Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA2070
They're down 1 A321T at the moment due to the "wing contact" event at JFK in April . They pulled one JFK-LAX off of the schedule. I am actually suprised they didn't steal it from the two that BOS-LAX requires.
Where did you read about them pulling the flight from this route due to this in particular?

Regardless of that, I don't think this would have had a significant effect. 1 flight less is less than a 10% capacity reduction on this route.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
They are not operating the Monday 6am that I always take - 7am is the first that day and again its been J0 for over a month. I figured out the answer I think btw - TV Newfronts are this week in NYC. That will (unfortunately) do it
Old May 10, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by SEA737
Where did you read about them pulling the flight from this route due to this in particular?

Regardless of that, I don't think this would have had a significant effect. 1 flight less is less than a 10% capacity reduction on this route.
There's usually one between 1430 and 1700 (possibly 304 but don't hold me to that). I checked this on a Monday, a day where they traditionally operate all frequencies.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by uscjeff
They are not operating the Monday 6am that I always take - 7am is the first that day and again its been J0 for over a month. I figured out the answer I think btw - TV Newfronts are this week in NYC. That will (unfortunately) do it
Yeah the 7am would fill up more since the 6am folks probably want the earliest flight available. Also this time of the year they're running 3 redeyes instead of 2, pulling another morning flight (the 9am), so even less capacity in the morning.

Do you normally manage upgrades on the Monday 7am anyways? Seems like it'd be a tough one.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SEA737
Yeah the 7am would fill up more since the 6am folks probably want the earliest flight available. Also this time of the year they're running 3 redeyes instead of 2, pulling another morning flight (the 9am), so even less capacity in the morning.

Do you normally manage upgrades on the Monday 7am anyways? Seems like it'd be a tough one.
I actually usually do ok on the 6am (when its the earliest flight) but to your point AM capacity is super cut.

Thanks for the info on the redeye expanding too - totally did not realize that. Prob the better way to go
SEA737 likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Thanks for the info on the redeye expanding too - totally did not realize that. Prob the better way to go
Glad that helped!

Yeah, even looking at the next week the redeyes look much better (with the exception of Friday, which makes some sense). Also note that the 9:30 pm redeye seems to fill up more than the rest.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PPro
EP on the aa 238 from LAX to JFK on July 4. Currently in PE via status. Expert Flyer shows J7.

Would love to fly either business or first. I have a SWU to apply.

Should I wait to see how space fares, or put the SWU in play? Also what are the mechanisms to get from PE to F on this 3 class flight?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tfizzle
EP on the aa 238 from LAX to JFK on July 4. Currently in PE via status. Expert Flyer shows J7.

Should I wait to see how space fares, or put the SWU in play? Also what are the mechanisms to get from PE to F on this 3 class flight?
You cannot get from Y to F on this flight with upgrade instruments as you can only move up one class of service from your purchased class. To get to F, you'd need to purchase J.

I wouldn't apply a SWU here unless I had no international flights to use it on. Miles/copay is a better deal here (if not feeling confident about a UDU).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:08 pm

Officially, no, can't do Y->F.

If Y is oversold though and you're upgraded to J in advance, a cabin-roll might happen and then you could get the operational upgrade from J to F. Has happened to me. But I definitely wouldn't count on it.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I apologize if I missed this in the thread but didn’t see it here or in the miles/copay upgrade.

In in order to use a miles and copay upgrade for Y to J, there must be C availability right?

Only asking because I see a lot of A availability for first, but just wanted to make sure that only applies to upgrading a ticket from J to F and doesn’t also indicate Y to J space. Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Tbooth3
In in order to use a miles and copay upgrade for Y to J, there must be C availability right?

Only asking because I see a lot of A availability for first, but just wanted to make sure that only applies to upgrading a ticket from J to F and doesn’t also indicate Y to J space. Thanks!
That is correct. A is commonly available on this route but C is pretty rare (except for Saturday night flights). If C opens up, it likely won't be until T-48 at the earliest. There are some cases where C will open up in weeks or months in advance but it's very rare.

I don't think you need to burn a SWU from Y-->J on July 4. Check the fare buckets and if you see J start to dwindle, then probably worth calling in for miles + copay, but LAX/SFO-JFK is normally a business-heavy route, which makes upgrades easier on holidays and Saturdays.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PPro
Thanks for the advice I"m hoping the holiday travel helps. I'm also new to Expert Flyer and found the flight, AA 238, and it says J7, but on the seat map it looks like more are available. Is J the correct fare budget for a business seat on this flight and/or does EF only go up to 7, meaning there might be more than that available. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:41 am

Thanks for the advice I"m hoping the holiday travel helps. I'm also new to Expert Flyer and found the flight, AA 238, and it says J7, but on the seat map it looks like more are available. Is J the correct fare budget for a business seat on this flight and/or does EF only go up to 7, meaning there might be more than that available. Thanks in advance.
Only goes up to 7. If it's 2-3 weeks in advance, on a holiday, and with this much availability, based on past experience on that route as an EP I'd say you have a very solid chance.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
am scrolling through the chats here but hoping for some additional input. EXP here, usually like to fly early morning flights. Has anyone had higher success with upgrades on Sundays or Mondays overall, and is LAX easier than SFO or is it just me?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:29 pm

LAX is easier simply due to more flights. Can't speak to Sun/Mon success rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.