Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WIKI POST: Using US Dividend Miles for oneworld Award Flights
As further details become available, please fill in this wikipost.

N.B. Booking opportunities for new Dividend Miles awards of all kinds ended 11:59 PM Wednesday, 25 March 2015. Please continue using this thread for trips booked or in progress through 24 March 2016.

Changes on USDM oneworld award tickets

This is the only official statement about changing issued USDM award tickets:

If I need to make changes to a Dividend Miles award reservation, which program’s rules will apply?

Minor changes such as date/time can be made provided seats are available without requiring a new award to be claimed. More substantive changes such as changes to stopovers or origin/destination may result in the need to reinstate the previously claimed Dividend Miles award, then claiming a new AAdvantage award under the existing AAdvantage program rules.
To make a change on a USDM ticket, you need to get an agent that is trained to use the US reservation system.
The old membership rules do 'generally' still appy to USDM tickets.

For awards ticketed / reticketed on 001- ticket stock, go to the AA Refunds site with your ticket number at hand (unsure if it works with 037- stock at this time)to:
  • Print a receipt with ticket number (instead of Request a refund)
  • See total fees, taxes, etc. attached to your ticket
  • See applicable detailed fare rules
  • Request a refund (may not be useful for awards)
(Go here to print in flight purchase receipts)
Some experiences about changes to tickets, reported by members:
  • Some were able to change their ticket without beeing charged the USD 150.- changing fee.
  • No chance to change a ticket after the first flight segment has been flown.

Old stuff

oneworld member airlines - airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines (Sibir), SriLankan Airlines, TAM Airlines, US Airways and their affiliates.

Award Chart for oneworld awards using US Dividend Miles:
http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...wardtravel.pdf

You can use the American Airlines, British Airways, JAL, or Qantas sites to search for oneworld award inventory. AA and QF also allows you to search for award inventory using a handy 30 day calendar view. However, availability on the calendar is dependent on site coverage (e.g. QF does not include JL or MH, AA does not include CX and others). Also, the calendar view may not be completely accurate on all partners, so use it as a guide but do not rely on it fully.

One of the easiest ways to search for oneworld availability is through the use of an outside tool such as Award Nexus, ExpertFlyer, KVS Tool, or The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search.

Award Nexus has a free community membership for flyertalk members, and award email alert with premium membership. ExpertFlyer has email alerts and direct GDS access to select oneworld award inventories, such as AA, QF, and US. ExpertFlyer can also search J class certificate upgrade inventory. With KVS Tool, you can search QF, BA, JL and CX's search engines, in addition to other alliances, on your PC (Mac / Linux with CrossOver). You can also set up an alert via The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search. This tool will automatically search on QF for your alert once per day with a free account and four times per day with a paid account.

N.B. With all of the above tools, it is best to search one segment at a time. Most oneworld search engines have difficulty marrying segments.

For route searching with itinerary information, use the interactive oneworld map and timetable.

For searching Intra-North America availability, the best tool is AA.com. Unlike the other oneworld engines, AA is pretty good at marrying segments, so you can search origin to destination.

Regarding availability, the strategy that has been most effective for people looking to book award travel on oneworld is to start searching right at 330 days prior to departure. This is generally when availability is at its best. After that, availability tends to be sporadic until starting 8 weeks prior to departure where some airlines open up availability, and will vary all the way up until the day of departure.

If you're having trouble finding availability, it may be best to look at alternate airports (JL, for example, serves SAN, YVR, and BOS, in addition to the larger markets of SFO, LAX, YYZ, ORD, and JFK).

(N.B. Although US was not adding fuel surcharges to awards, there are reports that they have started doing this for awards containing BA flights.) With the exception of BA & IB, no oneworld carriers require you to pay a fuel surcharge for awards. With BA, be aware that you may have to pay both a fuel surcharge as well as the UK Air Passenger Duty departure tax for intercontinental J and F flights out of UK. These fees vary with class of service and length of flight and are determined by BA; the Air Passenger Duty (see specific thread) is due for all UK departures not under 24 hour connecting flights. APD applies to coach tickets, too, but at a reduced rate. The fuel /YQ surcharge with IB is generally considered minimal.

