Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pschafer
Why not LHR-CDG-LAX-PPT (on TN) - with LHR-CDG on BA - not sure if it's a valid routing but certainly CDG-LAX-PPT is.
I was thinking about that but then they don't allow routings via USA. Even thought about going MAD-SCL-PPT but I guess that will be the same.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I was thinking about that but then they don't allow routings via USA. Even thought about going MAD-SCL-PPT but I guess that will be the same.
You valid routes to South Pacific from Europe are
Direct , Connect in Asia or Connect QR-QR in Doha

so going via South America is not permitted

Did you try boking the LHR-DOH-AKL-PPT routing? this is the one that I would say has the most likelihood of success as a single award, though suspect that PPT may just be one of those places that may not be possible as a single award
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Europe to South Pacific does not allow travel via North America, so CDG-LAX-PPT is not a valid award routing ( without using 2 awards )

Neither BA nor JL have fares for LON-PPT.
Europe to South Pacific does not permit a connection via North America, but TN's CDG-PPT flight is a direct one, merely making a stop in LAX, so I believe that AA will permit the routing as a single award. (Compare LAN's LAX-SCL flight that makes an en-route stop at LIM. AA's routing rules do not permit a connection in SA1 on an award from North America to SA2, but LAN's through-flight has been allowed as a single award.)

Whether LON-PAR on BA can be tacked onto a CDG-PPT award is a different question.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by guv1976
Europe to South Pacific does not permit a connection via North America, but TN's CDG-PPT flight is a direct one, merely making a stop in LAX, so I believe that AA will permit the routing as a single award. (Compare LAN's LAX-SCL flight that makes an en-route stop at LIM. AA's routing rules do not permit a connection in SA1 on an award from North America to SA2, but LAN's through-flight has been allowed as a single award.)

Whether LON-PAR on BA can be tacked onto a CDG-PPT award is a different question.
Good point ^
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:38 pm

A direct service CDG-PPT rather than CDG-LAX-PPT would indeed be ok

Looking at TN's fares, a similar issue to QR exists. TN's fares from LHR-PPT only allow travel from LHR-CDG on AF
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
A direct service CDG-PPT rather than CDG-LAX-PPT would indeed be ok

Looking at TN's fares, a similar issue to QR exists. TN's fares from LHR-PPT only allow travel from LHR-CDG on AF
I believe that another FTer previously reported success in booking TN's CDG-LAX-PPT direct flight as a single award.

It's hard to see why LAN's LAX-LIM-SCL through-flight would be allowed as a single award while TN's CDG-LAX-PPT through-flight would not.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:39 pm

I believe that another FTer previously reported success in booking TN's CDG-LAX-PPT direct flight as a single award.

It's hard to see why LAN's LAX-LIM-SCL through-flight would be allowed as a single award while TN's CDG-LAX-PPT through-flight would not.
I did say that I could not see any reason why the direct flight CDG-PPT would not be allowed regardless of where it may stop enroute - the reference earlier which I was replying to suggested CDG-LAX-PPT ( "not sure if it's a valid routing but certainly CDG-LAX-PPT is." )

the issue as far as an award goes, is that TN doesn't have a fare from LHR-PPT which would allow travel on a flight LHR-CDG which could be used by an AA award
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so going via South America is not permitted

Did you try boking the LHR-DOH-AKL-PPT routing? this is the one that I would say has the most likelihood of success as a single award, though suspect that PPT may just be one of those places that may not be possible as a single award
Thanks. Going to make some bookings next month once the seats open up. Will advise.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:58 am
Suspended

As well as QF-QF connection in Middle East
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I was allowed on LHR-DXB-SYD on QF.

Not sure if it was due to the allowed exception or due to it was a thru flight with same flight number.
Did not ticket it due to the very high LHR taxes once I found a better alternative.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Does BA.com typically show availability on Cathay further into the future than JAL? I see very good JAL availability in mid-November (BOS-ICN) right up til 11/26, then it looks like there is nothing after that. Conversely I can see Cathay availability on BOS-HKG through 12/20/17.

Also, if I can find award space on Cathay (BA.com) from BOS-HKG and then HKG-ICN, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use AA miles to book BOS-HKG-ICN as a single AA partner award? For some reason, BA.com will only show me JAL flights when I search BOS-ICN (routing via Tokyo), however the website will not show Cathay BOS-HKG-ICN even though there are plenty of seats available on both legs on the same day.

Edit to add:

Similar to my 2nd question above, if I could find SAAver availability on AA from BTV (burlington, VT) to JFK, could I combine that with JFK-HKG-ICN on Cathay and it would all still be one single AA Partner award?

Any difference between JAL and Cathay business class? I feel like there is no chance I'll be able to find First class for 2 people but the biz availability looks excellent.

Last edited by perkunas; Jan 1, 2017 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perkunas
Does BA.com typically show availability on Cathay further into the future than JAL? I see very good JAL availability in mid-November (BOS-ICN) right up til 11/26, then it looks like there is nothing after that. Conversely I can see Cathay availability on BOS-HKG through 12/20/17.

Also, if I can find award space on Cathay (BA.com) from BOS-HKG and then HKG-ICN, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use AA miles to book BOS-HKG-ICN as a single AA partner award? For some reason, BA.com will only show me JAL flights when I search BOS-ICN (routing via Tokyo), however the website will not show Cathay BOS-HKG-ICN even though there are plenty of seats available on both legs on the same day.

Edit to add:

Similar to my 2nd question above, if I could find SAAver availability on AA from BTV (burlington, VT) to JFK, could I combine that with JFK-HKG-ICN on Cathay and it would all still be one single AA Partner award?

Any difference between JAL and Cathay business class? I feel like there is no chance I'll be able to find First class for 2 people but the biz availability looks excellent.
Not sure if you can do BOS-HKG-ICN as HKG is in Asia 2 and ICN in Asia 1. I believe the no transit thru 3rd region exception is only granted for Asia 2 via Asia 1, not vice versa.

Yes if you can find Saaver seats from BTV to JFK, you can certainly combine it to the long haul portion to be a single award.

Both the seat itself and cabin configuration are very different between JL and CX despite both are flat beds. It is totally up to one's preference. Though if it were me, I would go with CX anytime.

However in your case you might have to stick with JL because CX would mean transit at Asia 2 and that might not be allowed as single award. Assuming you are on the route that has the new J seats, the only good seat in JL cabin, in my opinion only, is the Window seat. As a couple, you would do fine with the Window / Aisle.
On JL the middle seats are 3 across, fwiw.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:53 pm

Indeed. Asia 2 via Asia 1 is permitted ,but not Asia 1 via Asia 2, so BOS-HKG-ICN would require 2 awards
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Indeed. Asia 2 via Asia 1 is permitted ,but not Asia 1 via Asia 2, so BOS-HKG-ICN would require 2 awards
Thank you to both Happy and Dave. I felt like I must've been missing something obvious with that BOS-HKG-ICN routing. I've never been to Asia and I'm learning the ropes with all the new airlines and rules. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.