Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I had a 15 minute schedule change on a paid trip once and asked for a full refund. The agent told me I could make a fee free change and scolded me for asking for a refund ("as EXP, you know better") but actually ending up processing it as a refund for me. Point being - YMMV.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
need to call POS for reinstatement of cancelled award?

My EXP account is US based. However, I also have credit cards etc in the UK, and because of the generous travel insurance of the UK Amex Plat, I often make award reservations with my UK credit card. I recently made an award booking for my wife/daughter from my account, which they needed to cancel close to the departure date. I called the EXP line to cancel a couple of days prior, and the agent said they would cancel the award booking (which they did), but they couldn't redeposit the miles/ fees because of the UK POS, and that I need to process the refund at the airport. I actually had a couple of flights in the US this week, and I asked both the regular check-in counter and in the Flagship Lounge, and they both said they don't process refunds at all, and it needs to be done online. This thread suggests that isn't right either, and one needs to phone to have miles redeposited.

I haven't bothered calling again due to time constraints. I'm also OK with calling the UK AA number, but due to lack of EXP desk, the potential hold times is putting me off doing so..so I wanted to check with the board first what the correct approach should be.

thanks in advance,

tb
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by trueblu
My EXP account is US based. However, I also have credit cards etc in the UK, and because of the generous travel insurance of the UK Amex Plat, I often make award reservations with my UK credit card. I recently made an award booking for my wife/daughter from my account, which they needed to cancel close to the departure date. I called the EXP line to cancel a couple of days prior, and the agent said they would cancel the award booking (which they did), but they couldn't redeposit the miles/ fees because of the UK POS, and that I need to process the refund at the airport. I actually had a couple of flights in the US this week, and I asked both the regular check-in counter and in the Flagship Lounge, and they both said they don't process refunds at all, and it needs to be done online. This thread suggests that isn't right either, and one needs to phone to have miles redeposited.

I haven't bothered calling again due to time constraints. I'm also OK with calling the UK AA number, but due to lack of EXP desk, the potential hold times is putting me off doing so..so I wanted to check with the board first what the correct approach should be.

thanks in advance,

tb
Just to answer my own question, for future reference. The refund couldn't be done online: the online refund form suggests calling in, which hadn't worked on the US EXP line. So eventually I called the UK number: the CSR took some time to deal with the issue: she needed to create two new PNRs for the tickets, since the flight date had passed, but once that was done, she was able to cancel the itinerary without issue, and the miles were redeposited. I haven't double-checked to see if the (trivial) taxes have been redeposited to my CC yet, I assume that will also go through fine. So it does seem that one needs to call the POS service desk to get miles redeposited for cancelling an award.

tb
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:01 pm

quoting the Wiki;

NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

know that the computer wants to charge $150 each

...?????
I thought it was just a case of an unknowledgeable agent. Why does the computer contradict the published rule?Maybe its the rule that is sloopily written?
In any event why is an agent going to manually override the computer for a lower price?

I used the flyertalk rule, if you don't get the answer you like, just be polite ,, don't get your file notation ,Thank them and get off line asap so another incoming call to the agent will occur.

However , I have tried Four different agents ,all want $175 for a pair of tickets on two separate reservations.

It seems if the the COMPUTER wants $150 on each first ticket that I am up against a tough battle,
"manually adjust the price charged",I am not dealing with the Explat desk.

I have 2 cancelled tix on a web saver totaling 56.000 miles and 2 tixs on a regular award totaling 50,000 miles.
four agents said $350 , i,e $175 per cancelled reservation. to reinstate 106,000 miles.
Obviously the verbiage is 150 + 25 +25+ 25+m25 or $225.

ALL four agents quoted $ 350 without even pricing on the computer.

1- Has the rule changed?
2-if not Would you suck it up and just pay the extra $125?

What Am I going to do ., call 15 times?

I thought maybe to pay the $350 and then write aadvantage customer service after the fact pointing out what I paid and what I should have paid.
Is this the best strategy?

Thanks for advice and time
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:04 am

Rudimentary mileage awards redemptions questions...

Some newbie questions on mileage awards redemptions for ExPlats.

