
@ExpertFlyer Voice should bring attention to this, but you can also use ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread
Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
For the second time within the last couple of weeks, EF has shown inventory availability that CK agents insist isn't available for sale. Today I was looking at a flight pair that had J3, D3, I2, and the agent insisted that it wasn't available for sale, and was only able to price out D. Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 10, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ikwia
For the second time within the last couple of weeks, EF has shown inventory availability that CK agents insist isn't available for sale. Today I was looking at a flight pair that had J3, D3, I2, and the agent insisted that it wasn't available for sale, and was only able to price out D. Has anyone else seen this?
are you doing a journey that is just that single sector to destination or is there a connecting flight. If the latter, if you check for availability for the whole journey in EF, does it show the same availability

Also, are you using the same point of sale as the region where you are calling AA
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And at the risk of asking the obvious, are you sure there's a published "I" fare that is valid for your dates of travel?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
are you doing a journey that is just that single sector to destination or is there a connecting flight. If the latter, if you check for availability for the whole journey in EF, does it show the same availability

Also, are you using the same point of sale as the region where you are calling AA
My most recent experience is a domestic 2 segment one way ticket. I was searching for the entire trip vs searching on a per segment basis. Point of sale is US in all cases.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
And at the risk of asking the obvious, are you sure there's a published "I" fare that is valid for your dates of travel?
Honestly, no, I am not. But do they really populate fare buckets if there is no corresponding fare?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Honestly, no, I am not. But do they really populate fare buckets if there is no corresponding fare?
Of course

Just becuase there may not be a fare for a specific booking class on a A-B booking , there may be passengers taking the A-B flight part of a longer itinerary for which that booking class is used

I don't know which route you are doing, but for example in AU, for SYD-MEL, QF has no published I class fare normally, however someone could purchase a LHR-MEL ticket in I class and travel via Sydney. In this case, the I class avalability on SYD-MEL is needed
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just becuase there may not be a fare for a specific booking class on a A-B booking , there may be passengers taking the A-B flight part of a longer itinerary for which that booking class is used
Yes, I understand that scenario. But in that case, I am used to seeing the availability in each fare bucket adjusted based on the full routing, based on married segment concept (and perhaps other factors). In searches, I often see different availability in the buckets for the same segment, depending on how it is paired with other segments.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course they do.
Sounds like you need to read ExpertFlyer's EduGuide: "Understanding How to Use ExpertFlyer to Your Advantage" which can be found here: https://www.expertflyer.com/expertflyer-support

This is EF 101.

Without knowing the specific dates and routing you are searching, we really can't help you anymore beyond this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Of course they do.
Sounds like you need to read ExpertFlyer's EduGuide: "Understanding How to Use ExpertFlyer to Your Advantage"
i actually have read that, and just reviewed it. I don’t see anything that references my specific issue, so if you had a specific pointer that’d be hepful. In fact, some of the language in there seems to imply that if a fare bucket shows availability it should be for sale.

Without knowing the specific dates and routing you are searching, we really can't help you anymore beyond this.
Here’s an example. Look at MCO-CLT-SAT on 15 March, AA667 and AA2692. Ok the availability just changed so now it is showing H1 and it will sell that. A few minutes ago it was showing availability in Y and B but not H, but the app wouldn’t sell the flight at all, even though there is clearly a Y fare available. But it is still showing I, but I is not available for sale. I don’t see a fare for I, but I also don’t see one for D, although I can book into D on the app.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here’s an example. Look at MCO-CLT-SAT on 15 March, AA667 and AA2692. Ok the availability just changed so now it is showing H1 and it will sell that. A few minutes ago it was showing availability in Y and B but not H, but the app wouldn’t sell the flight at all, even though there is clearly a Y fare available. But it is still showing I, but I is not available for sale. I don’t see a fare for I, but I also don’t see one for D, although I can book into D on the app.
[/left]
Well availability has changed and 2692 doesn't seem to have any availability in coach.
But FC is showing J/D/I availability on both legs.
However, as you state there is no fare currently published that books into "I" inventory that is valid for this flight (they probably all had advance purchase requirements of 7+ days, and possibly required round/trip purchase).
There are, however, fares that books into "D" inventory: K0AIZRD1, H0AHZND1, and H0AIZRD1. However, the first also requires K inventory to be available, and the second two require H inventory (2nd is nonrefundable, 3rd is refundable), so, without checking AA.com, I suspect you probably wouldn't be able to book those flights now (it would kick you up to a J fare most likely).

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:17 am

Thanks for the reply, that was helpful. I had only been looking for fares with a booking class of D, not fares that book into D...my bad. And actually, right now, AA doesn’t even show that routing when you search, even if you specify Business/First explicitly.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Has AA gone stealth with releasing C? Three weeks ago I didn't the EF alert for my upgrade but 48 hours prior to the flight I was upgraded (LAX-HKG). Just last night, I check my flight at 1 AM just for the heck of it. No upgrade. The 8 hours later, I see that I was upgraded for my return.

My thoughts are they are discouraging people from perhaps jumping the queue and quietly processing the upgrade list before they " publish" C space.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Has AA gone stealth with releasing C? Three weeks ago I didn't the EF alert for my upgrade but 48 hours prior to the flight I was upgraded (LAX-HKG). Just last night, I check my flight at 1 AM just for the heck of it. No upgrade. The 8 hours later, I see that I was upgraded for my return.

My thoughts are they are discouraging people from perhaps jumping the queue and quietly processing the upgrade list before they " publish" C space.

Ok... I stan corrected... It's now approx 8 hours after my SWU cleared for tomorrow's flight (HKG-LAX) and now I get EF alert letting me know there's C space on the flight. So Just for kicks, I log into EF and see that there are 3 C spots available. And now eight of the 13 open seats are now available when I looked this morning.

Has anyone seen this flight go out with an empty seat ever?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Is EF inventory still real-time (or close to it) in the last few minutes before a flight?

I was on ORD-LAX last week and second on the upgrade list; it showed J2. I approached the GA at T-10min and asked if she had processed the list. She said she hadn't...I said something like "OK, well let me know...looks like it's J2 and I'm second on your list" and she immediately (without looking at anything) said "oh, no you'll be 3rd now, there's someone else ahead of you that isn't on there." I of course reacted incredulously to that, which caused her to change her story to "somebody just bought a full fare J ticket at the airport ticketing counter." My response was "uh, I'm looking at your inventory and it still says J2" but that just kicked off an accusatory conversation like I'm not supposed to have that information. In any case, she only cleared one person off the list, and they did indeed fill all the seats. I'm still suspicious (paranoid?) that they snuck some friend in, but obviously I have no way of knowing.

So I guess my question is, how far can I trust EF in a situation like this? Is her story (full-fare in-airport purchase that didn't deplete the EF inventory) plausible? I know that I've been on the phone booking a flight with AMEX and I can refresh my search and see the inventory depleted immediately. But then I also know that the flight in question still showed J2 after they cleared the gate upgrade, so it wasn't accurate at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.