Known Problems / Workaround:
  • Dep 00:00AM : Some agents have difficulty finding flights leaving between midnight and 2 AM. This is because the US systems show it leaving the day before. If the agent cannot find it, please ask to look at the day before. > source <
  • LA : Flights put on hold will be cancelled after 24h. Workaround: Issue the ticket immediately. > source <
  • JL : US Rep cannot find available seats. Workaround: "Always have to remind Rep to open JL reservations on a new screen". > source <
  • MH : US Rep cannot find awards in First Class. Workaround: First class needs to be booked in P-cl instead of Z-cl (as on most other OW carriers). > source < booking classes: > KVS <
  • All : If you are booking outbound flights at the US Air 335 day window US Air will often allow you to put your reservation on a longer than 3 day hold to capture the return seats once they open up at T+335. There is a report of this for 30 days here, and FT user beofotch was successful in getting a 13 day hold here. Workaround: Huaca until you get an agent who is competent enough to do this. It may help to act naive and ask for your return flight on your preferred date even if it is after T+335 days. Once they get an error from the computer may be a good time to bring it up.

Fixed Problems:
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 645 HKG-DOH. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier (CMB/DXB/...?)... > source < > fixed <
    > fixed <
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 640 DOH-HKG. They admit, the flight exists, but are unable to book <source>. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier
    > fixed <
  • BA/Comair : US rep could not see / or unable to book intra-South Africa flights in BA flight number operated by Comair despite AA treats Comair a full fledged oneworld member under BA, in the same context as KA under CX. Only one reported success booking - poster reported agent had trouble at first but on consulting a supervisor was told "where to look"; the agent did not give any further information. Most everyone else reported unable to book Comair flights.
    > fixed <
  • IB : Flights will be cancelled after ticket issued. Workaround: None yet... > source <
    > fixed <
Print Wikipost

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by mediator
Right now C1-C2 in J is 110K but in F is just 120K. I'm pretty sure US will change the F level soon. Without notice.
Do you mean C1-C3?
Old May 13, 2014, 10:59 pm

Hi everybody, I am a member of Life Miles, and also One World, I was a member with US Airways Star Alliance and used it quiet a few times
We never had a problem with the Los Star Alliance, now after the Merger we want to Buy Miles and travel to the UK in 2015, we would prefer to go First Class once again, however we are finding it a little difficult with searches, we have the KVS Search tool and have also had a look at the Life Miles Flight search.
So far Availability is very poor, any body got any thoughts on which way to go as we have 100% offer from Life Miles also One a World we have joined the JL BA and Qantas for Life Miles system, but would like advice on which is the best one to purchase from Australia we have always used US Dividend miles bur are registered for Life miles also
Thanks in Advance James
Old May 13, 2014, 11:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I also the accidentally my miles. Also surreptitious. Buehler?
Old May 14, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by H2DAUSTRALIA
Hi everybody, I am a member of Life Miles, and also One World, I was a member with US Airways Star Alliance and used it quiet a few times
We never had a problem with the Los Star Alliance, now after the Merger we want to Buy Miles and travel to the UK in 2015, we would prefer to go First Class once again, however we are finding it a little difficult with searches, we have the KVS Search tool and have also had a look at the Life Miles Flight search.
So far Availability is very poor, any body got any thoughts on which way to go as we have 100% offer from Life Miles also One a World we have joined the JL BA and Qantas for Life Miles system, but would like advice on which is the best one to purchase from Australia we have always used US Dividend miles bur are registered for Life miles also
Thanks in Advance James
Cross posting (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...l#post22859137) is not allowed on FT...
Old May 14, 2014, 4:38 am

Think I managed to book this last night

LHR-DXB (QF F)
DXB-HKG - HKG -HND (CX J&F)
HND-HKG-LHR (CX F)

Originally came up with $750 in taxes, but was revised down to $372 when queried, apparently certain routes have surchages included no matter who the carrier is, but was corrected. Am a bit concerned that the confirmation email does not have any booking classes on it, and that the wrong amount of miles was deducted, 80k instead of 100k, even though when she verbally went through the trip everything was correct.

