Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
[Discussion]

This thread discusses changes to the combined carrier's meal policy. On Friday, 14 Nov 2014, the following e-mail was sent to AAdvantage frequent flyers:

this after an apparent record of the percentage of complaints received in response to earlier announcements (80% of complaints were about the meal cutbacks),

On Monday, August 4th, 2014, American and US Airways both announced their plans for the final aligned meal service effective September 1st, 2014 for both carriers. This Wiki will touch upon in detail the new meal windows, parameters, and what to expect moving forward.

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-999 miles (2 – 2:45 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

1,000 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)*
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to A321 transcons, listed below.)

*There is no meal service on flights that depart after 8:00pm, only beverages and a snack basket. There is also no meal service on flights that depart before 5:00am.

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on A321 transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO), although some members has clarified that LAX-MIA will continue to receive the same level of service. This still remains to be seen.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC, MEX (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL*, MCO, TPA*
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP, CAP, DCA (Effective 16-Oct-2014), IAD (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS (Effective 16-Oct-2014)
*Flights between JFK and TPA/FLL do not currently operate.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

It was reported from an internal source (but not formally announced) that American Eagle would be discontinuing plated meals and, instead, will offer snack boxes and/or chilled meal boxes on meal flights.

Based on the picture on the websites representing meal service, it is confirmed that American will use US Airways plates, bowls, and other servingware moving forward. Additionally, it has been speculated that tray linens will also be eliminated in lieu of the current US Airways paper tray liner. An AA Twitter representative, however, confirmed that buttonhole napkins would be here to stay.

Additionally on October 1st, American Eagle and US Airways Express flights will follow these same meal time frames with some variations to the service. Flights between approximately 176 and 999 miles will receive snack baskets, and meal flights will feature a chilled gourmet boxed meal. Some popular regional flights between approximately 700 and 999 miles will also receive a chilled gourmet boxed meal.

All information above has been gathered and/or copied from the AA website.

Links:
AA Meal Service
US Meal Service

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

This section is purely vestigial, primarily concentrating on historical announcements prior to August 4th, showing a path from separate carrier policies to a combined policy.

On February 15, 2014, there was an internal announcement shared here, outlining changes to US Airways' meal policy, as well as a few minor changes on the AA side. The changes would occur in two phases: April and September.

April:
US Airways
The meal windows on US Airways has transitioned from the previous 3 1/2 hours and above window as of April 1st; now, they are serving meals on flights that are 2 hours and 45 minutes, and above (specified as 1,000 nautical miles in the announcement). Light snacks on flights under 2:45 hours has been added, featuring breakfast pastries and fresh fruit for morning flights, as well as finger sandwiches on later flights (known as Lite Bites). New meal window tiers has been added to standardize US Airways meal service:

• Less than an hour: Nut mix
  • 1 - 2 hours: Snack basket
  • 2 - 2:45 hours: Snack basket plus pastries/finger sandwiches (Lite Bites)
  • 2:45 hours - 3 1/2 hours: Meal service, no appetizer
  • 3 1/2 hours - 4 1/2 hours: Full meal, including an appetizer
  • 4 1/2 hours and above: Full meal service, accompanied by the snack basket

American
An expedited service for shorter, eastbound transatlantic flights (JFK-LHR/MAN/DUB) became the only choice in premium cabins. It was also announced that all eastbound transatlantic flights would receive a more streamlined service, but no visible differences has yet to be reported by FT members.

Over the course of this year (but all mentioned changes will discontinue on September 1st, with the exception of A321 transcons receiving three choices, as well as snack & brunch service for redeyes) a few notable improvements were made to transcontinental meal service, such as sorbets being offered as a breakfast/brunch dessert, supper service (an abbreviated dinner service without an appetizer and sundaes) that replaced snack service on redeyes, and three menu choices of entrees being offered instead of the previous two menu choices.

There were also a few cutbacks in the spring: on Flagship Transcontinental service (JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX), wherein marinated anti-pasto was discontinued in 3-class First Class lunch/dinner service; and in International First Class, where the wine-tasting course, grey placemats, and grey water glasses were eliminated in May.

