Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Missing miles: how long to post, what to do etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"I'm missing miles from _____." "How long does it take for my miles from ____ to post?" Etc.
Note: AA IT often carries out batch processes on the weekends. This could mean:
  • You might find your account miles, etc. with zero totals for a few hours over the weekend.

• Partner miles earned near the weekend might not post until the following weekend
Some partner miles might take longer than it would for AA flights. It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

If you flew on a partner airline, be sure of your earning rates; see here to verify if you were eligible to earn miles, and to see if they were Elite Qualifying or merely Redeemable miles. Also see: this link to the missing miles claim form.

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your AAdvantage(R) mileage credit request for your itinerary has been received as follows:

Passenger(s) :

Ticket Number : 001-1234567890

Code:
Airline	Flight Date	Flight	Origin	Destination	Cabin
 American Airlines	2015-08-08	1234	AAA	BB 	First
We will verify your flight information and post the eligible miles to your account. If you check your account balance via AA.com®, please allow up to 10 days for AA flights and 30 days for partner airline flights to appear in your account.

If you have any immediate concerns regarding your account, please contact AAdvantage Customer Service.

You can now access your travel information wherever you are with the new mobile version of AA.com.

AA.com
American Airlines

See the AAdvantage FAQs:

3. Earning Miles

Q: How do I receive mileage credit?
A: Remember to include your AAdvantage number when you book or shop with AAdvantage partners. You should keep your receipts and boarding passes until you see the credit on aa.com/myaccount. If credit does not appear, you can request missing flight miles. For non-airline missing miles, visit our missing mileage credit page for a list of partner contacts.

Q: Can I earn miles for someone else's activity or earn credit in more than one loyalty program?
A: Only the person who flies, stays or rents earns miles. For example, even if you paid for your son's ticket, your son would earn the miles. And you can only earn credit in one loyalty program at a time.
FAQ

Q. What do I do if a flight hasn’t posted?

If it has been longer than two days, you can fill out the missing miles form online here. (Requires your AA FFN and ticket number.) Partner airlines may require a longer wait time.

But, some airlines have known issues with certain eligible fares posting. See

AY / Finnair “ineligible” flights for AAdvantage mileage accrual glitch

and

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Q. What can I do for non-flight partner miles that haven’t posted?

See this AA guide with links here.

Alternatively, contact AAdvantage Customer Service

Within the U.S. and Canada:800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number, Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. (CT)

Outside the U.S. and Canada see here.
Print Wikipost

Missing miles: how long to post, what to do etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
I came here for the same question. Had SDF-PHI on Saturday then DCA-SDF last night. Flight was $546 plus a $47 first class upgrade yesterday. Got an exciting 850 LP today. It looks like it was 5X for the $47 upgrade for the second leg only nothing else. When I put the ticket number in it said not eligible like it did for you. I also noticed it said mileage based and not cost based.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:40 am

My BA LHR-ORD flight in November still hasn't been credited, even after sending pics of the receipt and boarding pass a bit more than 2 weeks ago.

Time to escalate, or give them bit more time yet?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:22 am

I called AA EXP line and disappointingly they have the system set up to deflect, deflect, deflect.

Did finally reach a human, and they reiterated the 30 days with partner airlines, but she did look further and saw that the request from AA to BA was sent on the 5th (interestingly, even before I sent documentation).

So it's in a queue with BA, apparently.

In the past with similar situations with Qatar, the AAgent would just sigh and say something like "this makes no sense" and immediately credit the miles while apologizing for the delay. I'm not sure what they could see specifically but apparently they could see no reason for the miles not to be credited, and they had the ability to do so right then and there. But not this time.

So, wait until the 5th then (truly) escalate then if no credit, I suppose.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:45 am

Arrrgh.

So called today and was told that for whatever reason BA "rejected" the claim from AA and AA only got around to sending my documentation to BA on the 27th of December, and I'll need to wait until the 27th of January to escalate.

She did say there's really no reason for the miles to not post eventually but that AA and BA will have to come to some consensus here, including checking flight manifests if so needed. Lucky I actually also took some pics on the plane if it comes to that, which it shouldn't.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Had a flight last week post as distance instead of fare. Our flight at 1pm was canceled back in October so we got put on a later flight but I rebooked easily in the app. Well, that’s apparently the reason why it messed up.

I called AA and the agent tried to fix it but it went from 2,000 miles in fare I to 800 miles in N. She was really perplexed why it did that. Off to be escalated because she thinks it’s a slam dunk for the fare basis but is unsure why the system is treating me like I bought from a gent (I bought from AA’s website). She was not happy it knocked 1,000 off my already low amount that posted either. The missing miles would’ve put me over the hump to platinum again too.

They said it could take a month…!

Originally Posted by littlea905
Answered my own question. LP posted based on mileage instead of fare. Spoke to AA and they will reprocess correctly based on the fare.
​​​​​​​How long did it take?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:53 am

I'm finally over the EXP hump, but because JAL miles have been quickly credited - still waiting on the big chunk of BA miles to show up.

I suspect I'll have to call again on the 27th and be insistent about getting credited. This isn't a problem of my creation, they simply need to talk to each other and do what their rules say they'll do.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by airb330
Had a flight last week post as distance instead of fare. Our flight at 1pm was canceled back in October so we got put on a later flight but I rebooked easily in the app. Well, that’s apparently the reason why it messed up.

I called AA and the agent tried to fix it but it went from 2,000 miles in fare I to 800 miles in N. She was really perplexed why it did that. Off to be escalated because she thinks it’s a slam dunk for the fare basis but is unsure why the system is treating me like I bought from a gent (I bought from AA’s website). She was not happy it knocked 1,000 off my already low amount that posted either. The missing miles would’ve put me over the hump to platinum again too.

They said it could take a month…!

​​​​​​​How long did it take?
Just an update it took 10 business days for AA to go back and redo under the fare basis.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:14 pm

Didn't have a good feeling, and it turns out I was right, apparently *something* was wrong somewhere (what that is is unclear to me, even after asking the question directly), and BA had come back with "ineligible" a few days after AA had sent the documentation over.

So, the Advantage agent re-submitted the documentation and told me to wait another 30 days. Nope, I'll be calling every day now and being a pest about it.

No trouble ticket number offered or given, so I have no recourse but to keep calling and being more and more of a pain and simply not hanging up until I get in touch with someone who can give me clear answers.

Unless someone here has some secret escalation chant or something...

Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:34 am

BA came back to AA with "Unable to validate"

Mind you, this is after I bought the ticket from them, included the receipt and the boarding pass as documentation to AA.

AA CS isn't open today, but what might be my next move here?

Monday update: AAdvantage CS has escalated internally, so someone at a higher level will be discussing this with BA. Agent said they looked at the docs and saw they were all in order, they didn't have any idea as to why BA would be unable to validate. Another 15-30 days, but I won't be waiting that long to follow up.

Thursday evening update: miles finally posted. I have the feeling that the AUP (Airport Upgrade Program - PE to business bought at airport) was the sticking issue. These have posted as I fares in the past, this time only in W (PE) so I'll be following up again to see why there's a discrepancy.

Last edited by smithrh; Feb 2, 2023 at 7:44 pm Reason: Update #2
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Anyone else having issues with BA crediting in a timely manner? I'm still missing a BA segment from over a month ago after submitting documentation, and 3/4 of my segments from 10 days ago (mind you the two longhaul were on AA metal) have not posted, while my 2nd segment did. Needed to provide additional documentation on that itinerary. I know BA IT is somehow worse than AA's, but with all the tie ups and JV, how their systems are so out of sync is beyond me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.