Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 23, 22, 11:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: BobbySteel
Wiki Link
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
NOTE: The BarclayCard US Airways Aviator credit cards were offered to US Airways Dividend Miles members and "grandfathered in" to the AAdvantage program. Now p, you can sign up for several Aviator cards, though the Silver Card is generally available after one has had another Aviator Card at least three months.

There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. An April 2015 article on The Points Guy details them.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator (Jason Steele, April 13th, 2015).

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to FT thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Red applications are available at the airport or in flight in 2017, or online at https://home.barclaycardus.com

New Red cardholders may apply to upgrade to Aviator Silver after 90 days. Existing Red cardholders (prior to 2017) may apply to upgrade to Silver at any time.

Aviator Silver offers EQM:

"Additional Benefits of your Account

Elite Qualifying Miles

The primary cardmember may earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles ("EQMs") after spending $20,000 in Net Purchases that post to the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account from January 1st through December 31st each calendar year. The primary cardmember may earn an additional 5,000 AAdvantage® EQMs each calendar year when the cardmember reaches $40,000 in spending on Net Purchases with the AAdvantage Aviator Silver account during the same period. An AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver primary cardmember may earn the maximum 10,000 EQMs once per calendar year, unless the cardmember has already earned the maximum number of EQMs through another AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account. EQMs earned are in addition to the AAdvantage miles earned for Net Purchases made on the AAdvantage®Aviator™ Silver account. Net Purchases exclude returned goods and services, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, fees and interest charges. Net Purchases made by authorized users through additional cards on the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account will count toward the primary cardmember's qualifying spend. EQMs earned as a result of this benefit will typically be posted to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement. EQMs will not count toward Million Miler℠ status. EQMs cannot be redeemed for award travel, AAdvantage® miles or any other AAdvantage® program awards. EQMs earned with the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver account qualify toward the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® program elite status earning requirements each calendar year, subject to the limits under the Reward Rules and the AAdvantage® Program. Full details on elite status and qualifications are available in the AAdvantage® section of aa.com."

As of 2019, only the Silver card gets EQD and the levels are higher: spend $50,000 on a Barclaycard-issued AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn 3,000 EQD. If you earn at end of year this will hit in January but be back dated to your prior year qualification.

You can not hold both cards and combine earnings. You can notvearn more than $6,000 EQD spend offset in one year. Qualifying purchases are 1 Jan - 31 Dec of one year.

See EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Card – announcement, details for further information.

and FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and Partner Airlines (2017 on)

Spend $20,000 on your Silver card in one calendar year, earn 5,000 EQM; spend a total of $40,000 or more on your Silver card, earn 5,000 more EQM.

Above updated 16 Feb 2017 - JDiver

What are the benefits of the Aviator Silver card?

• Earn 3X miles for every dollar spent on eligible US Airways and American Airlines purchases
  • Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on hotels and car rentals
  • Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on all other purchases
  • Earn 5,000 Elite Qualifying Miles for each $20,000 in annual purchases (10,000 maximum EQMs per year)
  • First checked bag free for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation
  • A Companion Certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each will be issued each year after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Premium Servicing including US-based Customer Service, World Elite Concierge and Luxury Travel Benefits
  • Receive 10% of your redeemed miles back, up to 10,000 miles each calendar year
  • Apply for Global Entry with TSA PreCheck and, upon approval, experience expedited, more efficient security screenings, moving you smoothly through U.S. Customs when returning from traveling abroad. Pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with your card and you'll automatically receive a $100 statement credit 2-3 weeks after your transaction.
    • With this benefit, the primary cardmember can receive one application fee statement credit every 5 years when the Global Entry membership needs to be renewed.

What are the terms of the 10% rebate benefit?

According to the Aviator card FAQ,
For this benefit to apply, your account must be open and active at the time of redemption.

The American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you will earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year.

This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage® account. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary Cardmember’s AAdvantage account.
Thus, this benefit
  • applies to all miles redemptions, regardless of the passenger name on the airline ticket or other award.
  • is limited to 10,000 miles in rebates per calendar year, regardless of how many Barclays and/or Citi AA cards you have.

For additional information about the 10% rebate benefit, see FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (consolidated)and the associated wiki.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 23, 18, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Barclay doesn't do auto CLI, I've had mine for over 7 yrs (US Card) and all of my CLI I've had to ask for it, and yes, it is a hard pull.
My recent statement shows an unrequested CLI.
Old Feb 23, 18, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've had two unrequested CLI's since I received my card about a year ago. Neither were hard pulls on my credit.
Old Feb 24, 18, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
You neither need a "code" nor the dates of your travel. That is just flight attendants trying to convince you that you are getting a special offer.

The terms you reference are the standard offer that anyone and everyone can receive. Found here:
https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html

Regards
Thanks. The applications handed out by the attendants directed me to myaviatorcard.com. That site asked for a promote code and the date of travel. Hence my questions.
Old Feb 24, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
Thanks. The applications handed out by the attendants directed me to myaviatorcard.com. That site asked for a promote code and the date of travel. Hence my questions.
Yep, that information is required for the flight attendant to get their commission And certainly no harm in doing that if they are the one that "sold" you on the card, but also not required.

Regards
Old Feb 25, 18, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Yep, that information is required for the flight attendant to get their commission And certainly no harm in doing that if they are the one that "sold" you on the card, but also not required.