Cannot see it on CMT or virtually there is this normal?
Old May 14, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by modjo
Think I managed to book this last night

LHR-DXB (QF F)
DXB-HKG - HKG -HND (CX J&F)
HND-HKG-LHR (CX F)

Originally came up with $750 in taxes, but was revised down to $372 when queried, apparently certain routes have surchages included no matter who the carrier is, but was corrected. Am a bit concerned that the confirmation email does not have any booking classes on it, and that the wrong amount of miles was deducted, 80k instead of 100k, even though when she verbally went through the trip everything was correct.

Cannot see it on CMT or virtually there is this normal?
On your US booking receipt:

QF P = first class
CX/JL Z = first class
CX/JL U = business class

You may use your CX PNR to pull out trip on CMT.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lewende
Do you mean C1-C3?
You are right
Old May 14, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Privé
Change Class of Service

A strange thing happened to me today:

Using Dividend Miles I booked BA from LHR to the U.S. in F paying 125k miles. Return was in C. I was really happy to see award space popping up in F on the return on exactly my flight on BA. I called Dividend Miles and they changed it from C to F - no problem and no charge.

I saw F class on BA.com and was able to do a seat assignment. On my US Airways account I was able to see that the booking was changed to F.

One hour later I received an E-Mail saying that I should contact US Airways about my reservation. They then told me, that this was a mistake, and they had to change the class back to C again. Furthermore I should consider myself lucky, that C was still available, otherwise they would have put me in coach or off the plane if no space would have been available!

Although I have paid 125k miles for F they said, that if I want to change from C to F on my way back, they would have to cancel the ticket, redeposit the miles and start a complete new booking. Needless to say, that there is no availability for all the other flights any more.

What should I do, call again and have them change it again? Or will the same thing happen over and over again?

Is there a new department (agent said "this comes from a department I have never ever heard of") that looks into all the OW Partner bookings?
Old May 14, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by JuanTrippe
A strange thing happened to me today:

Using Dividend Miles I booked BA from LHR to the U.S. in F paying 125k miles. Return was in C. I was really happy to see award space popping up in F on the return on exactly my flight on BA. I called Dividend Miles and they changed it from C to F - no problem and no charge.

I saw F class on BA.com and was able to do a seat assignment. On my US Airways account I was able to see that the booking was changed to F.

One hour later I received an E-Mail saying that I should contact US Airways about my reservation. They then told me, that this was a mistake, and they had to change the class back to C again. Furthermore I should consider myself lucky, that C was still available, otherwise they would have put me in coach or off the plane if no space would have been available!

Although I have paid 125k miles for F they said, that if I want to change from C to F on my way back, they would have to cancel the ticket, redeposit the miles and start a complete new booking. Needless to say, that there is no availability for all the other flights any more.

What should I do, call again and have them change it again? Or will the same thing happen over and over again?

Is there a new department (agent said "this comes from a department I have never ever heard of") that looks into all the OW Partner bookings?
If you had originally booked before they started charging fuel surcharges on BA flights, then your change from business to first on return would entail the following:

1. $150 change fee
2. Recalculation of taxes and fuel surcharges

They probably forgot to do it properly, and then at a ticketing stage realised that it would be a mess to try and do it afterwards, so they are inventing some lame reasons why it cannot be done.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by echino
If you had originally booked before they started charging fuel surcharges on BA flights, then your change from business to first on return would entail the following:

1. $150 change fee
2. Recalculation of taxes and fuel surcharges

They probably forgot to do it properly, and then at a ticketing stage realised that it would be a mess to try and do it afterwards, so they are inventing some lame reasons why it cannot be done.
Well what really makes me wonder: they did change it - even free of charge. They did that on UA flights before, they always said: "Hey you paid for First Class, so have fun".