Historical Weekly Updates (shared from an internal source):
6/14

• Emphasis on being a leader, not a follower, according to Doug Parker.
  • Catering and cabin equipment review in progress.
  • FA involvement team to be created.
  • US/IB codeshare has started these past few days.
  • Three cycles of the revision for the joint certificate have been approved by the FAA. FAs now have inflight manual revisions.
  • MIA and JFK catering issues are still being addressed.
  • Visual presentation of the beef in the sandwich on the second meal service from Europe to the United States is being reviewed by F&B and catering in Europe.

6/21
  • Leadership conference focused on restoring AA to greatness.

Reply to negative feedback via website form: (3.5 hr flight RNO-ORD)

Thank you for contacting American. We know that meal options are important to our customers, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your comments about the changes we have made to our First Class meal program.

There are no plans to discontinue the signature services that have set American Airlines apart over the years. In fact, we are investing millions in our product. This includes the existing premium transcontinental service on select markets, and the offering of certain elements that customers have come to appreciate over time such as warm mixed nuts on all meal flights, cookies and premium desserts on longer flights.

Our new Domestic First Class service footprint provides opportunities to not only streamline service but also to enhance the quality of current food components: new salads and entrees. Product offerings are be aligned with the length of flight. For example, appetizers have been added on certain flights, and a new snack basket concept has been introduced on shorter flights. New meal tray elements to modernize presentation have been introduced, including new china and a stemless wine glass.

A component of these changes is to make consistent between American and US Airways the length of flight where a full meal service is offered. Effective September 1, traditional meal service is offered in First Class on flights operated by American that are 2:45 or longer. While this has removed the traditional meal service from some markets served by American, the changes implemented at US Airways earlier this year added meals to many US Airways markets that traditionally have not offered a full meal service.

On flights from 2 hours to 2:45 in length we offer our customers a "Lite Bites" basket with a variety of food options including tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, breakfast breads and sweet and savory snacks. We will, of course, continue to offer complimentary beverages and snacks for our First Class customers on all of our flights, including beer, spirits and our award-winning wine selection.
Print Wikipost

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic [Discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by golfingboy
That will just be perfect for me if it sticks. I just need something small but heavy to munch on, so I can sleep well with something in my belly. A small wrap or sandwich is more than enough.

At ANC, I am notorious for showing up at the airport 45 minutes before departure, so having something decent enough served on the plane will go a long way.
Yeah, here's to hoping it'll stick! I'm sure it will though, the AA booking engines has already been changed past Sept 1st to reflect the new meal service timing. (I checked DFW-PIT too, still gets meals!) As for what will be served, I can't say, but if it's coded as Snack/Brunch, it should be a step up from the PM Lite Bites basket, as those flights are coded as Refreshments.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by LSUTigerWes
Please raise he'll with them and let them know the meal service was part of the reason you purchased an F ticket. I would go so far as to say it is false advertising to have sold you a flight marketed with a meal without the intention of delivering what they promised.
Actually, it was a reason I booked & paid for F. That, along with the other "premium" parts of the transcon service I expected. We (wife and myself) are headed to the Caribbean to the same destination we went on our honeymoon, and I wanted it to be memorable and special. Prepackaged gas station sandwiches are NOT special, and hopefully will not be memorable as I can only imagine them being memorable in a bad way. And no, airline food isn't anything special either, but it was sure a heck of a lot nicer on AA than any other domestic airline.

What I don't get, is since they created meal pre-ordering capability, why not leave the selection up for those that purchase F on any flight with the old meal window? That way, if you don't want anything, you can select that and AA won't waste the food or money. If you do, you can still get the service you want, and arguably have paid for, with a paid F ticket. The capability is there to give customers exactly what they want, which is what they should be doing for their customers who are willing to pay the premium to sit up front.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Yeah, here's to hoping it'll stick! I'm sure it will though, the AA booking engines has already been changed past Sept 1st to reflect the new meal service timing. (I checked DFW-PIT too, still gets meals!) As for what will be served, I can't say, but if it's coded as Snack/Brunch, it should be a step up from the PM Lite Bites basket, as those flights are coded as Refreshments.
DFW-PIT is 1,067 miles which is why it shows as a meal flight after the change @:-)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
The bottom line for me is if I'm hungry, I'm hungry, whether the flight is 900 miles or 1100 miles. Whether it goes ORD-DCA or MIA-DCA. I no more enjoy pre-wrapped cold sandwiches or sugary/salty snacks in lieu of an actual meal in either situation. When a flight ties me up over a meal window, and the only thing offered is junk, I am not going to be thrilled.

