Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Parker: "To try to change the program (to revenue based) right now would be foolish."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker: "To try to change the program (to revenue based) right now would be foolish."

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:02 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If AA is so much worse, why do you need to requalify for EXP?
Well I was specifically bashing AA transcontinental F vs. Delta transcontinental J. That stated, with the meal changes coming, I will see how 2015 unfolds and reconsider my choices (which I know are very limited) for 2016.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
How so? I don't see the new 772s as "racing to the bottom", for instance.
Or the 763s being refurbished. Or the increase in the number of regional jets with an F cabin (and 12 F seats in them, for that matter), while decreasing the number of 50-seaters (and below) with no F cabins. AA is practically circling the drain of the toilet bowl!!!!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I'd be interested in seeing if the combined US/AA went another way, towards a more European model where upgrades basically don't exist. Given it's Parker, I imagine we'd also borrow some greatest hits from the ULCCs, although probably not to the extent many fear. The DL/UA model seems to be heavy on promises but low on delivery (e.g., you earn miles but it's harder to use them, everyone gets free upgrades but only the Diamond/1Ks end up sitting up front most of the time, etc). A model set in opposition to that might be provide an interesting choice at a time many FFs are deciding programs have nothing left to influence them.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jmr50
I'd be interested in seeing if the combined US/AA went another way, towards a more European model where upgrades basically don't exist. Given it's Parker, I imagine we'd also borrow some greatest hits from the ULCCs, although probably not to the extent many fear. The DL/UA model seems to be heavy on promises but low on delivery (e.g., you earn miles but it's harder to use them, everyone gets free upgrades but only the Diamond/1Ks end up sitting up front most of the time, etc). A model set in opposition to that might be provide an interesting choice at a time many FFs are deciding programs have nothing left to influence them.
You mean like VX?

I'd just mention that it took them 5+ years to pull a profit (it's not very consistent), and DL is lapping them. UA is even ahead of them in terms of ROIC.

AA would need to rip out a lot of premium-class seats if they went to a VX-style model (note that VX flies with 8F on A320s). Flying around with half full F and J cabins isn't good business when your competitors have 80% load factors.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by jmr50
Being a refugee from UA, I can tell you UA pretty much got rid of status upgrades. Every attempt is made to "sell" using points or money an upgrade to anyone of any status (Kiosk upgrades, point of sale upgrades, etc., etc..) and only, if every other attempt has been made and there is a left over seat, will they provide a status upgrade. Global Services (CK in America speak) tend to suck up the one or two seats they put aside for irrops. Occasionally a 1K sneaks in, but hardly ever anyone below that.

So smart or dumb? I left, as did quite a few others, and there is little incentive to be loyal to UA. If you have to fly UA, you can get a credit card and get a free bag checked, early boarding, etc... The real cost is in the cost of customer acquisition. So UA sells my upgrade for $50 to Ma and Pa Kettle: score $50 for Jeff & Co. However, when I take my $2k+ trip to London to AA, or my mileage run for $800 trans-con, etc., etc... and UA has to spend money to attract occasional travelers, UA loses money. Hence, their falling PRASM (Passenger Revenue per Available Seat Mile) problem. Will AA follow in UA's footsteps?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by dcdavido
Being a refugee from UA, I can tell you UA pretty much got rid of status upgrades. [...] Will AA follow in UA's footsteps?
Great perspective. As an AA elite who is happy to pay for stickers when necessary, let's hope Dougie doesn't get too clever with the new scheme.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:15 pm

From American's presentation at the Boyd Group's Intl. Aviation Forecast Summit this week, notes from the summary as posted to another site: "New AAdvantage to be launched with programs merging in 2015."

"New" AAdvantage. Hmm.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by grahampros
I fully expect we'll see Revenue based starting with the 2016 program after everything is merged. I actually think revenue based is a great idea but will shut down a lot of the Flyer talk posts since millage runs for cheap will become a thing of the past. The airline industry was always the oddity that your perks were not related to your spend.
The way status is earned is not changing over at UA, duh

Please show me one person who does mileage runs for RDMs... just one.

The revenue system benefits OPMers, and screws everyone else. That is the reality of it. If we had a system that actually benefits the entity that is spending the money, not the OPM flyer - than it would be fair.

Earning RDMs from flying is just a drop in the bucket in the world of credit cards anyway. Nothing will improve with a revenue system in terms of award space etc, and status will still be earned the same way anyway.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
AA would need to rip out a lot of premium-class seats if they went to a VX-style model (note that VX flies with 8F on A320s). Flying around with half full F and J cabins isn't good business when your competitors have 80% load factors.
Aren't the new AA A320s all configured with 8F seats? Everyone I've flown has been.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Rebob
Aren't the new AA A320s all configured with 8F seats? Everyone I've flown has been.
Those are A319s, which are a little smaller. AA has no A320s on order.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
2016 will be a monetary based flyer program. Dougie has gutted the AA frequent flyer program that even the FAs are disgusted. I bet the wish they could back peddle from their shady back room deals. Though the pilots were the worst. Good luck fighting for seniority between THREE airlines. It's only going to get uglier. I can't wait to see these "savory snack baskets". I definitely am not paying for an F seat less than 3 hours again. That's for sure!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where is the proof that shows that all the FAs dislike what has happened; I would find it strange that most would even care about the FF programme
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
... Dougie has gutted the AA frequent flyer program that even the FAs are disgusted...
I don't feel that aadvantage has been gutted. The changes have been modest. I doubt very many people used oneworld explorer awards if that is what you are referring to.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by jlsw7
I don't feel that aadvantage has been gutted. The changes have been modest. I doubt very many people used oneworld explorer awards if that is what you are referring to.
AAdvantage miles were devalued...since the Dynamic miles awards started there have been fewer sAAver awards available and many sAAver trans Atlantic awards are now in BA with their insane surcharges. At a conference in SEA, I met quite a few people who were planning to book OneWorld explorer awards then got quite the shock when Dougie axed it overnight with no warning. They were not happy campers, to put it mildly.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
2016 will be a monetary based flyer program.
So, you believe that the 2016 AA FF program will use $ spend on OneWorld to determine status for 2017? That miles will be out of the equation?

I don't buy it.

--woodstock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.