Regards
I see. Didn't know the attendants would get commission. No wonder they offered pens to complete the applications on the flights!
Old Feb 26, 18, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
How long will it take to get the miles after paying for the annual fee and making a purchase?
Should credit on the second statement if you pay the AF on the first statement and made a purchase.
Old Mar 9, 18, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by bbbb View Post
Should credit on the second statement if you pay the AF on the first statement and made a purchase.
I am on my second statement already with no credit yet - I sent a message to Barclay this morning. Hmmm....
Old Mar 9, 18, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG View Post
I am on my second statement already with no credit yet - I sent a message to Barclay this morning. Hmmm....
When the second statement closes. You would then be on your third statement having paid the fee after your first statement closes and then waiting for the second statement to close.
Old May 9, 18, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Priority Pass, Global Entry, TousAntiCovid Pass
Question EQM from Barclay Aviator Silver Card - Time to Post?

How long does it take for Barclay to post EQM and EQD for Aviator Silver card in AA?

I qualified for 5000 EQM on April 20 (verified in Barclay's counter inside account site). My April billing statement closed on May 3, and all purchase based miles were posted in AA on May 4. But my 5000 EQM is still missing. According to the following blog from One Mile at a Time, his/her EQM and EQD from Aviator Card posted immediately after meeting the spending requirement.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....dit-card-post/

What is your experience? According to online account site, it takes 6-8 weeks for Barclay to post EQM and EQD in AA. So will it be productive to call Barclay's customer service now?

Thanks,
Tintin
Old May 9, 18, 11:03 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
How long does it take for Barclay to post EQM and EQD for Aviator Silver card in AA?

I qualified for 5000 EQM on April 20 (verified in Barclay's counter inside account site). My April billing statement closed on May 3, and all purchase based miles were posted in AA on May 4. But my 5000 EQM is still missing. According to the following blog from One Mile at a Time, his/her EQM and EQD from Aviator Card posted immediately after meeting the spending requirement.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....dit-card-post/

What is your experience? According to online account site, it takes 6-8 weeks for Barclay to post EQM and EQD in AA. So will it be productive to call Barclay's customer service now?

Thanks,
Tintin
Don't you earn 10,000 EQM's after spending $40,000 on the Citi Aadvantage Executive World Elite card, and $3,000 EQD's after spending $25,000 on the Aviator Red or Silver World Elite cards, and another $3,000 after spending another $25,000 on the Aviator Silver?

For the Aviator Silver, I'd be surprised if the EQD's took longer than 30 days after your statement closing date.
Old May 10, 18, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Priority Pass, Global Entry, TousAntiCovid Pass
Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
Don't you earn 10,000 EQM's after spending $40,000 on the Citi Aadvantage Executive World Elite card, and $3,000 EQD's after spending $25,000 on the Aviator Red or Silver World Elite cards, and another $3,000 after spending another $25,000 on the Aviator Silver?

For the Aviator Silver, I'd be surprised if the EQD's took longer than 30 days after your statement closing date.
You can earn a total of 10,000 EQM per year from credit cards. But you can earn EQM from both cards Citi Executive and Barclay Aviator Silver. For example, you can earn 6,000 EQM from Citi Executive and then a maximum of 4,000 EQM in that year from Barclay Aviator Silver. You cannot earn EQD from the Citi cards. EQD is exclusive to Barclay's (like Admirals Club membership is exclusive to Citi). That is why, it is advantageous to spend money in the Aviator Silver card. You can simultaneously earn credit towards both EQD and EQM. You can find more details in AA's Aviator Silver site below:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...mastercard.jsp

So, the question is, how long does it take for Barclay to post EQM and EQD in AA's site? Silver card holders: can you comment on this, please?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I was wrong. As many pointed out below, you can earn $10,000 EQM from each card (Citi Executive and Barclay Aviator), that is, a total of 20,000 EQM per year.

Last edited by Tintin; May 10, 18 at 3:36 pm Reason: Correction. Incorrect information in my original post.
Old May 10, 18, 4:55 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
You can earn a total of 10,000 EQM per year from credit cards. But you can earn EQM from both cards Citi Executive and Barclay Aviator Silver. For example, you can earn 6,000 EQM from Citi Executive and then a maximum of 4,000 EQM in that year from Barclay Aviator Silver. You cannot earn EQD from the Citi cards. EQD is exclusive to Barclay's (like Admirals Club membership is exclusive to Citi). That is why, it is advantageous to spend money in the Aviator Silver card. You can simultaneously earn credit towards both EQD and EQM. You can find more details in AA's Aviator Silver site below:

So, the question is, how long does it take for Barclay to post EQM and EQD in AA's site? Silver card holders: can you comment on this, please?

Thanks.
Just reviewed my account for 2017:

The 5,000 EQM's and the 3,000 EQD's from the Barclay Silver Aviator Card posted approximately three weeks after the statement closed with dollar spend that surpassed the qualifying threshold.

By the way, you can earn 10,000 EQM's from EACH of the cards (the Silver Aviator and the Citi Executive World Elite).
Tintin likes this.
Old May 10, 18, 5:19 am

I qualified for $3K EQD on 4/20/18 according to my Aviator online statement. The EQD posted this morning on AA.com.
Old May 10, 18, 9:04 am

I qualified for 5k EQM two weeks ago, just posted within the last couple of hours.
Tintin likes this.
Old May 10, 18, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond

Thanks.
This is not correct, you can earn 10K EQM from EACH CC for a total of 20K EOM without stepping onto a plane. I've been doing this for a few years. It's an easy way (if you have the spend) to make elite with AA.
Tintin and jcatman like this.

Search this Thread