The nice thing about getting into F is not having to worry about food. That is changing, so add yet another thing to think about. Because I don't have enough to think about yet.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I thought DFW-ORD was going to be an exception to the new 900 mile rule. It looks like all the flights are coded as "Refreshments".
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Stripe
I thought DFW-ORD was going to be an exception to the new 900 mile rule. It looks like all the flights are coded as "Refreshments".
Yeah, all the exception flights right now are showing as Refreshments...it's the same with ORD-DCA/BOS/etc. We're hoping this is a mistake/forgotten on AA's part, not a curtailing of exceptions. I have a feeling the exceptions are still true, it's more likely someone just forgot to load the schedules with the exception flights properly coded. We're waiting until someone with internal sources confirm with AA on this part.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by makfan
The bottom line for me is if I'm hungry, I'm hungry, whether the flight is 900 miles or 1100 miles. Whether it goes ORD-DCA or MIA-DCA. I no more enjoy pre-wrapped cold sandwiches or sugary/salty snacks in lieu of an actual meal in either situation. When a flight ties me up over a meal window, and the only thing offered is junk, I am not going to be thrilled.

The nice thing about getting into F is not having to worry about food. That is changing, so add yet another thing to think about. Because I don't have enough to think about yet.
Very well put, and I agree with you 100%. I think what is happening to AA for these flights such as DCA-MIA is a shame. I can't tell you how many times I am pressed for time at MIA and don't have time to wait in line to grab dinner, but because I'm in first class I at least will have dinner on the plane.

I asked a question a couple of days ago, whether or not American Airlines cares what their passengers think about these changes. Clearly this blog has shown that a great majority of people are not happy. They never answered. I know folks from AA are reading this blog. The time has come for them to explain themselves. I would like to know why they can't keep the dinner service on some of these flights.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

Exactly. Flying has become an ever more stressful experience. Many of us choose to fly in F or accumulate miles/points on an airline in order to increase our chances of being able to fly in F (and then, if the upgrade lottery is not looking good on a particular flight, some will buy up). All in the hope of making the experience just slightly more pleasant, just a little less stressful. When we fly during a meal window (and most people do, simply because we have to leave home or work in a hurry, skipping a meal in order to get to the airport on time to clear the dreaded traffic/check-in/TSA window), we appreciate the small comfort of knowing that a decent meal awaits us on board. Not a Michelin-star rated meal. Not even something my mother would have made at the height of her Julia Child cookbook era. Just something that is hot and tasty and better than what is found at 7-11 and, at its best, evocative of the airline in a positive sense (the scent of warm cookies wafting through the cabin, the meal I pre-ordered presented to me by a FA who knows my name).

Good gosh, I don't fly nearly as often as your road warriors, but even I know that!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. Long-time critics of Tempe management claimed that they knew the "price of everything and the value of nothing." IMO, this is yet another example. Stumbling out into the street to pick up loose change while ignoring the dollars lying on the sidewalk. I'd be willing to pay extra, but so far, no announcement that paying extra will even be an option.

Federal law requires a certain number of flight attendants on all flights, regardless of duration. Feeding the customers simply gets some work out of the FAs who would otherwise sit and play Sudoku or read US magazine.

Old USAir (in the old days) could serve a hot breakfast between DAY and DCA (slightly under 400 miles) in First Class and there is no reason that new AA can't do the same. Yes, airplane food isn't five-star cuisine, but most passengers I encounter wouldn't know the difference - looks to me as if too many of them eat too frequently at Hardees or Taco Bell.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Agreed. Long-time critics of Tempe management claimed that they knew the "price of everything and the value of nothing." IMO, this is yet another example. Stumbling out into the street to pick up loose change while ignoring the dollars lying on the sidewalk. I'd be willing to pay extra, but so far, no announcement that paying extra will even be an option.

Federal law requires a certain number of flight attendants on all flights, regardless of duration. Feeding the customers simply gets some work out of the FAs who would otherwise sit and play Sudoku or read US magazine.

