Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
A321T / 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

American flies the transcontinental A321T with three classes including solo First and Business pairs that fully recline horizontally. (Note the "32B" designation applies to all Airbus A321-100 and -200 - aircraft with "Sharklets" blended winglets in accord with ICAO standards, including two and three class A321s used by AA.)

It appears demand in J is high, supply less so, making this a tricky upgrade from coach to business. First sometimes looks like there’s good availability until close to departure, and it’s common that this cabin is filled deadheading.

Upgrading is challenging, and Y to J SWU or miles + copay always trumps 500 mile or DODU / courtesy upgrades within an elite tier. (500 mile and courtesy upgrades from Business to First is not allowed).

Remember, upgrade priority for these flights is:
  • Elite status tier
  • SWU & miles and copay
  • Business Extra and “special corporate agency upgrade certificates”
  • 500 mile (“stickers”) and complimentary / DODU upgrades*
  • Award upgrades (CK, EXP, PRO)*
  • Last 12 months’ rolling EQD spend
  • Etc.

*Y to C/J only; C to F not allowed

Cabins will generally not be “rolled” forward (e.g. J to F) to accommodate upgrades.

Those confirmed in Flagship First on these (between JFK and LAX or SFO) can access Flagship Lounges as well as Flagship First Dining at JFK or LAX, or the Admirals Club at SFO (or the LAX TBIT Qantas First lounge).

Related threads:

Aircraft guide: Which Airbus A321? (including “321”, “32B”, A321neo)

A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class began service Jan 2014 (consolidated)

Best Business / First seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on AA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / 32B (consolidated)

Posts from 2014 through 2016 have been archived, and may be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by as219
I just read somewhere that AA no longer gives day-of cash J->F upgrade options. Is that true?
What do you mean by "cash J-> F upgrade"? If you are talking about upfaring, I'm pretty sure you can do that until they stop selling the flight.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
What do you mean by "cash J-> F upgrade"? If you are talking about upfaring, I'm pretty sure you can do that until they stop selling the flight.
What I mean is a "UFG" - Upgrade For Cash - offer at check-in, e.g., $250. UA offers these regularly when premium cabin loads are light.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm not getting notification e-mails in general thee days, but that's for another thread
got my first email today in awhile. And honestly pretty shocked as it was at t-100 for a transcon redeye. Don't think that has ever happened to me before and the J cabin while J7 was more than half booked. There is hope!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, DL Silver, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Avis PC
My 321T upgrade experience (both standard Exec Plat and as the transcon leg of a long-haul international itinerary) has been pretty good. Have never missed Y--J and get complimentary gate upgrades from (paid) J to F at least 50% of the time I buy a J class seat. Just recently upgraded around T+48 on an early evening post-Christmas JFK --> LAX. Exec Plat with <$15k in rolling 12mo EQD. AA.com seatmap had been showing 3 first class and 5 business class seats open a few hours before.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by only1percent
complimentary gate upgrades from (paid) J to F at least 50% of the time I buy a J class seat.
This is not a published benefit to my knowledge. Curious, how are you getting this? Operational upgrades?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:53 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
This is not a published benefit to my knowledge. Curious, how are you getting this? Operational upgrades?
As a lowly plat, I have gotten the double lotto. Y->J cleared and J->F at the gate. Was an op-up as they told me my J seat was inoperable. Though I suppose they can roll some J to F if they need space in the back, it’s probably more the exception than the rule. Sounds like some mighty good luck
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
You can probably also ask since F is usually wide open and if you're EXP they're more inclined to give it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hiima
You can probably also ask since F is usually wide open and if you're EXP they're more inclined to give it.
Unfortunately, that is incorrect - they will only upgrade you from Paid J --> F is the flight is oversold.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
If I have the option to fly LAX-JFK vs SFO-JFK, which route offers better upgrade probability for EXP? LAX is more elite heavy but more flights, SFO relatively fewer elites but also fewer J supplies and more cash loaded tech and finance people?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by epicurus
If I have the option to fly LAX-JFK vs SFO-JFK, which route offers better upgrade probability for EXP? LAX is more elite heavy but more flights, SFO relatively fewer elites but also fewer J supplies and more cash loaded tech and finance people?
I think for both it really comes down to trying to fly at "off peak" times. Can you travel on a Saturday etc.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I think for both it really comes down to trying to fly at "off peak" times. Can you travel on a Saturday etc.
My time is fixed. Wednesday afternoon. But I can choose to go from SFO or LAX. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by epicurus
My time is fixed. Wednesday afternoon. But I can choose to go from SFO or LAX. Any thoughts?
Would probably depend on the day. Unfortunately SFO only has one afternoon flight and loads vary quite a bit. Lax runs 3-4 depending on when in the afternoon you can leave, but those also get pretty full. How far out is your travel date? If in the next week or two I would check actual loads. If further out and optimizing for chance of upgrade is important I would probably wait a bit to book until it's 1-2 weeks out and even a week out these flights frequently can fill in the last week. One possibility is booking out of LAX and doing a SDC to the flight with the most J availibility. Of course that requires Y loads to be light enough they open E.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Personally I have had pretty good luck on LAX-JFK vv routes. Was surprised recently to clear in advance on an SWU on the return LAX-JFK, but it was a Tuesday red-eye (cleared two days in advance, no upgrade notification by email or app but got email indicating ticket re-issue). I was also able to SDC to the one later red-eye and it had C space.

As reported before, on the JFK-LAX portion there was C available at booking.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Just booked a vacation in August and C space was...sparse. Had to adjust to a Tuesday redeye LAX-JFK and the last flight on Monday JFK-LAX. Not ideal timing!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I used a new trick for me. LAX-JFK last week was looking like a tight UPG, so I did SDC to an earlier flight which looked to be J7 and about an hour later my UPG came through on the earlier flight.
dciolli likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.