Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Saw this when I logged in today..

Updates for the 2014 membership year may impact the elite status level on members' account. Please check back in the next 48 hours.

Change a comin' fast perhaps?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:11 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
guess they read my post and go to work :P
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ivoryboi

Updates for the 2014 membership year may impact the elite status level on members' account. Please check back in the next 48 hours.

Te only changes are 28 Feb ed of status year and end of METU counter for the year.

All that means is they are behind (as usual) on IT. No 500 mile upgrades for about a month, incorrect SWU tallies, add weekend batch processing and Ventana upgrade issues (can it be purely coincidental "Ventana" in Spanish means "Window" ?)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by wjj
For purely selfish reasons, I would like to see a forth level at 75K if, and only if, lifetime benefits were available at say 3 million miles. I will pass 4 million in a few weeks, but after getting LT PL at 2 million, there is nothing else at AA.... But LT Platinum Plus (or whatever they call it) would be a welcome LT enhancement for those of us who have flown enough (and all my miles are from flying) to qualify for LT PL twice over.
I agree. Assuming, that is, that "LT Platinum Plus (or whatever they call it)" will be grandfathered in for those who reach it prior to any change in the program. (And yes, the rationale is selfish — just as politics and weather are local.)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by ivoryboi

Can you please clarify where you saw that ?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Can you please clarify where you saw that ?

Thanks.
This wording showed up in my aa.com account when I looked this weekend. As previously posted, I do not believe it has any significance other than the weekend processing added to all the other stuff going on just now (Ventana, weather, weekend batch processing, etc.) and it relates to current (post 28 Feb) correct status showing.

Personally, I don't feel any need to worry about this message; less than for the one about 500 mile upgrades not being shown (these latter show on one's mobile account, anyway).
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Not necessarily. Those who can afford to spend the money for at least the main perks probably don't have much loyalty to a particular airline anyway unless they see a difference in service, not status or miles. But for everyone else, profitability depends on your ticket price and how much you fly. That 'how much you fly' is where the road warrior has the advantage and can be more profitable with 50 trips a year than the truly wealthy flying a dozen or so trips a year. The road warriors would still have a reason to be loyal to the carrier that best serves their travel needs since the more they fly that carrier the more profitable they can be and the more perks they can get.

Jim
AAdvantage is a loyalty program. The goal is to keep passengers loyal to AA by incentivizing them to do repeat business with AA. IMO, the core group of pax a loyalty program should target are the high economy fare pax. Why? This group has the most to lose if they should take their business elsewhere. By giving them all the elite perks, you keep them coming back because if they go elsewhere, they'll start having to pay bag fees, sit in less desirable coach seats, endure long lines, etc. The more perks AA gives them, the more they have to lose by not flying AA.

The folks who can fly paid F all the time are not going to be that loyal. Paid F usually receives most elite perks already, and most others aren't applicable. Of course, exclusive paid F pax really don't care about upgrades! They are more schedule sensitive and will fly the most convenient schedule.

Of course, low fare coach pax are really un-loyal, willing to go out of their way to save a dime.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: None
I think that's what I said except for FFer programs being loyalty programs. The day of "loyalty" programs are gone - they're profit centers now. Of course, the miles tend to trap FFers into one program unless they fly enough to maintain status on multiple airlines.

Jim
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
AAdvantage is a loyalty program. The goal is to keep passengers loyal to AA by incentivizing them to do repeat business with AA. IMO, the core group of pax a loyalty program should target are the high economy fare pax. Why? This group has the most to lose if they should take their business elsewhere. By giving them all the elite perks, you keep them coming back because if they go elsewhere, they'll start having to pay bag fees, sit in less desirable coach seats, endure long lines, etc. The more perks AA gives them, the more they have to lose by not flying AA.

The folks who can fly paid F all the time are not going to be that loyal. Paid F usually receives most elite perks already, and most others aren't applicable. Of course, exclusive paid F pax really don't care about upgrades! They are more schedule sensitive and will fly the most convenient schedule.

Of course, low fare coach pax are really un-loyal, willing to go out of their way to save a dime.
I don't mind if us/aa tightens their program - I just want to know it's not going to be drastically different year to year ala delta. If they are going to change the program I just wish they would commit to only make changes every 5 years or so.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:37 pm

A perfectly understandable sentiment and one that I don't disagree with. Unfortunately a merger involves either incremental changes or nothing changes till they're ready to combine the programs. Parker has a history of tinkering with various aspects of the US program over the years since that merger, though.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: All of Them
Sorry y'all if this is a dumb question, but if I credit an UA operated flight on US DM, will it count as AA EQM for 2014 or not?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:16 am

Probably not although no one knows when they will combine the two programs. Once they do, however, your miles will all be AA miles and hopefully US EQMs will become AA EQMs unless they combine the programs effective on 1/1 when everyone starts from zero accumulating EQMs for status.

Jim
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
I'll take a shot at this. It is the most logical because measuring a customer's value by miles/segments flown (versus dollars spent) is not what industry leaders Southwest and (now) Delta are doing.

What is not logical about rewarding customers who spend more money?
AAdvantage isn't really in place to reward anyone...it's there to encourage a behavior (booking with AA). The argument that FF programs should be linked to spend only works if you agree with the sentiment that those who spend the most spend that cash because of the FF program. I don't happen to believe that so that's probably why we disagree.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:00 am

While FF programs started, and for a long time were loyalty programs that started changing in the 90's. Now they're mainly an additional source of revenue to increase the bottom line with the sale of miles being the main revenue stream. From that perspective, those who travel on the lower fares contribute little to the bottom line other than filling a seat that otherwise might go out empty - hence DL's change to giving them fewer miles. Those that fly on higher coach and FC/Business fares contribute the most to the bottom line - hence DL's change to giving them a lot more miles.

Of course, those that pay top fares don't need to be loyal to any carrier although carriers would love to have them. So the FF program is trending to give the most to those who pay higher fares although not necessarily the highest. And trending away from giving as much to those that pay the lowest fares - which more and more business travelers are required to purchase.

As nice as it would be for the road warriors to be awarded for the miles they fly, that's slowly going away.

Jim
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
While FF programs started, and for a long time were loyalty programs that started changing in the 90's. Now they're mainly an additional source of revenue to increase the bottom line with the sale of miles being the main revenue stream. From that perspective, those who travel on the lower fares contribute little to the bottom line other than filling a seat that otherwise might go out empty - hence DL's change to giving them fewer miles. Those that fly on higher coach and FC/Business fares contribute the most to the bottom line - hence DL's change to giving them a lot more miles.
DL's still screwing even the high priced flyers. In the vast majority of cases - especially on long haul international, most DL flyers are coming out way behind. Even the diamonds.

Many are also pissed off about the 75k RDM cap DL put on.. You buy a really expensive C ticket, the cap really shafts you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.