Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for discussing the 767-323ER Thompson Vantage Business Seats is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1542143-boeing-767-300-763-thompson-vantage-business-seat-map-best-seats.html.

"CIP" Cabin Improvement Program Full Lie Flat Thompson Vantage Seat and All-Aisle Access. 16 of 24 with WiFi, Business with tablets for IFE.

See American Airlines Business Class Seat video in first post
[/b]
[/center]
Due to thread and interest growth, please see 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread). BUSINESS SEAT and BUSINESS CABIN posts have moved to that thread.

NOTE: All currently flying 763s are refurbished.

100% of the active fleet have been converted (as of 30OCT17) (* = wifi available):
  • N342AN*, N343AN*, N344AN*, N346AN*, N347AN*, N348AN*, N349AN*, N350AN*, N379AA, N381AN*, N384AA*, N385AM, N388AA, N389AA, N390AA, N391AA, N392AN, N393AN, N394AN, N395AN, N396AN, N397AN*, N398AN, and N399AN*.

The following 34 aircraft have been retired (as of 30OCT17):
  • N345AN, N351AA, N352AA, N353AA, N354AA, N355AA, N357AA, N358AA, N39356, N359AA, N360AA, N361AA, N362AA, N363AA, N39364, N39365, N366AA, N39367, N368AA, N369AA, N370AA, N371AA, N372AA, N373AA, N374AA, N7375A, N376AN, N377AN, N378AN, N382AN, N383AN, N386AA, N387AM, N380AN (with N373AA being the final NGBC aircraft retired to Roswell on 30OCT17)

Program details:
  • ~26 (46%) of AA's fleet of 57 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (refit started in 2016), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system was installed - the premium cabin retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft were refurbished for one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

J-cabin seat map:

Code:
   A  D  G  J
 2 0_ 0_0_ _0 2
 3 _0 _0_0 0_ 3
 4 0_ 0_0_ _0 4
 5 _0 _0_0 0_ 5
 6 0_ 0_0_ _0 6
 7 _0 _0_0 0_ 7
 8 0_ 0_0_ _0 8
 A  D  G  J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

Note: the seats in C behind seats with smaller consoles (inside center) have smaller foot cubbies; those with large feet or shoes will feel cramped. Those over six feet will feel cramped if they lie supine in the fully flattened seat; sleeping slanted or side sleeping with bent legs is possible.

In Business they offer a 110 VAC multi-socket in the e-pad front tray area, and another, as well as USB and audio mini jack at shoulder height over and at the rear of the console. Seat controls are touch controls, and can involuntarily be operated by resting your forearm on the console.

The tray table is released with a button; it pivots out and folds. Table height may impede those who are portly or have long legs. Overhead bins, IFE monitors, lavs etc. have not been upgraded.

JDiver's mini-report here.

Contributors: sensei, SDQBound(former B7e7US), Longboater, Econometrics[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:45 pm

I suppose HEL is near the bottom of this roll out list
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The converted aircraft is undergoing airborne testing literally as I write this, and hopefully this is good news for the inaugural revenue flight on 01APR14 (JFK-ZRH) as stated above.

BTW, it registered an impressive 5,000 ft/min climb rate (empty and with fuel for just a few hours)!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
The converted aircraft is undergoing airborne testing literally as I write this, and hopefully this is good news for the inaugural revenue flight on 01APR14 (JFK-ZRH) as stated above.
Although, this would the first time they introduced new international seats without flying on some domestic routes first for some familiarity flying, etc, IIRC. Seat-map stands on those ZRH flights, for now, but I do tend to wonder, personally.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Not much love for the 763s from AA marketing here. Someone up there at corporate is sleeping at the helm for sure. There you have your customers ranting about the uncompetitive product on everything besides a few select routes ...
Perhaps the lack of fanfare at AA corporate has to do with the fact that this refurbishment is only going to cover half of the 763 fleet; the J product is still below the offering of the new 77W/772 J seat (and probably the new 787 J seat); and we're not going to see many routes flown with these refurbished birds until after summer.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi, all.

This thread is for the discussion of the half of the 767-323ER fleet that will be refurbished with the CIP (Cabin Improvement Program) in process, including routing, Economy, etc.

The CIP 763 BUSINESS CLASS SEATING is discussed in this thread:

The 772 / 77E / 777-223ER (headed to two class seating) is under discussion here: 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved)

The 77W / 777-323ER (newly introduced into service last year and with three class service) is under discussion here:

AA Boeing 777-300ER / 77W orders, 20 orders + deliveries confirmed as of 2013

Best 77W / 777-300ER Business and First Class / F & J seats (consolidated)

AA 777-300ER / 77W Schedule, Routes (consolidated)

Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class and Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)

Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class and Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)

and many more.

Q. So, how does one Search for these threads?

Advanced Search, search titles only, results as threads;

search terms: "772" or "77w" (extremely common words or those terms containing three or fewer characters, the term must be wrapped with quotation marks; search only acknowledges lower case letters, so you can use all lower case - it won;t hinder or help).
Q. So, why should we care?

