Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for discussing the 767-323ER Thompson Vantage Business Seats is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1542143-boeing-767-300-763-thompson-vantage-business-seat-map-best-seats.html.

"CIP" Cabin Improvement Program Full Lie Flat Thompson Vantage Seat and All-Aisle Access. 16 of 24 with WiFi, Business with tablets for IFE.

See American Airlines Business Class Seat video in first post
[/b]
[/center]
Due to thread and interest growth, please see 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread). BUSINESS SEAT and BUSINESS CABIN posts have moved to that thread.

NOTE: All currently flying 763s are refurbished.

100% of the active fleet have been converted (as of 30OCT17) (* = wifi available):
  • N342AN*, N343AN*, N344AN*, N346AN*, N347AN*, N348AN*, N349AN*, N350AN*, N379AA, N381AN*, N384AA*, N385AM, N388AA, N389AA, N390AA, N391AA, N392AN, N393AN, N394AN, N395AN, N396AN, N397AN*, N398AN, and N399AN*.

The following 34 aircraft have been retired (as of 30OCT17):
  • N345AN, N351AA, N352AA, N353AA, N354AA, N355AA, N357AA, N358AA, N39356, N359AA, N360AA, N361AA, N362AA, N363AA, N39364, N39365, N366AA, N39367, N368AA, N369AA, N370AA, N371AA, N372AA, N373AA, N374AA, N7375A, N376AN, N377AN, N378AN, N382AN, N383AN, N386AA, N387AM, N380AN (with N373AA being the final NGBC aircraft retired to Roswell on 30OCT17)

Program details:
  • ~26 (46%) of AA's fleet of 57 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (refit started in 2016), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system was installed - the premium cabin retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft were refurbished for one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

J-cabin seat map:

Code:
   A  D  G  J
 2 0_ 0_0_ _0 2
 3 _0 _0_0 0_ 3
 4 0_ 0_0_ _0 4
 5 _0 _0_0 0_ 5
 6 0_ 0_0_ _0 6
 7 _0 _0_0 0_ 7
 8 0_ 0_0_ _0 8
 A  D  G  J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

Note: the seats in C behind seats with smaller consoles (inside center) have smaller foot cubbies; those with large feet or shoes will feel cramped. Those over six feet will feel cramped if they lie supine in the fully flattened seat; sleeping slanted or side sleeping with bent legs is possible.

In Business they offer a 110 VAC multi-socket in the e-pad front tray area, and another, as well as USB and audio mini jack at shoulder height over and at the rear of the console. Seat controls are touch controls, and can involuntarily be operated by resting your forearm on the console.

The tray table is released with a button; it pivots out and folds. Table height may impede those who are portly or have long legs. Overhead bins, IFE monitors, lavs etc. have not been upgraded.

JDiver's mini-report here.

Contributors: sensei, SDQBound(former B7e7US), Longboater, Econometrics[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:23 pm

Deleted

Last edited by HawaiiCalls; Sep 28, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by econometrics
Not considered deep SA, no. On my LIM-MIA flight, we did not get Bose headsets or a tablet.
From a service perspective, AA does treat LIM as deep SA. Amenity kits, 4 entree choices, and BOSE headsets and tablets are offered. On your flight, there was probably a mixed up and hence why you didn't get the BOSE headsets and tablets.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, SWA
Please ignore inappropriate for this particular forum. I had to look up what a CIP stands for, and I fly a fair amount for business and pleasure. Anyway, my question is simple. I'm planning on flying AA next June 2017 from DFW to HNL, then HNL to OGG, and finally OGG to DFW. Through reading here and other places, as well as my well traveled father in law to Hawaii many times, I keep hearing that AA 123 from DFW to HNL is an old and dirty aircraft that is horribly cramped in coach and not much better in First. I see these 767's are finally being retired or updated, but does anyone know if these flights (other than HNL-OGG) will be using newer or upgraded aircraft? DFW-HNL is a long flight, not sure I want to put up with sitting in a fetal position for 8 hours. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MontyM
Please ignore inappropriate for this particular forum. I had to look up what a CIP stands for, and I fly a fair amount for business and pleasure. Anyway, my question is simple. I'm planning on flying AA next June 2017 from DFW to HNL, then HNL to OGG, and finally OGG to DFW. Through reading here and other places, as well as my well traveled father in law to Hawaii many times, I keep hearing that AA 123 from DFW to HNL is an old and dirty aircraft that is horribly cramped in coach and not much better in First. I see these 767's are finally being retired or updated, but does anyone know if these flights (other than HNL-OGG) will be using newer or upgraded aircraft? DFW-HNL is a long flight, not sure I want to put up with sitting in a fetal position for 8 hours. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Coach is the same on both types (The CIP has one fewer row of MCE, but both have old seats, overhead TV only, DC style outlets at some seats). The 9 newest 763s (All CIP) have larger pivot bins throughout, while the others only have the pivot bins in F and MCE, and the old style ones in Y.