But after the change which is visible online they change it back to C class? I always thought once the agent did something, then it´s good to go.

Oh, I forgot to add. The Ticket was booked in April, no YQ added.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation The fun might be over

That is very interesting. It's like how AA handles award reservations. They aren't considered final and 'ticketed' until they are reviewed and approved by a rate desk. (Though they show pending status online and you don't get the confirmation email until this process is completed and it's considered ticketed.)

So it sounds like US is implementing something similar. If so, it will put a quick stop to all the wild routings some people have been able to book.

But I don't see how this impacted you. I've made changes just like this to very basic award tickets dozens of times -- with no issues.

Hmmmmm. Curiouser and Curiouser.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
That is very interesting. It's like how AA handles award reservations. They aren't considered final and 'ticketed' until they are reviewed and approved by a rate desk. (Though they show pending status online and you don't get the confirmation email until this process is completed and it's considered ticketed.)

So it sounds like US is implementing something similar. If so, it will put a quick stop to all the wild routings some people have been able to book.

But I don't see how this impacted you. I've made changes just like this to very basic award tickets dozens of times -- with no issues.

Hmmmmm. Curiouser and Curiouser.
Well I think so too - they always did these changes. I asked where exactly this new rule was written in the Terms & Conditions / Membership guide. I was put on hold for 20 minutes and the agent then read something like once a partner award ticket is ticketed no change of class can be done anymore, miles need to be redeposited, taxes refunded, everything has to be done again.

I am sure, if I call US Airways once more, that they would change the return to F again. I am just afraid to get another mail saying this will not work.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well I think so too - they always did these changes. I asked where exactly this new rule was written in the Terms & Conditions / Membership guide. I was put on hold for 20 minutes and the agent then read something like once a partner award ticket is ticketed no change of class can be done anymore, miles need to be redeposited, taxes refunded, everything has to be done again.

I am sure, if I call US Airways once more, that they would change the return to F again. I am just afraid to get another mail saying this will not work.
This changed a couple of years ago. A change of cabin once the ticket is issued is considered a change to your ticket, just like a date or routing change; they don't have to redeposit (this is baloney, as long as you paid for F they can reissue in an F cabin), but they will charge $150. The fee will be waived for CP.

Then again, I've had US CS reps say they need to redeposit when I've tried to make changes. Thank them for your time and don't have them do anything, HUACA.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:32 pm

Just booked award travel and wanted to take advantage of the 120K North Asia in F going around the world before it disappears forever.

ORF-JFK-HKG (destination) -BKK-CMB (stopover) - DOH-PHL-ORF. All legs are in J right now except HKG-BKK is in F and I'm hoping more seats open up in first. (I'm CP so there is no fee to change dates, etc. later). The problem is the rate desk wants to charge me 160K claiming CMB is the destination and HKG is the stopover. It's on hold for 72 hours. I need advice beyond HUACA. If it's going to be that much I would rather do First to Australia/NZ for only 140K!
Old May 14, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by travel4b
Just booked award travel and wanted to take advantage of the 120K North Asia in F going around the world before it disappears forever.

ORF-JFK-HKG (destination) -BKK-CMB (stopover) - DOH-PHL-ORF. All legs are in J right now except HKG-BKK is in F and I'm hoping more seats open up in first. (I'm CP so there is no fee to change dates, etc. later). The problem is the rate desk wants to charge me 160K claiming CMB is the destination and HKG is the stopover. It's on hold for 72 hours. I need advice beyond HUACA. If it's going to be that much I would rather do First to Australia/NZ for only 140K!
You need to HUACA. This rule is always there (take the highest mileage requirement of combinations between multiple award zones) but loosely enforced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.