Well, because information becomes fragmented, and it makes it difficult for members attempting to find information. As the TOS state:

Use the Search Feature - link to this guideline
Before starting a thread, use the search feature to see if there's a recent thread on your topic. Many questions come up repeatedly on FlyerTalk. If you're wondering about a specific Hilton property in Chicago, for example, there's a good chance a thread - or 10 - already exists. The search link is located in the navigation menu near the top of the Forums page. Keeping information on the same topic confined to as few threads as possible helps members quickly find the information they need.
There are 76,193 threads and 1,359,020 posts in this forum. It's an exceptionally slow day today, yet we have 187 (31 members & 156 guests) reading this very forum this moment.

The posts previously dealing with 772s and 77Ws have been moved to the appropriate threads.

Thank you for your understanding.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:13 am Reason: Update
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Although, this would the first time they introduced new international seats without flying on some domestic routes first for some familiarity flying, etc, IIRC. Seat-map stands on those ZRH flights, for now, but I do tend to wonder, personally.
ZRH airport staff told me yesterday that the new config should fly on the 1st as planned.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:55 pm
Suspended

ZRH airport staff told me yesterday that the new config should fly on the 1st as planned.
I can see from the seat maps that that's most definitely the plan, but still remain very confused about it, personally.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Soon. But it will be a slow transition. Expect the newly-configured birds to be deployed on the highest-yielding, most "premium" 763 international routes like second-tier Europe. So perhaps ZRH or CDG.

Not BOG or SCL or HNL. Sorry!
I'm flying to ZRH, picked seats with the new configurations. Hoping for no subs. anyone know if there will be more than one flying/available by April 25th?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
ZRH makes sense given the kind of banking crowd that flies in and out of there.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by ESpen36
GIG is probably 763 service because it sees more leisure/family travel, compared to GRU which is a cargo and business-heavy market. I believe that MIA-GRU and MIA-EZE are two of the most profitable routes in the AA network, if memory serves.

SCL sometimes does see 772 service, and maybe once the 772s are converted to 2-class, those birds will fly to SCL more often.

FRA is now 772 year-round. I actually miss the 763s on this route because I like the enhanced service in J on IFS flights. (I also miss ORD-FRA, but that's another story...) FRA is obviously a key business market (and cargo as well), but the airport is NOT a good connection point for AA because it a fortress hub for *A rather than OW.

MAD is 772 now I suspect because of the JBA. Tons and tons of connecting flights at MAD, including many codeshares. I actually think that AA will upgauge the equipment on JFK-MAD eventually, especially now that JFK-LHR seems to be yielding to more BA metal.
Oh, and almost forgot, what about MXP? Unlike other Italy service (FCO), this one is year-round and from two different US hubs. Makes me think that it's also fairly business-heavy (though probably less so than the others mentioned).
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The plane has left Everett and is on its way to LAX as I write this.

I presume all went OK with the install! ^
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Oh, and almost forgot, what about MXP? Unlike other Italy service (FCO), this one is year-round and from two different US hubs. Makes me think that it's also fairly business-heavy (though probably less so than the others mentioned).
I take both flights regularly and from my observation this is not a business heavy route (with easy Y->J upgrades and empty J seats for the most part, plus most seatmates were clearly leisure travelers). There's been some interesting discussion and facts about the MXP routes in the MIA-MXP thread.
Especially the long MIA flight would definitely profit from a rejuvenated cabin, though (isn't MIA-MXP the longest 763 flight in the system at 10 hours 50 minutes scheduled flight time?) Right now, seatmaps show the NGBC layout through late November for both MXP routes, so I don't think we'll see the new configuration there anytime soon.
In fact, I haven't seen the new seatmap on any other routes than ZRH so far.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
The plane has left Everett and is on its way to LAX as I write this.

I presume all went OK with the install! ^
Saw that too-- thanks to your detective work finding the plane. I'm still flummoxed as to them pressing it into immediate international service-- no FA familiarization flights, etc.-- where they've never done that before to my way of thinking. But, looks like that's the plan.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Saw that too-- thanks to your detective work finding the plane. I'm still flummoxed as to them pressing it into immediate international service-- no FA familiarization flights, etc.-- where they've never done that before to my way of thinking. But, looks like that's the plan.
By they you mean AA, but remeber this is the Parker show now, so is this something the US boys would do?

Cheers
AA777
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I take both flights regularly and from my observation this is not a business heavy route (with easy Y->J upgrades and empty J seats for the most part, plus most seatmates were clearly leisure travelers). There's been some interesting discussion and facts about the MXP routes in the MIA-MXP thread.
Especially the long MIA flight would definitely profit from a rejuvenated cabin, though (isn't MIA-MXP the longest 763 flight in the system at 10 hours 50 minutes scheduled flight time?) Right now, seatmaps show the NGBC layout through late November for both MXP routes, so I don't think we'll see the new configuration there anytime soon.
In fact, I haven't seen the new seatmap on any other routes than ZRH so far.
There is definitely a significant business component to the Malpensa flights. It is the economic heart of Italy, and no two U.S. cities have stronger economic (and cultural) ties to Italy today than New York and Miami.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.