Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
7 people upgraded 4 days out?

Flying on AA179 (JFK-SFO) on 09/30. Last night business was showing J7. This morning I got upgraded, and I checked and the flight was suddenly J0. I know a couple people may have also purchased seats in J in the meantime, but still seems like a lot if not all 7+ seats were just filled with upgrades 4 days out!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:08 am

A little random, but for those that are flying out of JFK and have Priority Pass, does anyone go to Bobby Van's Steakhouse? Or would you be better off just heading to the lounge for food?

Though I just realized my flight time is right when it opens... so uhm... nevermind -_-

Last edited by buggy51; Oct 5, 2019 at 9:13 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Have to fly JFK-SFO on late afternoon of 11/12 - EXP on the lower-end (have $11K EQD on the year and probably won't renew), but have SWUs and miles+copay to burn. Worth burning an SWU on this? (Probably won't use them before they expire although who knows?) Or will UDU kick in? Should I break out the miles+copay?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by akhoya87
Have to fly JFK-SFO on late afternoon of 11/12 - EXP on the lower-end (have $11K EQD on the year and probably won't renew), but have SWUs and miles+copay to burn. Worth burning an SWU on this? (Probably won't use them before they expire although who knows?) Or will UDU kick in? Should I break out the miles+copay?
Depends on a number of things...UDU might kick in depending on day you're flying, time of day, etc. If you don't have any other plans for the SWU before the end of January, then I might use one. If you do have plans for it, then Miles + CoPay might be worth it. If it's important to you to fly in Business, then using an instrument is a good idea. JFK-SFO flights can often push 6.5 hours, and adding in time sitting in the seat taxiing, etc., can often be 7 hours. Not a bad use of an instrument if you can use one and don't have other plans for them.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by akhoya87
The 4 and 5pm departure from JFK-SFO tend to be difficult upgrades. Not terribly uncommon to see a number of EXPs in coach. I would use the SWU if you have no other planned use, especially since they expire at the end of Jan. Westbound (especially in Winter months) is a long flight.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
What’s the common wisdom on using BXP1s to upgrade two passengers from J to F on JFK-LAX?

The wife and I booked on revenue business class tickets on a Friday in January on the 8.30pm flight.

Should I be setting Expertflyer to look/alert for 2 Z seats? Any idea when I should expect to see seats released? I suspect given what I’ve read that J-F shouldn’t be tricky on this...These BXP1s expire early February so hoping they won’t go to waste!

Thanks!

Edit: Appears I actually only need A, which is available on my flight this far out. One 3min call to Business Extra and sorted. Impressed!

Last edited by Fraser; Oct 21, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Member

For folks that also look for that question - all depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. $28 is not alot to spend there - my cobb salad and unsweetened iced tea cost 31 cents plus a tip last week. Greek Salad with chicken was fine. I have done the wings and they were fine. Dont set your expectations too high - they are run by a third party company not owned by Bobby Van's from NYC.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
wow just got my first transcon upgrade LAX - JFK (using 500 miles) to J and it happened 20 minutes after booking the flight. well the flight is for tmw but stil.

Can I just a BXP1 to get into first? lol

Last edited by Amil; Nov 15, 2019 at 1:08 pm Reason: nvm
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:40 pm

Saturdays are typically easier UG days ex-JFK, but I haven’t heard as much ex-LAX. Great job!
Amil likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:14 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I have a JL-marketed flight in J on an A321T -- does anyone know how often AA does op-ups from J to F and whether being on a codeshare-marketed flight affects your chances?

I'm perfectly happy in business class, but part of you always wonders if there's a chance...
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
i've never seen such an empty upgrade list.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:06 am

Do you guys think that a separate configuration that is all business (change F to J) and the same coach confit would work for additional routes? Thinking JFK/SFO, LAX-BOS, SFO-BOS
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:24 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I suspect something similar to the current 757 product could work on some of the BOS routes (JetBlue makes it work), but from what I've read, the demand for F over J isn't there in Boston, and it's a bloodbath competing with UA/DL/B6.

I think at some point they will want to get some A321s, perhaps the A321XLRs they have on order, configured with a 16J/150Y configuration, and use those on thin TATL (e.g. PHL-EDI) routes, northern South America, and certain transcons (e.g. BOS-LAX).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:55 pm

Not a question on upgrades, but general schedule. Does anyone have any idea why AA have slashed the schedule on Saturday 15th February for JFK-LAX? They only have 5 flights planned, whereas 2 Saturdays before and 2 Saturdays after have the 'usual' 10. What is special about 15th February?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Not a question on upgrades, but general schedule. Does anyone have any idea why AA have slashed the schedule on Saturday 15th February for JFK-LAX? They only have 5 flights planned, whereas 2 Saturdays before and 2 Saturdays after have the 'usual' 10. What is special about 15th February?
No idea, but that is a holiday weekend. Maybe AA thinks there will be less Saturday travel because of it.
rossmacd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.