Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New LAA 738 with audio video on demand / AVOD began flying 18 Dec 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Djokison
AA Boeing 737-823 / "738" with in-seat AVOD
Audio-Video On Demand in seat back, new slimline seats inaugurated 13 Dec 2013

• As of 15FEB17, 66 738s (22.3% out of the fleet of 287) are equipped with in-seat AVOD. N314PD
  • They also have new slimline seats in economy, which are reported to be a touch more comfortable than older 738s but with less foot space
  • All new 737s on order will have this configuration
  • "Really big boxes" are present under some seats and limit the space for bags and the legroom:
    • In business (first) class they are under the B and E seats; pictures here
    • In economy class they are under the A, C, D and F seats; C and D seats are more restricted
  • Occasional difficulties occur; holding down the POWER button ten seconds reboots your IFE system (thanks JMN57)
  • These aircraft are not dedicated and are assigned to any route, so you cannot find out whether you will fly on one of these when you're booking (or, really, until you're at the gate)
  • The registration number of these aircraft is N939NN and above (note: the -AN excluded)
  • If you're interested, you can find the registration number of the aircraft assigned (but subject to change) to a flight from about ~24 hours before its departure at www.flightstats.com, in the "Event Timeline" tab (look for "TAIL" events)

Thanks to djokison for starting and adding to this wiki.
Print Wikipost

New LAA 738 with audio video on demand / AVOD began flying 18 Dec 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by LAXative
5%
Now now. No need to lowball it. It's actually a cool 6.3%.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
Then I better not risk the chance.

I should fly Delta instead.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:49 pm

If personal IFE is not available on the 737-800 that I may be on, would AA at least distribute Samsung galaxy tablet in the first class? I'll be on a cross-country flight from Miami to los angeles, probably on a 737-800 (not sure new or old).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
No Samsung tablets on the 738 transcons, unfortunately.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
If personal IFE is not available on the 737-800 that I may be on, would AA at least distribute Samsung galaxy tablet in the first class? I'll be on a cross-country flight from Miami to los angeles, probably on a 737-800 (not sure new or old).
Originally Posted by socalduck
No Samsung tablets on the 738 transcons, unfortunately.
Unless something has changed recently, I definitely got a Samsung Galaxy Tablet on my SEA-JFK flight last year. I would think LAX-MIA, and vice versa, would get the same treatment.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Love the feature on longer mid-con flights. Had it for the first time this morning on LGA DFW flight.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison
Uhm, if it is a fact, can you please update the Wikipost?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by dat4life
Unless something has changed recently, I definitely got a Samsung Galaxy Tablet on my SEA-JFK flight last year. I would think LAX-MIA, and vice versa, would get the same treatment.
That is interesting. I've flown RDU-LAX, DCA-LAX and BOS-LAX multiple times and have never seen the tablets. I have not flown MIA-LAX or JFK-SEA on the 738, but I always assumed they got the same "enhanced" service as the other 738 transcons.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:52 pm

So there is a conflicting report on this issue? Which direction should I go? If AA doesn't offer personal entertainment on 737, then I'll just book Delta with connection in ATL, at least I would know for sure that the ATL-LAX leg would have PTV.

I personally think AA has to distribute tablet on 737 without PTV at least to the first class passengers, because most of Delta and United's domestic 737 have PTV on every seats. Not sure how AA competes with them if they still use overhead video for entertainment.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I personally think AA has to distribute tablet on 737 without PTV at least to the first class passengers, because most of Delta and United's domestic 737 have PTV on every seats. Not sure how AA competes with them if they still use overhead video for entertainment.
United actually stopped installing PTVs on 737s and has begun removing IFE from its domestic fleet.

AA competes just fine because most people don't care about PTVs, and certainly aren't going to fly via Atlanta just for that feature. I'll take AA's insanely superior trans-con service and forgo the PTV, or just fly Delta non-stop if it's important, Delta flies MIALAX, usually with a PTV-equipped 737.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA does not compete in quality. If you read any large scale survey (JD Powers, etc.), you'll notice that DL (4 power circles--better than most) is in a category above AA (3 power circles--about average). AA competes with price (lower yield than DL) and perks (AAdvantage more rewarding than SkyMiles).

AA was starting to move upstream in quality, but US Airways took it over and that management team is of the low-quality persuasion (US is a 2 power circles airline).

PTV has a tremendous pull and is an integral part of JetBlue's success.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:43 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
All of DL's 738's are not equipped with PTV's. The ones not equipped have the overhead monitors.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by fly4work
All of DL's 738's are not equipped with PTV's. The ones not equipped have the overhead monitors.
Keyword : "most" of their 737-800....

Plus, delta tells u at the time of booking if the 737 is equipped with ptv, so u know what u will be getting before u pay for te reservation.

by the way, delta's nonstop from Mia to lax is at 7am, bad timing for me and is not offered daily, not on the day I plan to travel.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
PTV has a tremendous pull and is an integral part of JetBlue's success.
But note the distinction - PTV with live TV vs. AVOD. People upthread were conflating the two. Live TV is the killer app.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by socalduck
That is interesting. I've flown RDU-LAX, DCA-LAX and BOS-LAX multiple times and have never seen the tablets. I have not flown MIA-LAX or JFK-SEA on the 738, but I always assumed they got the same "enhanced" service as the other 738 transcons.
So there is a conflicting report on this issue? Which direction should I go? If AA doesn't offer personal entertainment on 737, then I'll just book Delta with connection in ATL, at least I would know for sure that the ATL-LAX leg would have PTV.

Here's our answer:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/galaxyTab.jsp

American Airlines continues to bring you the latest entertainment options by being the first domestic airline to offer complimentary use of a branded tablet for premium class entertainment.

The innovative, Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 Android platform tablet, featuring a 10.1 inch screen, enables a customized viewing experience. Our First and Business Class passengers will enjoy the tablet along with Bose headsets on the following flights.

Flights Served With 737-800 Aircraft Between:
Boston and Los Angeles
JFK and Seattle
JFK and San Diego
Interesting that tablets are offered between BOS and LAX and not BOS LAX and MIA.

Last edited by dat4life; Jul 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm Reason: Fix typo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.