Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is a simple situation - either it is compliant or it is not - whether 1cm or 10cm over it is too large

If AA gate consistent in measuring, then maybe people who think that the size rules to not apply to them will realise that they do and start taking on compliant bags

There is no reason to allow 1" over
Tell that to the all the luggage manufacturers that refuse to accurately state the dimensions of their products.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by yngdiego
I totally understand policing carry ons for extra large bags that clearly may not fit in length wise, or checking bags when they actually run out of space. But I've never seen AA just randomly grab luggage from people and measure it, let alone tell a few F pax they have to check the bag when just barely over size by an inch.

My bag fit in the sizer, so I didn't have to check it. But I did make a snarky comment to the GA saying something like "Do you want to measure my iPhone too?"
AA's new thing is consistency. Since some agents would let one inch over slide and some would let three or four, you never knew what to expect, so AA is making it clear that if it exceeds the dimensions of the sizer by any measure, it has to be checked. There's a similar crackdown going on with overweight bags, currently being discussed in another thread. Snarking at the GA for just doing their job in accordance with what HDQ wants isn't going to accomplish anything.

Originally Posted by NDIrish821
I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago flying XNA to ORD. Gate supervisor was sweeping the crowded gate area asking anyone/everyone to place their rollerboard in the frame to measure. The best part is....this is a CR7 aircraft where all rollerboards are valet checked anyways. Everything was going in the hold, whether it was valet checked or gate checked.

She approached several EXP and CK passengers ticketed in F who were asked (told) to check their bags at the gate prior to boarding. Needless to say, they were not pleased. I somehow managed to avoid that disaster myself, but a scary precedent if this continues ...
The difference is that the gate-checked oversize carry-ons are delivered to baggage claim. It sounds like the personnel involved were following correct policy.

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Tell that to the all the luggage manufacturers that refuse to accurately state the dimensions of their products.
How is that within AA's control?

I agree that it is part of the problem though.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Does the carry on bag policy also apply to flight crew?

(I often see more that Id be allowed.)

I mean if rules are rules, and everyone is just doing their jobs....
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Does the carry on bag policy also apply to flight crew?

(I often see more that Id be allowed.)

I mean if rules are rules, and everyone is just doing their jobs....
Seriously?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Seriously?
Seriously.

Not that I am going to tattle, or report, or make an issue...

In fact I tried a search and couldnt find the answer (poor choice of search terms I am sure). I did find posts about WHERE crews can store their bags, but nothing on limits.

Is it a 'perk' or do FAs and crew have a different limit? I seem to recall they get some kind of allowance for 'flight manuals', but not sure how that translates into bag counts or bag sizes.

Oh, a relative was an FA for years, married to a pilot. Even though I am a 'carry on only' packer, their ability to travel light was breathtaking...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA
All this talk has me planning a trip to the airport to check my carry on to make sure it will fit in their bag checker.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Rebel54
All this talk has me planning a trip to the airport to check my carry on to make sure it will fit in their bag checker.
This is the most intelligent statement in this entire message thread.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have the wherewithal to fly First Class coast-to-coast or across oceans and/or who have jobs where employers make money by flying them First Class coast-to-coast or across oceans are unable to purchase or use a carryon bag that fits in the airline carryon bag sizers.

Take the dang suitcase to the airport and try it in the sizer.

If your suitcase is too big and if you still want to avoid checking, buy a smaller suitcase and donate your old one to one of the many charities that provide suitcases to foster children. Better a disadvantaged young person move to a new home with possessions in a nice suitcase than a plastic garbage bag.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Seriously.

Not that I am going to tattle, or report, or make an issue...

In fact I tried a search and couldnt find the answer (poor choice of search terms I am sure). I did find posts about WHERE crews can store their bags, but nothing on limits.

Is it a 'perk' or do FAs and crew have a different limit? I seem to recall they get some kind of allowance for 'flight manuals', but not sure how that translates into bag counts or bag sizes.

