Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealFan
This is something about AA which I don't like. The timing of a ticket purchase and upgrade request is what drives the order of the upgrade list.
I think DP values revenue over loyalty and this will be changed over time.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by username
Two things I wonder:

1 - Will there be soft landing like AAdvantage?
2 - Will there be a challenge program like AAdvantage or the DM Pay $200 Trial?

I don't care so much about #1 but certainly hope they have a better elite matching/fast track program than DM.

Thanks.
Good thing you don't care about #1 because it doesn't exist any more

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...confirmed.html
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripy

Oh good. Some 1K/GS on the UA side matched over to EXP this year and were counting on this. I stayed put as my primary focus is still UA, at least until I reach 1 MM there. Living in a US hub, it seems I should move over at one point... Probably want to wait until we know:

1 - new program details
2 - my hub is still a hub
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Quote:

Higher tier elites still get their UDUs. Lower tier elites will see a higher success rate and actual first class service (US first is more akin to JetBlue's "Even More Space" than anything else) for a nominal fee. Fair trade off.
I respectfully disagree that I will see a higher success rate. And that is the point the US elite are trying to make. As a US Gold, I get a 75% upgrade success mainly because I fly non-Elite heavy routes and don't fly the consultant commuter rush hour. To get that on AAdvantage plan I'd be buying 4 stickers for each 700 mile trip. ($120 if I understand correctly).

For someone who travels weekly that is a big downgrade. Although you may not see US F as a "real" First class, it is a h*ll of a lot better than the MCE I'd be relegated to.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by Stripy

"Confirmed" well the date of that letter post was May 2013 I'm of the thinking that a lot has changed since then and Who knows what will come about..
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Segments
I respectfully disagree that I will see a higher success rate. And that is the point the US elite are trying to make. As a US Gold, I get a 75% upgrade success mainly because I fly non-Elite heavy routes and don't fly the consultant commuter rush hour. To get that on AAdvantage plan I'd be buying 4 stickers for each 700 mile trip. ($120 if I understand correctly).
A 700 mile trip only requires $60 in stickers. If you travel off peak on non-elite heavy routes, there is no reason to believe your success rate will be less. If you don't value the first class service (a 700 mile flight on AA has hot meal service), MCE gives you just as much legroom, and it's free.

I'm Platinum. I fly primarily off-peak, all leisure, mainly trans-con on elite heavy routes. I get upgraded over 90% of the time.

Last edited by MAH4546; Dec 25, 2013 at 6:03 pm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Speculation Discussion)

$60 each way is $120 RT. On a weekly basis that is a substantial up charge.

I prefer First for the seat width. In MCE I'm still trying to stagger shoulders with adjacent pax and sharing an armrest.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
$60 each way is $120 RT. On a weekly basis that is a substantial up charge.

I prefer First for the seat width. In MCE I'm still trying to stagger shoulders with adjacent pax and sharing an armrest.
If you're flying every week, there is a good chance that you would be EXP in the new AA, based on segments. That should keep you UDU for upgrades. How many segments a year do you fly now?

--woodstock
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I would like to see the current three levels plus a super uber 150K level

I wonder if AA will go the way of DL with the Low/Med/High which really means

none/a few teasers/almost all
Exactly my experience on DL. Unless you want to depart on a Wednesday from US - South America and return 3 days later in the middle of off season.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
AA Golds boarding with group 2...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:47 pm
Suspended

MCE gives you just as much legroom, and it's free.
Which mainline MCE aircraft give you "just as much legroom" as First?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
I am excited to hear if any new lifetime tiers will be added to the AAdvantage program. Does anyone think that we may hear this as early as next week?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP

For someone who travels weekly that is a big downgrade. Although you may not see US F as a "real" First class, it is a h*ll of a lot better than the MCE I'd be relegated to.
Agreed. It's part of the current US value proposition that elites have a reasonable chance of getting an upgrade for $0 without any shenanigans. AA MCE instead of US F is a downgrade of our experience. (And really, are we making the argument that it's the hot meal that's worth $60 per flight? If F is just MCE with extra service, then just go to the intra-European business class model already - then at least you can resize the cabin as necessary.) Fair enough, I'm CP and in any case probably my experience won't change, but that doesn't mean I want to throw lower-level US elites under the bus.

One last comment - I've never quite bought the "higher chance of clearing an upgrade that you really want" argument; presumably the upgrades that you "really want" are the upgrades that everyone else "really wants." Perhaps there's some improvement in availability on 2-3 hr flights, but will your upgrade chances significantly really improve on PHL-SFO with stickers? I doubt it. (Yes, there will be fewer upgrades on CLT-DCA, whoopee.)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by superweak
One last comment - I've never quite bought the "higher chance of clearing an upgrade that you really want" argument; presumably the upgrades that you "really want" are the upgrades that everyone else "really wants." Perhaps there's some improvement in availability on 2-3 hr flights, but will your upgrade chances significantly really improve on PHL-SFO with stickers? I doubt it. (Yes, there will be fewer upgrades on CLT-DCA, whoopee.)
I'm PLAT and am one fight shy of 100% in the past three years on MIALAX, an elite heavy route served with a lot of widebody/lie-flat equipment and a meal/on-board product similar to what US tries to pass off as trans-Atlantic J. I fly the route very often.

I'm also over 90% on JFKLAX, and I am 100% on BOSLAX and DCALAX.

DFWLAX is the hardest upgrade.

When companions aren't getting free upgrades, it changes things drastically.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I'm PLAT and am one fight shy of 100% in the past three years on MIALAX, an elite heavy route served with a lot of widebody/lie-flat equipment and a meal/on-board product similar to what US tries to pass off as trans-Atlantic J. I fly the route very often.
Similar? More like far superior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.