1. The "web specials" while cannot be changed, may be refunded without fees?
2. Are there time restrictions, i.e., must flight cancellation be requested within a certain amount of time for fee waiver to apply? Any different rules for web saver, mileage saver and standard?
3. Awards redemptions via 500 upgrades - does this exclude "web specials"?
4. If I understand it correctly, 500 mile upgrades may be requested for TCON redemptions?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Visconti
Some newbie questions on mileage awards redemptions for ExPlats.

1. The "web specials" while cannot be changed, may be refunded without fees?
2. Are there time restrictions, i.e., must flight cancellation be requested within a certain amount of time for fee waiver to apply? Any different rules for web saver, mileage saver and standard?
3. Awards redemptions via 500 upgrades - does this exclude "web specials"?
4. If I understand it correctly, 500 mile upgrades may be requested for TCON redemptions?

Many thanks.
1. Yes, web specials are no different than any other awards for EXPs, the mileage redeposit fee is waived.
2. You must cancel the flight before the scheduled departure time to be able to redeposit the miles. This is the same for all awards including web specials.
3. Not quite sure what you mean, but web specials are no different than normal awards in that 500-mi/UDU upgrades can be requested by EXPs on all applicable flights within North America.
4. Yes, as an EXP you can request an upgrade for a transcon award flight. If you are eligible for an EXP 500-mi/UDU upgrade on a paid flight then you are eligible on an award flight.
Visconti likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Wrong thread
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich

know that the computer wants to charge $150 each

ALL four agents quoted $ 350 without even pricing on the computer.

I thought maybe to pay the $350 and then write aadvantage customer service after the fact pointing out what I paid and what I should have paid.
Is this the best strategy?

I have run into this problem more in the past year than anytime in the past and I don't know what is going on. I even had an Aadvantage Agent tell me it would cost $150 per reinstated award unless the awards were all on the same record. The example she gave was a family traveling together with miles from the same account. That is clearly not what the published rule says.

Among the possible explanations:

1. Agents don't know the rules of their job (very likely).

2. Agents don't want to do a manual override or don't know how to do it (also very likely).

3. Agents have "unofficially" been told to ignore the rule in order to collect additional revenue and/or discourage mileage reinstatements (since this is American, also very possible).

For me, This has put a major chill on collecting and using Aadvantage miles as I often have to adjust my schedule and don't want the hassle of calling in and arguing about the company's own rules.

United has been much easier in this regard, as the fees are lower for redeposits and it can all be done quickly online with just a few clicks.

Last edited by JetAway; Dec 29, 2019 at 12:09 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
I just cancelled Webspecial award for 3 and no problem

I had to cancel a web special award and had no problem. First she told me I could just wait and use same city pairs at later date, but when I said they were web special she changed and I said it will be $150+25+25 and rep said yes. Maybe I shouldn't have said they were web special but I am sure computer would have caught it.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rrohio
I had to cancel a web special award and had no problem. First she told me I could just wait and use same city pairs at later date, but when I said they were web special she changed and I said it will be $150+25+25 and rep said yes. Maybe I shouldn't have said they were web special but I am sure computer would have caught it.
The info for the web specials says they cannot be changed. It aslo indicates the miles can be redeposited for a fee, so I would not expect a problem in redepositing the miles.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
If my AA award price has dropped would I be charged $150 to reissue?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by slickvik
If my AA award price has dropped would I be charged $150 to reissue?
Unless you hold EP or higher status, yes, you would.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
Unless you hold EP or higher status, yes, you would.
Looks like web saver opened up. Not worth the risk of redepositing and hoping the award is still available after that.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:28 pm

So, as I understand the rule, a mileage redeposit (with fee for under ExPlat) is permitted so long as the ticket was cancelled before departure. Does this really mean what it says? Like, can you cancel that same day? Assuming the answer is yes, is it ok to wait a bit to call in to pay the mileage redeposit fee? So, even after the date the flight you cancelled departs?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:01 pm

I have 2 qr awards in J from DOH>PHL. Would I be able to add a domestic segment to that. (PHL>ORD) and just be charged the 150+25? Or does the whole married segment thing come into play

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.