Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Got upgraded 10/8 on AA255. Y wasn't even sold out. Wife didn't get bumped but there was an empty seat in 11B so she was happy. Will update on our return.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Gold.
10/7 AA18 Got upgraded from MCE to Business on 500-Mile upgrade certs, was automatic at the 24 hour mark as I am currently a Gold. I put in my request 4 weeks ago when Gold was assigned to my account.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Avis Preferred
Roll up

Originally Posted by Finsup72
It doesn't need to upset you - if you want to fly business or first, then purchase a business or first ticket. They will roll folks from J --> F only if Y is oversold. I've gotten a J --> F upgrade maybe half a dozen times in the last couple years, so it certainly happens if there's a need. F tends to fill up with non-revs at the gate, but there is the possibility of empty F seats if Y is not oversold.
It upsets as I am often hoping that roll up from Business to first will happen so that I can upgrade from coach to business. The fare difference by the time I booked these with my boyfriend was ~$500 for $2500 for business ~$3500 for 1st. I felt like those were large price differences. I called and asked to pay for an upgrade several times, but each time was only offered full fare reticketing which would mean paying about ~$5000 more for us to fly in business. When you consider it, American loses revenue by flying first empty at the gate, as it could process upgrades, 500 certs, miles and fees by moving more customers to business. It also does this rollup once in a while and then not at other times.

I, also, think that as many loyal frequent flyers really want affordable upgrades, flying a bunch of empty first class seats is a deterent from chosing American on a competitive route.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by krakendown
You can use Miles+$ to upgrade to F. Don't even need to wait just call and get it that way.
I called. I had bought economy and they were holding business and first for revenue. No upgradable C fares released.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Blondeonboard
It upsets as I am often hoping that roll up from Business to first will happen so that I can upgrade from coach to business. The fare difference by the time I booked these with my boyfriend was ~$500 for $2500 for business ~$3500 for 1st. I felt like those were large price differences. I called and asked to pay for an upgrade several times, but each time was only offered full fare reticketing which would mean paying about ~$5000 more for us to fly in business. When you consider it, American loses revenue by flying first empty at the gate, as it could process upgrades, 500 certs, miles and fees by moving more customers to business. It also does this rollup once in a while and then not at other times.

I, also, think that as many loyal frequent flyers really want affordable upgrades, flying a bunch of empty first class seats is a deterent from chosing American on a competitive route.
Half of the time I have flown F, half of the seats are non-revenue passengers, and there are usually one or two empty seats. The other half, F is full of paying customers and occasionally celebrities. American wants to preserve price integrity in F on these routes, so rolling upgrades on a regular basis are not going to happen at this time. Most of my American flights nowadays are paid J on these routes, and I often upgrade to F using miles. If you want consistent J as a Platinum, plan ahead and buy J, the pricing is competitive far enough out.
Finsup72 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
CK's have it made

Got upgraded 10/8 on AA255. Y wasn't even sold out. Wife didn't get bumped but there was an empty seat in 11B so she was happy. Will update on our return.
I had to get this off my chest as I felt cheated. On our return journey (AA32 10/13) we get to LAX like usual check in our bags and head through security at this point, I'm on the upgrade list as #1 and EF is telling me F0 J1 so I'm pretty happy going to the gate safe to say. We head to the FL and make a pit stop. Check again and ask the ladies if business is all checked in, "No 1 seat is empty". Meaning not sold. So far so good again and still #1 . We start heading to the gate about 20 minutes since its LAX. No delays as well, Great! Gate starts making their announcements about carry-ons, etc. Still #1 . Now this is when things get interesting, I was about to go to the gate agent to remind her aobut upgrades and low and behold a new name pops up and now I'm second. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I asked the gate agent if she's processing upgrades and she says yes and up until that point I was #1 and was thinking of clearing when I was going to speak to her. I could see there was no opportunity now. I guess my question is there something I could have done as EXP or do CK's get that much leeway in terms of upgrade priority.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had to get this off my chest as I felt cheated. On our return journey (AA32 10/13) we get to LAX like usual check in our bags and head through security at this point, I'm on the upgrade list as #1 and EF is telling me F0 J1 so I'm pretty happy going to the gate safe to say. We head to the FL and make a pit stop. Check again and ask the ladies if business is all checked in, "No 1 seat is empty". Meaning not sold. So far so good again and still #1 . We start heading to the gate about 20 minutes since its LAX. No delays as well, Great! Gate starts making their announcements about carry-ons, etc. Still #1 . Now this is when things get interesting, I was about to go to the gate agent to remind her aobut upgrades and low and behold a new name pops up and now I'm second. I was flabbergasted to say the least. I asked the gate agent if she's processing upgrades and she says yes and up until that point I was #1 and was thinking of clearing when I was going to speak to her. I could see there was no opportunity now. I guess my question is there something I could have done as EXP or do CK's get that much leeway in terms of upgrade priority.
I imagine anyone who would normally be above you on the upgrade list would get priority right up until the moment they clear the upgrades. CK, EXP with higher rolling EQD, EXP using Miles/SWU, displaced passenger...
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
it was probably just a higher-than-you-EQD EXP who switched on to your flight last-minute... I've done it and been the only to clear... way more than once!
Adelphos likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
On a premium transcon, my guess is miles and copay rather than higher last minute EXP. But each could be likely on a full flight.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
SFO-JFK, cleared into J at T-24 with companion - sticker upgrade as a Gold. This is for Dec 23, so minimal competition for upgrades.
morrisunc, Adelphos and krakendown like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mangoMan
SFO-JFK, cleared into J at T-24 with companion - sticker upgrade as a Gold. This is for Dec 23, so minimal competition for upgrades.
Nice. Honestly AA F availability into and from NYC can be great if you can pick and choose ideal times.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Upgrade confirmed about 50 hours out as Plat Pro. LAX to JFK on Wed 1/16 12pm.
5 out of 6 of last flights upgraded since becoming plat pro last month.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'mm looking for a vote of confidence with the possibility of a complimentary upgrade Y->J for the Saturday, 9 PM JFK-SFO flight.

Seats in all classes are pretty much open. I just am wondering if the Intl inbound JFK-SFO folks haven't selected seats in J and F. AA is currently offering the option to upgrade to next class of service for SWU's too.

I may have missed a a sweet spot as there was a dip in pricing for J and I hesitated to reserve it. Now I'm regretting it today as I should have held the reservation then as it has gone up $180!

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Jan 20, 2019 at 11:17 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:09 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by beachfan
On a premium transcon, my guess is miles and copay rather than higher last minute EXP. But each could be likely on a full flight.
This is the only way I've been able to upgrade on JFK-LAX/SFO. My last sticker upgrade was a year ago next week.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I;m looking for a vote of confidence with the possibility of a complimentary upgrade Y->J for the Saturday, 9 PM JFK-SFO flight.

Seats in all classes are pretty much open. I just am wondering if the Intl inbound JFK-SFO folks haven't selected seats in J and F. AA is currently offering the option to upgrade to next class of service for SWU's too.

I may have missed a a sweet spot as there was a dip in pricing for J and I hesitated to reserve it. Now I'm regretting it today as I should have held the reservation then as it has gone up $180!
Based on loads so far, I think your chances are decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.