Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Parker: "To try to change the program (to revenue based) right now would be foolish."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker: "To try to change the program (to revenue based) right now would be foolish."

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Sticker revenue might be $100 million but this is offset by passengers that would otherwise pay for F but use stickers instead.
I have trouble believing this. Stickers are no guarantee of F so why would someone who's prepared to pay for F take the risk that the UG doesn't come through? Sure, a few such pax may exist but I don't believe there's even close to enough of them to make a dent in that $100m.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Sticker revenue might be $100 million but this is offset by passengers that would otherwise pay for F but use stickers instead.

For upgrades DL appears to have this figured out best. Price F competetively, then release UDU slowly so Diamonds and Plats have a fighting chance on many routes. Throw the bone to Gold and Silvers, they might get an upgrade at off peak hours.

Stickers seem to primarily benefit employees flying on their comany's dime where policy prevents paying for F. Although there are exceptions, why market to these people? They are often on company contracts, or hub captive, or told what to buy by management. Better to market the program to those that have more flexibility in their choice of carrier.
$100mm will be easily replaced with the combined aa:us. No way they won't do udu like everyone else. Delta has figured it out and aa will copy.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Agree that DL is at the forefront here, the combined AA-US management team in Ft. Worth/Tempe have an established successful model to follow. UA-CO didn't have this at the time of their merger.

For upgrades, stickers can also be replaced by miles and copay - it's not really that different.

They may already do this but I'd allow for a no-fee upgrade from non-refundable economy to non-refundable first. This provides another way to upgrade for those that are bound to economy tickets by work rules and would provide revenue to the airline.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
They may already do this but I'd allow for a no-fee upgrade from non-refundable economy to non-refundable first. This provides another way to upgrade for those that are bound to economy tickets by work rules and would provide revenue to the airline.
Sadly they don't do this today. If they did this AND merged EQP/EQM so that you got 150% EQM for an A fare, I'd probably do this on a number of routes. When I did my challenge to get back to Platinum, I did it almost all on those kind of discount A fares.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Stripy
A couple of people haven said this....and I don't get it. Hotels give status based on nights stayed so how's that directly related to spend? What am I missing?
Hotel stays generally do not have the price swings that airfares do. And of course, stays booked on PL, HW and other opaque sites do not earn points. DL and UA have been taking baby steps towards a revenue based status model and I would make any bet that when the combined AA FF program is announced in 2015 if not a totally spend model certainly moving in that direction. I also eventually see smaller premium cabins on mostly domestic a/c (such as the 8F seats on the A319). Lets face it, eventually its only going to be the high dollar spend paxs sitting in comfort.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of people haven said this....and I don't get it. Hotels give status based on nights stayed so how's that directly related to spend? What am I missing?
You are missing there is very little equivalence between "miles" and "nights". Note that WN, despite using a revenue based status qualification system, still allows one to qualify solely based on "flights". However, they do not count individual segments (each one-way trip is a flight), so you can't really game the system with segment runs. This translates far more closely to nights than miles do. I'd expect the legacies to adopt something similar to WN's program if they go to revenue based qualification. So the cheap fare flyer still has a shot at status and an incentive to remain loyal. However, it is unlikely they will be able to get status nearly as cheaply as some of the heavy mileage runners currently can.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
You are missing there is very little equivalence between "miles" and "nights". Note that WN, despite using a revenue based status qualification system, still allows one to qualify solely based on "flights". However, they do not count individual segments (each one-way trip is a flight), so you can't really game the system with segment runs. This translates far more closely to nights than miles do. I'd expect the legacies to adopt something similar to WN's program if they go to revenue based qualification. So the cheap fare flyer still has a shot at status and an incentive to remain loyal. However, it is unlikely they will be able to get status nearly as cheaply as some of the heavy mileage runners currently can.
That's what came to my mind too - the hotel programs dont differentiate based on category of hotel either. You can be Marriott Plat after 75 nights at the Fairfield Inn or Silver after 49 in a suite at the Ritz Carlton.

I would do much better if AA granted status based on one-way trips. I'd be solidly Platinum at least.

It would be the best way, in theory, to measure loyalty.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by TXguy
That's what came to my mind too - the hotel programs dont differentiate based on category of hotel either. You can be Marriott Plat after 75 nights at the Fairfield Inn or Silver after 49 in a suite at the Ritz Carlton.
if you stay 49 nights at full service properties Marriott will surely provide status above the level "earned" according to strictly following the program rules. I have benefited from this "generosity" offered as a reward for my loyalty on numerous occasions.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I think a revenue model is a bad idea, as it skews towards passengers flying expensive routes rather than profitable passengers. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but there's a lot more that factors into a customer being valuable than the pure revenue they spend.

I think the BA tier point system does a better job. It greatly favors passengers who pay for premium class travel.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston
if you stay 49 nights at full service properties Marriott will surely provide status above the level "earned" according to strictly following the program rules. I have benefited from this "generosity" offered as a reward for my loyalty on numerous occasions.
I have too after about 15 nights with quite a lot more booked, but most of the nights already stayed and reservations weren't even at full service properties so it's not even so much about revenue in all cases.

Regardless, my point was about the rules of the programs. Obviously, challenges, "gifts," status matches, etc. happen.

Last edited by TXguy; Aug 17, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:42 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have a strong suspicion that AA will probably do something similar once they get past the grunt work of getting the merger right. You can see elements of this in things like AFS, the 772/763 refurbs, and so on.
I diagree. AFS is a joke compared to what it used to be just last year. The seat and IFE may be better on the new planes, but everything else is worse. DL J is better than AA F at this point and I have switched - at least until January of 2015 when I need to requalify for EXP.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I diagree. AFS is a joke compared to what it used to be just last year. The seat and IFE may be better on the new planes, but everything else is worse. DL J is better than AA F at this point and I have switched - at least until January of 2015 when I need to requalify for EXP.
If AA is so much worse, why do you need to requalify for EXP?

Also, it seems rather silly to invest millions in hard product (that can't easily be redone, you're committed once the hardware goes in) and neglect the soft product. DL's actually been plowing some of their profits back into the J soft product. Why wouldn't AA once they get their merger behind them?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If AA is so much worse, why do you need to requalify for EXP?

Also, it seems rather silly to invest millions in hard product (that can't easily be redone, you're committed once the hardware goes in) and neglect the soft product. DL's actually been plowing some of their profits back into the J soft product. Why wouldn't AA once they get their merger behind them?
Because Dougie seems intent on racing UA to the bottom.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Rental cars as well. National doesn't reward or penalize my spending - just rewards my continued patronage of their services.

Of course, rental car prices can vary as wildly as air fares. I can rent the same class of car for a similar time frame and it can be double in one location over another.

Last edited by Superguy; Aug 18, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TXguy
Because Dougie seems intent on racing UA to the bottom.
How so? I don't see the new 772s as "racing to the bottom", for instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.