Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by ntamayo
LAX is easier simply due to more flights. Can't speak to Sun/Mon success rate.
anyone have a opinion if aa trascon j is better then Cathay j, yvr-jfk?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Ijones027

Cathay J is going to be equivalent to AA Transcon F as far as seats go (reverse herringbone).
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Ijones027

If you are flying YVR-JFK, then CX business is the best. Definitely not worth flying 1,000 miles out of your way to get on AA 321T business via LAX/SFO, especially as this is an overnight redeye flight.

If you are flying LAX/SFO-JFK, then AA business is the best. Definitely not worth flying 1,000 miles out of your way to get CX business, especially as this is an overnight redeye flight, and would require separate tickets.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Could be PDX/SEA based
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you are flying YVR-JFK, then CX business is the best. Definitely not worth flying 1,000 miles out of your way to get on AA 321T business via LAX/SFO, especially as this is an overnight redeye flight.

If you are flying LAX/SFO-JFK, then AA business is the best. Definitely not worth flying 1,000 miles out of your way to get CX business, especially as this is an overnight redeye flight, and would require separate tickets.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
I need to fly LAX-JFK redeye on a thursday in August, hoping to upgrade from Y to J. Any thoughts on which of the 3 flights might be the best bet? AA 10 at 9:45, AA 28 at 11:00, and AA 292 at 12:30.

I am EXP, but no SWU's left, so I'm guessing mileage upgrade is the way to go? Has anyone gotten a comp upgrade in the summertime on a thursday? I have done it in the past but it was years ago.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stmen
I need to fly LAX-JFK redeye on a thursday in August, hoping to upgrade from Y to J. Any thoughts on which of the 3 flights might be the best bet? AA 10 at 9:45, AA 28 at 11:00, and AA 292 at 12:30.

I am EXP, but no SWU's left, so I'm guessing mileage upgrade is the way to go? Has anyone gotten a comp upgrade in the summertime on a thursday? I have done it in the past but it was years ago.
I'd just choose the flight with the most open seats. If they're anywhere under J7 I'd say low chance this far out.

Even better would be to hedge by booking through Amex travel (if you have Amex Plat) with one of their special fares that you can change with no AA fees. If J capacity drops on the flight you chose, you can always choose to move later to another one if you think the fare difference is worth it.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Upgrades on LAX-JFK Biz to F, Coach to Biz???

Hi All,

I'm hopeful that this has not fully been answered. If so, please forgive in advance. I'm flying to JFK in a few weeks. I'm currently in coach. I'm an Exec Plat and I've asked AA Exec Plat desk to put me on the miles upgrade list so that I can get ahead of the complimentary upgrades. I noticed that there are 8 unfilled seats in F and 7 unfilled seats in biz. Can anyone speak to at what point in time does AA start to upgrade people? I know that they want to sell the seats first, second and third. If I didn't see huge availability I wouldn't be posting. Also, on this three-cabin flight have people in Biz been getting upgraded to F or they will fly with those seats empty?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tomj888
Also, on this three-cabin flight have people in Biz been getting upgraded to F or they will fly with those seats empty?
Complimentary upgrades from J to F don't happen the same way they do from Y to J. J->F upgrades have to be supported by miles or an instrument like an SWU.

The F seats might not fly empty because AA employees can waitlist into those seats if they aren't sold and nobody is upgrading from J into them.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:44 pm

Once again forgive the stupid question. I have a ton of different instruments to use for upgrade. Since its so rare to fly three cabin aircraft these days, does anyone know if you can go from economy to first using different modes of upgrades?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Once again forgive the stupid question. I have a ton of different instruments to use for upgrade. Since its so rare to fly three cabin aircraft these days, does anyone know if you can go from economy to first using different modes of upgrades?
You cannot go from Y-->F using upgrade instruments. You can only be upgraded one cabin Y-->J or J-->F. In the rare instance, you can be double upgraded due to an oversell (e.g. I purchased a coach ticket to Asia, upgraded using a SWU, and then received an operational upgrade at the gate from J-->F since Y was oversold). This is pretty rare though and you'd have to get very lucky.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
No, not unless you get an OPUP.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

thank you for all of your comments. I appreciate the insights.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:44 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Sadly, you will likely stay in coach. J will likely be in full with at most a token upgrade or two available. AA is happier to give F seats to its employees and let paying customers sit in coach. Sad!
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: CK or bust
thank you for all of your comments. I appreciate the insights.
You can upfare to the lowest cost business ticket from coach and then from there, use an upgrade instrument (SWU, miles + copay) to get to the F cabin.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Sadly, you will likely stay in coach. J will likely be in full with at most a token upgrade or two available. AA is happier to give F seats to its employees and let paying customers sit in coach. Sad!
Paying customers of course have the choice to pay to sit in first class, or pay for business class and use an upgrade instrument or miles to go to first class, both of which I bet would make AA happier than giving that employee that F seat.
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.