Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashap
Trying to book my first Etihad award, SYD - AUH - IAD/JFK in early January. Right now I'm seeing a lot of blocked seats on expert flyer with no F guest seat availability.

How is Etihad with opening award space closer in to the departure date?

Also, if I'm looking at it correctly, an award from SYD - IAD should price out as 1 award ticket, but if I stop in AUH for the night it's 2 award tickets, can someone confirm?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler
I believe it's two awards regardless of a stopover in AUH. Going by the AA "oneworld and Other Airline" award table, South Pacific - North America awards have to be transpacific only. Routing transatlantic through AUH wouldn't qualify for a single award.
Correct-- definitely 2 awards for SYD-AUH-N.America
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by vrbaba
EY's availability does not match what AA agents are seeing. For e.g. several dates show JFK-AUH for 2 in F, but AA either does not see any or only seeing 1. The fact they are seeing some and able to book it seems odd as it used to match - what EY shows online and what AA sees.

Seems the online tool is not 100% accurate to search anymore for EY flights.
A helpful agent mentioned that sometime she can only see and pull inventory 1 at a time, so she created two locators and was successfully able to pull both the seats "one at a time". Might help to split records if others are having the same issue.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Feel free to ignore because I know everyone here already helps a lot, but a wiki entry or two would be really helpful to those of us that are new to EY bookings. So far I can only really book these flights when I see them on BA and that is typically only very close to the flight date, so it is not the easiest program to understand. It seems most of the conversations here are about how awards are not showing up or not bookable, or problems with their booking system. What is the best way to book a flight from, say, ORD to BKK on EY several months out?

edit: I see that much of the info is in the oneworld chart already in the wiki.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
I had a scan of the thread, so if his question has previously been raised, apologies for not finding it.

I already have a multi-sector, all EY flights, booking, booked using AA miles. I have no AA status.

Due to a possible change of plans, I'm looking at not needing the last sector, and flying elsewhere using non-AA options.

Will AA allow me to phone up and change the booking to drop off the last sector, or would such a change require the entire redemption to be cancelled, clearly jeopardising the chance of being able to re-book my itinerary based on current availability.

I understand that if I was able to change the booking, having no status, there would be a $ charge to re-instate the miles.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by tangey
I had a scan of the thread, so if his question has previously been raised, apologies for not finding it.

I already have a multi-sector, all EY flights, booking, booked using AA miles. I have no AA status.

Due to a possible change of plans, I'm looking at not needing the last sector, and flying elsewhere using non-AA options.

Will AA allow me to phone up and change the booking to drop off the last sector, or would such a change require the entire redemption to be cancelled, clearly jeopardising the chance of being able to re-book my itinerary based on current availability.

I understand that if I was able to change the booking, having no status, there would be a $ charge to re-instate the miles.
I have no status with AA, and just called to drop a AUH-MCT segment from a JFK-AUH-MCT EY booking. No charge.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by lewis_saint
I have no status with AA, and just called to drop a AUH-MCT segment from a JFK-AUH-MCT EY booking. No charge.
Thanks for the response. Did you get the miles back for the dropped section, or are you expecting to ?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:02 am

Thanks for the response. Did you get the miles back for the dropped section, or are you expecting to ?
The AUH-MCT was still part of the middle east, so I wasn't expecting any miles back. Requests usually ticketed within 24-36 hours.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by lewis_saint
The AUH-MCT was still part of the middle east, so I wasn't expecting any miles back. Requests usually ticketed within 24-36 hours.

I see.

I'm looking to drop AUH-LHR in biz x2 people, which cost 60K. I suspect, that having no status, I would need to pay $150 to get those 60K miles re-instated.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:06 am
Suspended

I see.

I'm looking to drop AUH-LHR in biz x2 people, which cost 60K. I suspect, that having no status, I would need to pay $150 to get those 60K miles re-instated.
There's no question about that, you will.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Thanks. Good to know at least I can drop 1 segment off a ticketed award without having to lose and rebook the other segments.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:09 am

AUH-LHR A340 vs 77W

I am tentatively planning to fly from AUH to LHR this summer in F. It was originally on the A340, but was recently changed to the 77W. Better, worse, or a wash?

Extra credit Q: I actually have the option of flying Emirates SFO-DXB in F, then the Etihad flight to LHR in F, or LH SFO-MUC in F, then BA to LHR. Which would you take if given the option? Award miles for all segments on both.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Isn't it $175 (reinstatement of two awards)? Or $300 if it is not a complete cancellation but changes to two award tickets?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:48 pm

Can anyone tell me the fare code for First class Guest seat / AA miles?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashap
Can anyone tell me the fare code for First class Guest seat / AA miles?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.
O/I/N for first/biz/economy.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Isn't it $175 (reinstatement of two awards)? Or $300 if it is not a complete cancellation but changes to two award tickets?
It was the $175 ($150+$25). Leg was dropped off, the original points and cash for the entire itinerary were refunded, the new cash and points for the reduced itinerary were taken, plus $175.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.