Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Flying JFK-LAX on a Wednesday. I strategically picked the 3:30PM departure as it was J7 and 9 seats showing as available on the seat map. There were only a few flights where J was more than a handful, so I hope I have a chance on this one.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
If you read earlier in this thread last year was a rough year for most folks for upgrades. Personally I've cleared at least 7/7 upgrade this year. I hit EXP in June so its been a busy year for me. I typically fly M/Thurs. However Tuesday and Friday has cleared for me as well. I'm currently halfway through my trip. My wife and I cleared on Monday. AA 0033 JFK/LAX. YMMV
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by krakendown
My wife and I cleared on Monday. AA 0033 JFK/LAX. YMMV
This Monday (i.e. Labor Day, i.e. anyone with a pulse ought to clear)? Or last Monday?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:51 am

Last Monday.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Hi all, apologies if this is the wrong place to post. I'm flying LAX-JFK this weekend on AA2201, I'm BAEC Gold (OW Emerald), and don't belong to AAdvantage. I'm travelling in Business at the moment, but wondered if there's any AA equivalent to a BA AUP, i.e. a cash upgrade on the day of travel? If so, can I buy an upgrade at any AA ticket desk (as I'm flying in to LAX from PDX and will have more time there), or will it need to be LAX, or even the gate?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Hi all, apologies if this is the wrong place to post. I'm flying LAX-JFK this weekend on AA2201, I'm BAEC Gold (OW Emerald), and don't belong to AAdvantage. I'm travelling in Business at the moment, but wondered if there's any AA equivalent to a BA AUP, i.e. a cash upgrade on the day of travel? If so, can I buy an upgrade at any AA ticket desk (as I'm flying in to LAX from PDX and will have more time there), or will it need to be LAX, or even the gate?
If you go to the kiosk, you may be offered a LFBU (load factor based upgrade). Other than that, you can always upgrade your fare to a first class fare without the change fee.

If you are booked in J, D or I, you can also buy some miles on AA and do a mileage upgrade.
Lucanesque and krakendown like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Excellent - thanks shd9
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:14 pm

Upgraded!

Cleared at the gate. AA2201. Business was all sold out too. Full flight. Wifey didn’t get bumped.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bworrell
Flying JFK-LAX on a Wednesday. I strategically picked the 3:30PM departure as it was J7 and 9 seats showing as available on the seat map. There were only a few flights where J was more than a handful, so I hope I have a chance on this one.
No upgrade for me. Almost everything (on a wednesday?) was J0. I ended up #5 on the list for no seats.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:18 am

AA1

Cleared T-56. First flight out on Monday. Also stop by the FL, the gate is nearby so no need to rush.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:55 pm

AA2201

Originally Posted by krakendown
Cleared T-56. First flight out on Monday. Also stop by the FL, the gate is nearby so no need to rush.
Cleared on my return LAX-JFK. T-24. Currently delayed stuck at the gate. Not sure what the hold up is however captain has reassured we will be leaving shortly. My Sunday trip looks full. I’m going to try making a SDFC.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Avis Preferred
Full Business empty first

Originally Posted by shd9

If you go to the kiosk, you may be offered a LFBU (load factor based upgrade). Other than that, you can always upgrade your fare to a first class fare without the change fee.

If you are booked in J, D or I, you can also buy some miles on AA and do a mileage upgrade.
I am booked an a Thursday flight with full business class and very full, likely oversold coach and an empty first class. F8 avail. Any chance they will roll some business up to first at the gate or will they fly another first class with 8 empty seats? I've seen it before and it is extremely depressing.

How do I go about trying to get offered a load based upgrade? i am only PLT with a high EQD flying with a companion this time. I am willing to pay for an upgrade, but not the full reticketing price of ~$1900 each I have been offered so far.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Avis Preferred
Full business, full coach, empty first

Checking again T-30 hours it shows full business, coach full except 2 seats, likely already sold to basic economy folks as only full fare economy available and 8 avail for purchase first class seats... any chance some business folks get rolled up at the gate or on the plane? or will those seats fly empty? Please help. I just want to know if I should expect to see an empty first class. It upsets me a lot.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Blondeonboard
Checking again T-30 hours it shows full business, coach full except 2 seats, likely already sold to basic economy folks as only full fare economy available and 8 avail for purchase first class seats... any chance some business folks get rolled up at the gate or on the plane? or will those seats fly empty? Please help. I just want to know if I should expect to see an empty first class. It upsets me a lot.
It doesn't need to upset you - if you want to fly business or first, then purchase a business or first ticket. They will roll folks from J --> F only if Y is oversold. I've gotten a J --> F upgrade maybe half a dozen times in the last couple years, so it certainly happens if there's a need. F tends to fill up with non-revs at the gate, but there is the possibility of empty F seats if Y is not oversold.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Blondeonboard
You can use Miles+$ to upgrade to F. Don't even need to wait just call and get it that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.