Old USAir (in the old days) could serve a hot breakfast between DAY and DCA (slightly under 400 miles) in First Class and there is no reason that new AA can't do the same. Yes, airplane food isn't five-star cuisine, but most passengers I encounter wouldn't know the difference - looks to me as if too many of them eat too frequently at Hardees or Taco Bell.
US used to serve one between PIT and PHL in COACH. As does BA on morning Anglo-Scottish flights (300 miles at best).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by ysolde
Exactly. Flying has become an ever more stressful experience. Many of us choose to fly in F or accumulate miles/points on an airline in order to increase our chances of being able to fly in F (and then, if the upgrade lottery is not looking good on a particular flight, some will buy up). All in the hope of making the experience just slightly more pleasant, just a little less stressful. When we fly during a meal window (and most people do, simply because we have to leave home or work in a hurry, skipping a meal in order to get to the airport on time to clear the dreaded traffic/check-in/TSA window), we appreciate the small comfort of knowing that a decent meal awaits us on board. Not a Michelin-star rated meal. Not even something my mother would have made at the height of her Julia Child cookbook era. Just something that is hot and tasty and better than what is found at 7-11 and, at its best, evocative of the airline in a positive sense (the scent of warm cookies wafting through the cabin, the meal I pre-ordered presented to me by a FA who knows my name).

Good gosh, I don't fly nearly as often as your road warriors, but even I know that!
I saw your post explaining your circumstances, which are compelling and something I hadn't considered.

I will say this: as a frequent Alaska Airlines flyer, the F meals you get there are even worse except west coast to Hawaii and transcon, where they do pretty well.

Most of their frequent passengers complain about the mid-con meals. If you fly LAX-YVR, that is 1,080 miles and takes about 3 hours gate to gate. So for say a 7 pm departure, 10 pm arrival, you probably need to be at LAX by 5:30-6 pm. With LA traffic that might mean leaving as early as 4 pm. Boarding could start as early as 6:20 pm. You'll arrive at 10 pm, and even with Nexus you are lucky to be curbside by 10:20 pm. Most places are closed by this time except a few spots downtown.

On board, you will usually get 3 pot stickers and some lettuces, or perhaps a half sandwich and some greens. With your first drink you will get one or two bags of snack mix, which I never eat. That's it. I have always appreciated that the AA meals on such a flight would at least be enough substance that I wouldn't necessarily be scrounging for food at 10:30 pm. If I have a meeting the next morning, I want to be unpacking and getting ready to sleep when I get downtown. So I have to either eat earlier than I'd late at LAX (meaning getting there even earlier) or I have to buy something and eat on board.

The other thing people do is hope they don't run out of buy on board in the Y cabin, but you have to pay for most of it even in F (with some exceptions for perishables).

It's just sad......
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by LSUTigerWes
Please raise hell with them and let them know the meal service was part of the reason you purchased an F ticket. I would go so far as to say it is false advertising to have sold you a flight marketed with a meal without the intention of delivering what they promised.
You make a good point. Just two weeks ago, I purchased tickets in first class for flights that included dinner. In fact at the time of booking it stated dinner service, and at the time of ticketing the ticket receipt noted dinner service. I do think it is a form of false advertising to knowingly sell seats in F class while all along knowing that the level of service stated will be reduced. I"m not saying that it is to the level of a cause of action in court or a formal complaint with the FTC. But it surely looks like a bad business practice. Is this what the New American has become?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:31 pm

<redacted>

I never said that I am entitled to damages. In fact I said, "I"m NOT (emphasis added) saying that it is to the level of a cause of action in court or a formal complaint with the FTC." In other words, I don't think that there is a cause of action, but it still is a bad business practice to sell one thing stating that you are going to get something, only to not in fact deliver what was sold.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2014 at 8:44 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 pm

<redacted>

The only point I am trying to make is that AA should not be selling seats and stating that you will get one thing, when in fact they knew at the time of the sale that they were going to roll back their food offerings. It is not the right way to be treating your customers. That's all I'm trying to say.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts conjecturing what a member didn't say meant and replies have been deleted. Let's not play with others' words and put words in their post that were never there. (
Rule 12
applies here.)

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.