Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
A Wednesday night redeye is about as off peak as this flight gets. And assuming by end of December you mean after Xmas, then I'd say your chances are very good, as this time of year is a practical dead zone for normal paid business travel.
Thanks. Already cleared on the important leg from HKG.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Cash prices are starting to go up on LAX-JFK in the Dec 26 - 31 date range and discount business fare buckets are closing to 0. Not sure if this is related to upgrade availability
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphs
Cash prices are starting to go up on LAX-JFK in the Dec 26 - 31 date range and discount business fare buckets are closing to 0. Not sure if this is related to upgrade availability
I've been genuinely shocked at the holiday prices in this market. We're flying JFK-LAX Dec 22 returning Jan 1. When I first looked months ago, Y was $800+ and J was $1350. At that price, we grabbed J. Since then, Y prices for our flights have fluctuated from $800-$1100 with J at ~$2K. And even despite these prices J is filling up on the evening Dec. 22 outbound flights. I can't imagine there will be any advance upgrading on these flights.

On the other hand, F is near empty across the board. Possible buy-up options day-of?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:40 am
SST

I’m now 1/6 this year as an EXP on upgrades sfo-jfk. I am increasingly glad I’ve abandoned any plans to requalify.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:53 am

In my 18 weeks of JFK-SFO this year travelling Sunday afternoon/evening and returning on Thursday night's red eyes, I noticed that I have been more successful going from JFK to SFO direction in term of EXP Comp upgrade. I would say out of 18 times going that direction I would be upgraded about 60-70% of time. With that said, I have used a few same day change to flights that seems to be a bit emptier in business class that improved my upgrade opportunities. With that said, taking the red eye flights (either 9pm or 10:30pm) flights, I would say about about 30% of time that I would get upgraded. As a note, I have maintained about $13-14K rolling EDQ throughout the year.

This week, I am flying from JFK-LAX departing Saturday night's 8:15pm flight and got upgrade this morning so that about T-60 which is not too bad considered a couple of my JFK-SFO upgrade where down to T-4 and in one case upgraded after I sat down in coach.

Bottomline, I don't have a whole of expectations anymore from EXP status. I travel for work and maintain the status so that I have better choice of seat selection, occasional upgrades when available, use SWU upgrades for the entire family traveling outside of US, and access to EXP line when faced with IRROP. I tried UA's 1K last year through their status match and am not impressed with their service offering so I am sticking with EXP until work situation or travel requirements change.

On a side note, if there are others flying this Saturday night needing access to Flagship Lounge to ping me. I can bring two guests.

l8r

-doc

Last edited by doctor3; Nov 9, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:53 am

FWIW I’m Plat Pro with ~12K EQD, was # 1 out of 8 or so on the upgrade list today. I was the only one that cleared at the gate. They cleared a couple others after the plane was fully boarded (I assume paid J got moved to F which then left a few seats open to get folks from Y to J).
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Flew on AA163 on 11/21 from JFK-LAX and cleared at about T-60. There were 3 or so passengers who cleared at the gate. Economy class was not 100% full as one would expect due to the upcoming holiday.

What I find interesting is that this time I didn't receive the usual upgrade notification when my complimentary upgrades cleared for both legs of my trip...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ngls
Flew on AA163 on 11/21 from JFK-LAX and cleared at about T-60. There were 3 or so passengers who cleared at the gate. Economy class was not 100% full as one would expect due to the upcoming holiday.

What I find interesting is that this time I didn't receive the usual upgrade notification when my complimentary upgrades cleared for both legs of my trip...
Same - no notification email when I cleared 11/22 AA1 JFK-LAX. Noticed it on the app about 26 hours out which allowed me enough time to quickly pre-order the breakfast burrito.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
PLT - cleared at the gate on Wednesday afternoon (AA12).

So, if you're a PLT, just make sure you fly the week after Thanksgiving on Wednesday afternoons, and there's a chance. We got that going for us, which is nice.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by doctor3
...I noticed that I have been more successful going from JFK to SFO direction in term of EXP Comp upgrade.
Ditto, except for me, the same is true on SWUs. I easily clear comp upgrades or nab Miles/SWUs a couple days before on JFK-LAX/SFO because there is often availability. As far as the return (LAX/SFO-JFK)I've not cleared the waitlist on SWUs multiple times, even on Wednesday red-eyes, and despite being #1 on the Upgrade List.

In fact, I've been checking EF for my flight from SFO-JFK this Friday afternoon, and it went from J2 a few days ago, to J6 maybe two days ago, held steady at J6 this morning, and this evening went rapidly to J2 and J1.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:19 pm

What's the typical load on the 6am LAX/JFK flight on Fridays? First time on this route (not flying until mid February). Two BXP1s cleared for my girlfriend and I on the return, but no C space on the outbound yet with BXP1s waitlisted. Think I'll be low on the upgrade totem ladder (will have ~$13k rolling EQDs) but want to get my [lack of] expectations straight.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
Originally Posted by BayAArea
PLT - cleared at the gate on Wednesday afternoon (AA12).

So, if you're a PLT, just make sure you fly the week after Thanksgiving on Wednesday afternoons, and there's a chance. We got that going for us, which is nice.
I'm a PLT on the 5p Wed flight this week, does the week after the week after thanksgiving count? ��

Last edited by chutchins; Dec 4, 2017 at 9:41 pm Reason: typo + emoji fail
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I have to book JFK-LAX and v.v. next week and would love some advice on best chances to upgrade. I used to always do either a SWU or miles+copay for this route, but they've never cleared in advance and given it's only days away from comp upgrade window opening, not sure it's worth it. I know using confirmed upgrades are supposed to put you higher in priority, but even as EXP, I've watched seats continually disappear in the 48 hours prior to flight without clearing and always wondered if it was really any advantage - and have heard that since they clear from different inventories (C/R), it's possible that they will open R space without opening C space. Urban legend or does anyone know if there is truth to this?

And here's what the loads currently look like for the flights with the most J seats open (most of the others have only a few seats left)
JFK-LAX: F3 A0 J7 D7 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E6
LAX-JFK: F4 A0 J7 D5 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0

I'm out of SWUs but would do miles+copy if it really is an advantage. Any words of wisdom?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Same - no notification email when I cleared 11/22 AA1 JFK-LAX. Noticed it on the app about 26 hours out which allowed me enough time to quickly pre-order the breakfast burrito.
I'm not getting notification e-mails in general thee days, but that's for another thread
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I just read somewhere that AA no longer gives day-of cash J->F upgrade options. Is that true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.