You *might* get a CIP plane, which will have the flat-bed seats in F and USB/120V outlets. At this point, there are fewer than 10 of the old config left in the fleet, with approx 20 of the CIP birds, but those are prioritized for flights to Europe.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:53 pm

I'm not sure I'll spring for FC, but MCE is a must for a flight of that length. Its' 9 months away, so I suppose anything is possible but it sounds like AA is definitely retiring some older aircraft at a fairly decent pace. Of course they are starting with the gas guzzling MD80's but maybe I'll get lucky. I'm not sure if people that complain about the poor condition and cramped seating are the type that complain about everything, but even if a small portion of these people saying these things are right it sounds like difficult flight to endure. I'm not a prima donna but I really don't want to sit in a seat with no padding left in the seat for 8 hours.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MontyM
By next June, the six remaining non-CIP 767s will be gone. Five of the remaining eleven will leave the fleet before the end of the year. You'll be fine.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:23 pm

Awesome, that is very reassuring to hear. I'm actually flying to DFW from Tulsa, and I'm sure it will be on a old tired MD80 but its only 35 minutes so who cares. I had looked at trying Hawaiian Airlines from PHX or LAX but AA's flight times to and from are so much better.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Longboater
By next June, the six remaining non-CIP 767s will be gone. Five of the remaining eleven will leave the fleet before the end of the year. You'll be fine.
On a related note,

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans.

...Mapston confirmed that there is no timetable as yet to retire the Boeing 767-300ER aircraft with their IFE-less Thompson Vantage seats."

09 Oct 2016, by John Walton on Runway Girl Network. (Link)
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
On a related note,

"Jay Mapston, American’s manager of onboard products, cabin design, spoke to Runway Girl Network with praiseworthy candor about the airline’s current situation and plans.

...Mapston confirmed that there is no timetable as yet to retire the Boeing 767-300ER aircraft with their IFE-less Thompson Vantage seats."

09 Oct 2016, by John Walton on Runway Girl Network. (Link)
They've begun to install satellite wifi on the CIP 767s. Unsure if all 25 CIP 767s will receive wifi or just the 17 that will stay beyond 2018.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:20 pm

Update: N345AN, the 767 that caught on fire at ORD, has been written off per planespotters.net. Another 767, N354AA, has been ferried to TUL in preparation to be retired. Down to nine non-CIP 767s. With N345AN's write off, its possible a spare non-CIP 767 will stick around longer than expected or since its just aircraft and AA has decent slack with the 767 fleet right now, no change may take place.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
With the write of the one CIP 767, will they include the interior with the write off? Or are there plans to convert a non CIP 767 to CIP with the interior of the written off aircraft.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by rfett2
With the write of the one CIP 767, will they include the interior with the write off? Or are there plans to convert a non CIP 767 to CIP with the interior of the written off aircraft.
The interior is included with the write off as this aircraft was intended to stay past 2018. Only the 1998/1999 and 2002/2003 batch of 767s will be the in fleet long term.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by fly747first
From a service perspective, AA does treat LIM as deep SA. Amenity kits, 4 entree choices, and BOSE headsets and tablets are offered. On your flight, there was probably a mixed up and hence why you didn't get the BOSE headsets and tablets.
I seem to recall that LIM was recently reclassified as a premium flight, which would explain the discrepancy between experiences.

Originally Posted by Longboater
They've begun to install satellite wifi on the CIP 767s. Unsure if all 25 CIP 767s will receive wifi or just the 17 that will stay beyond 2018.
That's welcome news! Hopefully the 757s will follow. Maybe we can get power ports throughout the cabin on the 767, too.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Finally flew 767 CIP tonite!

Route was - LHR-ORD. To be honest, it failed to make a very good impression. Seat is little narrow, lacks IFE and F&B/service wasn't spectacular either.

For international travel, I'd still look for 77W business seats.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Flew on a CIP 767 on the late evening ORD-LHR last week. Overall the seat itself was good, not the best, but good enough for sleeping. The flight is way too short to really get a proper night's rest.

The only thing I despised about the seat was the tablet IFE as the frames in the movie didn't run smooth and none of them had CC unlike the built in IFEs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.