Oh, a relative was an FA for years, married to a pilot. Even though I am a 'carry on only' packer, their ability to travel light was breathtaking...
Their stuff is usually (but not always) in one of the lockers. Size is pretty much in line with our pax limits but if you mean bag counts = more than 2 that's pretty common. No big deal to me unless it's a crew member commuting, but even the extra bags are as a rule pretty small. If I boarded late and I was forced to check a compliant bag because the overhead was crammed with crew stuff that should be under the seat then it would be a big deal I guess. I just haven't experienced that yet.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have the wherewithal to fly First Class coast-to-coast or across oceans and/or who have jobs where employers make money by flying them First Class coast-to-coast or across oceans are unable to purchase or use a carryon bag that fits in the airline carryon bag sizers.

If your suitcase is too big and if you still want to avoid checking, buy a smaller suitcase and donate your old one to one of the many charities that provide suitcases to foster children. Better a disadvantaged young person move to a new home with possessions in a nice suitcase than a plastic garbage bag.
I gather that the new sizer is accurate. Carry-on dimensions are published. If one can afford an F ticket, hopefully a $0.49 measuring tape from CVS won't send you into bankruptcy.

Particularly helpful for those with soft-sided bags which are certainly compliant until they are over-stuffed and then they aren't.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Often1
I gather that the new sizer is accurate. Carry-on dimensions are published. If one can afford an F ticket, hopefully a $0.49 measuring tape from CVS won't send you into bankruptcy.

Particularly helpful for those with soft-sided bags which are certainly compliant until they are over-stuffed and then they aren't.
Lol you beat me to the tape recommendation. ^ I have several of these from the Container Store but they are more expensive.

CStore tapes
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I've heard reports that some AA dragons care about whether the bag goes into the sizer "easily" or "requires effort". So might it not be worthwhile to "practice" on a sizer (if you can find a sizer you can practice on)? A tape measure just gives you numbers, it doesn't show you how to put your bag into the sizer so that an AA dragon doesn't claim it "required effort" and thus has to get checked.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:24 pm

When you watch the boarding process, there are far fewer passengers trying to bring over-sized bags on the plane than there are passengers bringing on over-sized personal items. If a passenger has 2 items and one of them won't fit under the seat, one of them has to be checked. Passengers not in the bulkhead placing 2 items in the overhead are a big contributor to overhead space filling up.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But I've heard reports that some AA dragons care about whether the bag goes into the sizer "easily" or "requires effort". So might it not be worthwhile to "practice" on a sizer (if you can find a sizer you can practice on)? A tape measure just gives you numbers, it doesn't show you how to put your bag into the sizer so that an AA dragon doesn't claim it "required effort" and thus has to get checked.
Maybe give yourself 1/4" and there won't be any effort? Honestly, this really only becomes a big deal when people push it just that bit too far.

It sends a real message when people in Zone 117 or whatever see a guy at the head of the line for F being pulled aside and treated just like everybody else.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Thank you. I literally live across the street from HNL. I could walk to it if I wanted to. I'd rather just go make sure it will fit than not. I did measure it and it seems ok but it's not a perfectly flat box and I worry a bit about the handle being too tall or the wheels pushing it a hair beyond the allowance and then I have a problem. We will be traveling from HNL to PRG and I will be carrying my camera gear, toiletries and a couple changes of clothing. I want to be prepared for all potential issues and I'm not checking my camera gear. I'll make the little extra effort to go to test it. The first case I bought was allegedly in size but when I got it, the wheels put it over AA's allowance. I have the smallest of three from a set I ordered that is hard sided and it meets AA requirements in theory and will def be ok for BA.

Better safe than sorry.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:24 pm

Maybe give yourself 1/4" and there won't be any effort? Honestly, this really only becomes a big deal when people push it just that bit too far.

It sends a real message when people in Zone 117 or whatever see a guy at the head of the line for F being pulled aside and treated just like everybody else.
I don't want to be that "guy." Hence the trip to the airport. Since the airport is VERY close to my house, it's worth my peace of mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.