Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA widebody / international aircraft on domestic routes (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
WIDEBODY AIRCRAFT FLEET (January 2023)

Boeing:
- 19 772 / 777-200ER 2 Class: J37 Zodiac, W24, Y212 (66 MCE)
- 28 772 / 777-200ER 2 Class: J37 Super Diamond, W24, Y212 (66 MCE)
- 20 77W / 777-300ER 3-class: F8, J52 Zodiac Cirrus, W28, Y216 (28 MCE)
- 20 788 / 787-8 2 Class J20 Zodiac, W28, Y186 (42 MCE)
- 13 788 / 787-8 2 class J20 Super Diamond, W28, Y186 (42 MCE)
- 22 789 / 787-9 2 Class J30 Super Diamond, W21, Y234 (36 MCE)

On Order:
788 / 787-8: 4 in 2023. Super Diamond seating config
789 / 787-9: 30: Delivering through 2026. New seating layout: J51, W32, Y143 (18 MCE)
(Deliveries subject to change)

For widebody aircraft routes and schedules, please consult the AA cargo site: link

For questions, discussion, updates, see the posts below.
Print Wikipost

AA widebody / international aircraft on domestic routes (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by the phoenix
But not on a Y fare like in the good old days,
right?
No, on MIA-JFK you'd have to book F to get the F seats.

You can however select PE seats (for a fee unless you have status) if you book a Y ticket. These seats are better than standard domestic F seats and it's not like the service is going to be all that different on this route so that's also a good option.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Been a while since I flew the AA 777 domestically.

Years ago, I recall being able to book J seats although it was coach service. Is that still a thing?

I see its a 77W. Is flagship service offered on these routes? Im guessing not. But would love ot snap a flagship seat. Perhaps its possible to upgrade w miles?
I will go ahead and merge this into the extant master thread on this subject—you should find some experiences here that relate to your question.

~Moderator
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
J seats are always J/F seats. PE seats are sold as Y seats.
Since I posted, I see in the AA app that can upgrade to F for $259. What service can be expected these days pm such an aircraft, this route , these days?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Since I posted, I see in the AA app that can upgrade to F for $259. What service can be expected these days pm such an aircraft, this route , these days?
$259 to move from the Y cabin to the J cabin is normally a no-brainer for me, although your flight MIA-JFK is only three hours.

In J, you get a lie-flat seat; a substantial snack; complimentary drinks; a more serene environment.

With PE, you are constantly reminded that you are in Y.....bare bones back there.

It's a treat to get the 77W lie-flat seat on a relatively short flight. Is it worth an extra $85 per hour to you? That's a question only you can answer.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
What route are you on?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
$259 to move from the Y cabin to the J cabin is normally a no-brainer for me, although your flight MIA-JFK is only three hours.

In J, you get a lie-flat seat; a substantial snack; complimentary drinks; a more serene environment.

With PE, you are constantly reminded that you are in Y.....bare bones back there.

It's a treat to get the 77W lie-flat seat on a relatively short flight. Is it worth an extra $85 per hour to you? That's a question only you can answer.

On the 77w, Mia-jfk. And it’s on the company dime so I figure why not.
argonath likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by jcatman

Sounds doable. But what’s deceiving is the app shows it as an upgrade to F.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 12:05 pm

My 777 JFK-MIA flight on 22 June has been cancelled. All other options seem to be 737s. Is AA withdrawing wide bodies from this route?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:13 pm

Am I right to assume that right now the "free" PE seats on the 772 and 773 doing the JFK/MIA runs are considered main cabin and therefore no food or drink even for purchase?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by rhg247
Am I right to assume that right now the "free" PE seats on the 772 and 773 doing the JFK/MIA runs are considered main cabin and therefore no food or drink even for purchase?
Correct. No different than main cabin on a 737/A321
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:50 pm

Thanks. Just close enough to the J cabin to see and smell.

Time to roll the dice on the upgrade lotto. But even if that fails, 3 hrs in PE for free is much preferred to the 3 hours in MCE DEN-CLT on a 100% jam packed 321 I just did.
PS...I knew there was no hope going onto this flight, but now that us lowly plats also get auto requested upgrades on every flight I was #16 on the list. Only 1 person cleared at check in.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Bummed a bit about AA's schedule changes for widebody service between LAX-DFW-SJU for this month. I knew last month I would be heading to SJU for at least a frequency of 2x/mo for June/July/Aug and was looking forward to trying to create a WB flight to/from LAX.

Well, I just searched for Wed/Thurs segments: LAX-DFW-SJU-DFW-LAX for 772 and came up short. Nada. Then I searched for Saturday flight options and ditto were the results. Seems as if the Cargo WB US domestic schedule has been scrapped for June 2022 with WB service between the two points. The LAX-MIA WB price point is a little steep in my opinion. But hey, that's what the market is commanding!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Bummed a bit about AA's schedule changes for widebody service between LAX-DFW-SJU for this month. I knew last month I would be heading to SJU for at least a frequency of 2x/mo for June/July/Aug and was looking forward to trying to create a WB flight to/from LAX.

Well, I just searched for Wed/Thurs segments: LAX-DFW-SJU-DFW-LAX for 772 and came up short. Nada. Then I searched for Saturday flight options and ditto were the results. Seems as if the Cargo WB US domestic schedule has been scrapped for June 2022 with WB service between the two points. The LAX-MIA WB price point is a little steep in my opinion. But hey, that's what the market is commanding!
Be glad you have options at all. AA's domestic widebody schedule is nearly nonexistent this summer. I attribute this to a combination of (1) WBs being pulled to increase Europe travel schedule, and (2) delays on receiving 787s.

https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/sc...icJune2022.pdf
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm really enjoying the 8 AM LAX-ORD being operated by a 788. I'll be taking it for my second time next month. It's a tough upgrade but as you can select a seat in PE as MCE it's glorious.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I had snagged 2 F seats on BOS-MIA on a 772 in October and was really looking forward to that but just got the EF alert that I'm now flying a 321neo. They seem to have pulled the 772 from this route. So bummed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.