Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two Class Airbus A321-200 / A321S In Service as of Aug 2014
The Airbus A321-200 A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of the A321 with 159 in service, 60 on order*. These will also replace most Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 aircraft with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All 321s in the LAA fleet and order are technically "32B" aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™.

The A321S variant of American's Airbus A321-200 aircraft is the "plain vanilla" two class twin engine narrow body replacing the Boeing 757-223 and filling in on routes with higher capacity requirements than those filled by the rapidly disappearing MD-80 or Boeing 737-800 and MAX 8 aircraft.

A321S and A321H: (16Y, 165Y including 38 MCE) two class “32B” A321-200 with Sharklets wingtip devices used in normal domestic and short international service, and in the A321H ETOPS version West Coast - Hawai’i service. SeatGuru “A321 V2”.

A321H: This particular two class A321 variant is fitted with auxiliary fuel tanks and is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on mainland-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load restrictions, some Hawai'i flights will be load-restricted, and seating may be changed if weather / winds aloft issues require it for weight and balance restrictions (higher probability on westbound flights).

First seats are said to be 21" wide, pitch 38"; Economy seats to be 18" wide, 31" pitch (34" in Main Cabin Extra / MCE / XE). But exit and bulkhead seats may be 16.5” wide. See gwade’s post here.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra" seats with extra leg room
  • In-flight WiFi
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller. . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)

Note: IFE boxes reduce under seat space in window and aisle seat rows.
Small mesh pouch provided for personal items. See #165 for photos.
Seat pitch in coach seems lower.

Exit row / notable seats include:
  • Row 11 (MCE / XE): A, B, and C have virtually infinite leg room but virtually no underseat storage due to a protrusion immediately behind the row 10 seats blocking access. D and E have infinite leg room and access to underseat storage under row 10. There is no F seat in this row due to the presence of a FA jumpseat. Pictures of row 11 are posted in post #366.
  • Row 12 (MCE). Due to a system limitation, AA (mostly incorrectly) has this coded as an exit row on the seat map. It is not. 12 A, B, C, D, and E are standard MCE seats. 12F has no seat in front of it and technically has a direct path to the exit (hence the legal requirement they designate at least that side as an exit row). The underseat storage under 10F is not easily accessible due to the presence of a FA jumpseat.
    • MCE / XE has limited overhead space: the bins above row 11 contain emergency gear
  • Row 24 (only B, C and D, E seats - may have somewhat limited recline)
  • Row 25 (25A and F have no seats in front of them)
  • Row 36 has limited recline and is directly in front of the Economy lavs

NOTE: Under “Project Oasis” all seats will be replaced, and seat pitch will be reduced. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

*July 2015
Print Wikipost

LAA 2-class Airbus 321S / A321H (Sharklets) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by njhart
Thanks, yeah its not an "S" its a 32B but it doesn't match seats on the US 321
For new aircraft both manufacturers use the 3 digits/letters after the type - A321-xxx or B737-8xxx as a code for airline and the specific configuration that they were ordered in, including engine choices if there is one. So a 321-32B means an A321 ordered by AA with a certain cabin configuration (which AA calls the 321T). A 321-32S is an AA 321 (the 32) in a different configuration (S instead of B).

For planes acquired initially by another carrier, the code will give the airline that ordered them and the original configuration, so an airline can end up with a mix of codes for the same type plane. For example, HP acquired some A320's initially ordered by BN so those planes had the same 3 digit BN configuration code as the day they were built.

Jim
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That'll be a tough route for upgrades...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
This new aircraft type is being discussed in this thread already: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-schedule.html
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Actually, the stand-alone AA plan was 24F/150Y. That changed when Parker and Kirby held a townhall meeting last June in DFW and told AA employees that AA would have to reevaluate seating density decisions.
I was under the impression that it was always AA's plan to drop the A321s down to 16F.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by crAAzy
I was under the impression that it was always AA's plan to drop the A321s down to 16F.
No. I heard 24F at first as well.

Thanks to Dougie, AA will have fewer F seats than DL and UA on comparable domestic aircraft for the most part.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PE
Are these two-class A321s new deliveries from Airbus or are they existing US birds?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SlaveToTheMiles
Are these two-class A321s new deliveries from Airbus or are they existing US birds?
According to this thread, they are new. They are also a different configuration than the new 321's that US is receiving, even though those have AA livery. So there will be 3 321 configs, new AA (this plane), new/old US (painted in either US or AA colors but flown by US), and transcon (AA).

I'd like to get some research on the mini cabin and exit rows once people start flying this.

Last edited by WheelsFirst; Jun 29, 2014 at 11:57 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by fly747first
Exactly
But the 738s have significantly fewer Y seats and, thus, a higher percentage OF F seats.

If these small F cabins stick around, even EXP upgrade chances will fall significantly, much less chances for Golds/Plats who actually pay for their upgrades at AA unlike the equivalent elites at UA and DL.

I'm at exactly a 50% success rate this year so far on sticker upgrade requests as a Gold and was #1 among those who didn't make it on one flight and #2 on another. I know that will probably not be the case in the future. 50% will likely be the success rate for EXPs.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by makfan
Looks like it'll be a tough upgrade and a higher chance of sitting in MC- or having to pick a middle in MCE. Fun, fun, fun. Imagine the 752s with just 16 F, given how often the SFO/LAX-MIA flights go to F0 before any sticker upgrade windows open.
AA was already reducing F count before the A321 was ordered - many 22/24F 757 routes were replaced with 16F 738. Dougie is just continuing the process with the 16F A321.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I've tried to look up the routes mentioned in this thread to see the seat maps for the specific flight/dates/times, but I do not see a 2-class A321 showing on any of them. Anyone have any examples of routes showing on the AA.com booking engine?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I've tried to look up the routes mentioned in this thread to see the seat maps for the specific flight/dates/times, but I do not see a 2-class A321 showing on any of them. Anyone have any examples of routes showing on the AA.com booking engine?
LAX/MIA RT 9/5 to 9/8

LAX-MIA AA 228 is a 32B as is MIA-LAX AA 231.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by TXguy
No. I heard 24F at first as well.

Thanks to Dougie, AA will have fewer F seats than DL and UA on comparable domestic aircraft for the most part.

"The new LCC is arriving"
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
LAX/MIA RT 9/5 to 9/8

LAX-MIA AA 228 is a 32B as is MIA-LAX AA 231.
Thanks - found it on AA228 LAX-MIA on 9/05.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
DL has just gotten really creative with their aircraft layouts and galleys and carts to maximize space. I'm sure coach will be tight on the DL 321s but just look at AA's 319s and what rave reviews Y flyers are giving it.
DL is also most likely going to configure these with the Airbus space saving lavs (which their upcoming A320/319 mods will get) which see both rear lavs go behind the rear door flush against the bulkhead which frees up more floor space for seats. That enables an additional row to be installed.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by TXguy
Originally Posted by fly747first
Originally Posted by CMK10
Why? there are currently three 738s flying this route with 16F
Exactly
But the 738s have significantly fewer Y seats and, thus, a higher percentage OF F seats.

If these small F cabins stick around, even EXP upgrade chances will fall significantly, much less chances for Golds/Plats who actually pay for their upgrades at AA unlike the equivalent elites at UA and DL.
I don't think you understood what fly747first was saying. You're arguing the same point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.