FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1545863-airbus-a321-legacy-us-airways-a321-200-master-thread.html)

SpammersAreScum Nov 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 27471397)
All AA mainline jets have it. Some 321's have seat back entertainment.

The question remains, which 321s? Not the LUS ones, certainly.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum (Post 27471807)

Only LAA 321s have AVOD.

FlightNurse Nov 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum (Post 27471807)

It's not hard to figure out, the 32B's have it, and the original question was regarding streaming entertainment which.

mileshound Nov 13, 2016 5:35 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 27471397)
All AA mainline jets have it. Some 321's have seat back entertainment.

So if all mainline jets have streaming entertainment, how come so many people complain about NO entertainment on long mainline flights?

There is a big difference between no option and the less preferable option of streaming vs seatback.

golfingboy Nov 13, 2016 7:32 am

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 27473715)
So if all mainline jets have streaming entertainment, how come so many people complain about NO entertainment on long mainline flights?

There is a big difference between no option and the less preferable option of streaming vs seatback.

Because the vast majority do not have or can't afford a tablet or a laptop (those who have a company laptop often can't install the gogo flash plugin due to administrative limitations - you will be surprised some companies do not install flash) and a smartphone screen isn't big enough to really enjoy a full feature film.

Personally - I like streaming option, but I have an iPad Pro (and 3 other iPads) so I am biased.

I really hope AA will install AVOD on the LUS 321s as the A321 will be the backbone of their domestic fleet and that way they can easily provide AVOD on all transcontinental, Hawaii, and high yielding Caribbean routes with their A321s and AVOD 737s/319s. AVODs are great, but a bit of a waste on short flights given its cost and weight plus the fact the flight is too short to really put the AVOD to full use. So does not make sense to put them on the legacy LUS 319s and 320s, but the 321s are a different story IMHO.

FlightNurse Nov 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27473994)

I really hope AA will install AVOD on the LUS 321s as the A321 will be the backbone of their domestic fleet and that way they can easily provide AVOD on all transcontinental, Hawaii, and high yielding Caribbean routes with their A321s and AVOD 737s/319s. AVODs are great, but a bit of a waste on short flights given its cost and weight plus the fact the flight is too short to really put the AVOD to full use. So does not make sense to put them on the legacy LUS 319s and 320s, but the 321s are a different story IMHO.

I wish AVOD is installed on all narrow body planes, since LUS 319/A320's have the legs to make PHX-CLT it can be subbed if necessary.

ellinj Nov 14, 2016 6:49 am

my understanding is that AVOD can't be economically added to these planes unless they are ordered with certain wiring options. I doubt DP would have paid a $1 more than he had to so i'd guess the chances of getting it are pretty slim. I recently flew BOS-LAX on a 738 that didn't even have it. I just bring my own tablet with my own content and be happy with what I got.

Fire tablets are like $50 these days.

golfingboy Nov 14, 2016 9:47 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 27476382)
I wish AVOD is installed on all narrow body planes, since LUS 319/A320's have the legs to make PHX-CLT it can be subbed if necessary.

My thinking is get all A321s wired up with AVOD then reshuffle equipment where LAA 319s and handful 738s will be re-allocated to non-LUS 321 transcon flights and the 320s will move over to DFW/ORD covering the midcons. This way all 4.5+ hours flights will have AVOD. To achieve that they have to install AVOD on all LUS 321s, but odds are slim based on how cheap they have been going with the other retrofits - or even when it comes to fleet harmonization.

Originally Posted by ellinj (Post 27477735)

Didn't realize they are that cheap...

enviroian Nov 14, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by YtravelF (Post 27378049)
The big hang up is whether to install seat back AVOD. The capital outlay would be enormous and AA isn't sure it's worth it since they are going to upgrade to satellite based Gogo. The decision should be made soon though.

Speaking of go go I was flying phx-msp on Saturday and I was able to watch movies for free via the AA app using go go wifi. I didn't know AA offered free streaming (like UA does) for movies. Is this new?

ellinj Nov 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 27478512)
Speaking of go go I was flying phx-msp on Saturday and I was able to watch movies for free via the AA app using go go wifi. I didn't know AA offered free streaming (like UA does) for movies. Is this new?

Been a month or so, they offered because both UA and DL are.

ellinj Nov 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 27478475)

Didn't realize they are that cheap...

The hd8 is $89.99 and claims a 12hr battery life, there is $49.99 model as well but I don't think I'd buy it unless you were really trying to save money.

FlightNurse Nov 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj (Post 27477735)

Just purchased a iPad 4 64 gig wifi (refurbished) for $269 on groupon.

N578598_PLT Nov 14, 2016 10:56 pm

LUS 321 coming to an airport near you...

Hi all- I wanted to point out that here in DFW-land the cross-fleeting has taken off with a vengence:eek: With the battle of scheduling vs OPS over, one of the most frequented routes I fly, DFW-SAN has been taken over by LUS321's. 7 of the 10 round-trips per day! Only 3 flights are on LAA planes/crews. My last experience on Nov. 10 was just about the one that "broke the camel's back" only it was my back. Upgrade to 1st came through(even before arrival at the airport!) Had seat 3D- the most broken down cushions I have ever experienced. Not just the bottom-- the seat back was so bad that I could feel the beam that runs through the middle of the back on my spine the entire way. I even had the blanket folded up and it didn't even help! I was almost paralyzed from sitting. I had tried to book away from those planes, but the most recent schedule change undid my efforts. I will not fly on another one until AA refurbishes every last one.

Dthorne1918 Nov 16, 2016 1:55 pm

A321 clt - lax

I'm pretty sure these are the old US Airways planes. I'm flying this route with the wife and 3 kids. Any TV screens in the back of seats in first class? Any TV drop downs at all?

Thanks

lds89 Nov 16, 2016 1:59 pm

You're 100% correct, fly these CLT-LAX and CLT-SFO often

No power; no TVs (not even overhead I don't think). You can bring your own device and watch over the wifi for free.

It's a shame on a 6 hour hub to major WC city transcon they can't at least provide power esp when compared to Delta (tvs at every seat and even some lie flats in first ATL-LAX and ATL-SFO)