Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:36 pm

I am one who travels light and avoids checking luggage if at all possible. On some TATL trips, I have to check luggage and it is usually either damaged or delayed, which is why I despise checked luggage with a purple passion.

My usual carry on fits the sizers of the airlines that get really anal about sizing luggage like RyanAir and WizzAir, as well as AA and BA, but I never like to see the luggage nazis going crazy on any airline. RyanAir gives employees bonuses if they catch people with oversize luggage, and they have to check it at a rather large fee, so they are some of the worst of the luggage nazis. I have never had my carry on rejected, but it is annoying to have to always dip in it their stinking sizers.

Well, now it looks like AA is becoming RyanAir as to luggage.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Boarding planes is faster when you dont have 150 people too cheap to check a bag trying to squeeze their obviously oversized item into the bin. If you wanna carry on, then get a real carry on size bag.
Too cheap? NO, I just don't want my bags damaged or delayed by the baggage mishandlers / luggage throwers employed by airlines, which usually happens if I have to check luggage. And the stinkers won't pay for damage if they disable wheels or a handle.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
i will be in business class CDG-CLT then first CLT-SFO. my only carry-on will be a personal item measuring 32" x 12" x 3". it is fragile and i would prefer to not check it. what are the chances of having this work? anyone have any recent experience?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by geezersrule
i will be in business class CDG-CLT then first CLT-SFO. my only carry-on will be a personal item measuring 32" x 12" x 3". it is fragile and i would prefer to not check it. what are the chances of having this work? anyone have any recent experience?
The definition of a personal item is by the airline, NOT YOU. A personal item s defined as fitting underneath the seat in front of you. So a 32" inches long item is not a personal item. Since it is not 22x14x9 or less, the agents will have all the rights to make you check it.

But anything can happen and you may be let on board with it.

If that happens, you will take the space of at least two compliant carry-ons. And you probably don't want anybody to put anything on top of it because it is fragile? To take so much space is just rude.

Personally, I would slam my 21" carry-on on top of your fragile item, if it fits on top of it. Sorry.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by carlosdca

If that happens, you will take the space of at least two compliant carry-ons. And you probably don't want anybody to put anything on top of it because it is fragile? To take so much space is just rude.

Personally, I would slam my 21" carry-on on top of your fragile item, if it fits on top of it. Sorry.
You may want to seek some help for your anger issues.

In a J cabin (except on the 75L) the bins are almost regularly half empty. I think a sane and rational person would politely ask an agent to move an item that was taking up so much space and not purposefully damage it. By purposefully damaging someone else's property, you could be held liable for criminal mischief or damage.

Although when my kid was two he would do similar acts just to spite someone who did him wrong.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
You may want to seek some help for your anger issues.

In a J cabin (except on the 75L) the bins are almost regularly half empty. I think a sane and rational person would politely ask an agent to move an item that was taking up so much space and not purposefully damage it. By purposefully damaging someone else's property, you could be held liable for criminal mischief or damage.

Although when my kid was two he would do similar acts just to spite someone who did him wrong.
OP Continuing on CLT-SFO. No 75L.
I've seen those domestic F bins pretty full and tight.

It really does not matter if I have anger issues.

The point is that the OP is better off checking his item (and packing it with padding, bubble wraps, or whatever) because:
1) There is a risk they will make him check the item anyway.
2) ME or another passenger, either voluntarily or not, may slam his carry on on top of OP's fragile item.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geezersrule
An overhead bin (or any other storage place on the plane) is not necessarily the right place to put anything that's fragile, no matter what it's size! It can actually be worse if there's plenty of space for it, because it will be knocked around a lot in any turbulence. Plus, as carlosdca pointed out (a bit dramatically !), many people won't notice that the item you put in the overhead bin is fragile and will just throw their heavy rollaboards on top of it if that fits, not because they've mean, but just because they're not paying attention.

So I would suggest you have to pack it as fragile-proof as if you were shipping it or checking it. And then the question becomes, is it easier to just ship it or check it, or if you do need to take it on the plane, can you ask if it can be stored in a closet (as some musical instruments are sometimes, for example). If the latter, try to make sure you board as soon as you can (with the first call for business class, not long after coach has started boarding).

So IMHO fit and fragility are two totally separate issues. How you can fit a 32x12x3 item is a separate question for how you can safely transport a fragile item on a plane.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 6, 2015 at 2:17 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
C'mon, man-- The Pope was just here.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not wait until everyone has loaded rollerbags in to the bin, then ask nicely if you can put your item on top of them?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Why not wait until everyone has loaded rollerbags in to the bin, then ask nicely if you can put your item on top of them?
JohnNYC:

anyway, yeah...if the agents have not made the OP check in the 32" long item, then that would probably be the thing to do.

However, it is not uncommon to see someone get to their bags in the bin during flight for whatever reason, even pull them out completely (get some headphones, work papers, a sweater, etc) and then put them back in the bin and the OP's 32" long 3" tall fragile item will be at risk of getting damaged again.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:43 pm

I just boarded flt 4 LAX/JFK and no sign of enforcement. I did put my Ebags Motherlode 21-inch bag, which is rated as 15"'wide, and it fit in the sizer with no spillover. It also had room to spare on the depth (the bag is 9").
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Flew out of JFK today. No sign of enforcement. I didn't even see a sizer at the gate.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Contracted sizer <redacted> have been in full force at the entrance to security at both ORD and PHL lately.

Since these people are contractors, don't work for the airlines, the TSA, law enforcement, etc., what would happen if one simply ignored them and walked by? I mean, if you refuse to put your bag in the sizer for them and just keep walking, what's the worst possible outcome? Can they legally block your entry into the TSA checkpoint?

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 23, 2015 at 9:11 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Are there other airlines that offer larger carry on allowances? If so, just say you are flying those airlines and keep going.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:20 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Are there other airlines that offer larger carry on allowances? If so, just say you are flying those airlines and keep going.
At ORD, the sizer <redacted> is the same person checking TSA pre-check credentials, so they see your boarding pass. Might work at PHL though where the sizer gestapo is at the bottom of the escalator leading up to security.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 23, 2015 at 9:08 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.