Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

This is a first... even for me! PPT award routing (through fare) restrictions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is a first... even for me! PPT award routing (through fare) restrictions...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by combiblock
i defntly learn something new tonight.
Fare rules are an excellent place to start for international/partner award routings after relevant AAdvantage redemption carriers have been identified. One can confirm/deny desired routing(s) and often be shown valid routings one might not expect.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Having a similar problem with TN routing on NAN-AKL-PPT. First leg is operated by FJ and second leg is TN. TN doesn't publish a route from NAN to PPT so the AA desk will only allow two awards.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Ask AA why TN is the relevant carrier instead of FJ.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:31 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Ask AA why TN is the relevant carrier instead of FJ.
No airline publishes a fare between NAN and PPT.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by grahampros
Sad to say to the OP, AA is just following the correct rules here.A single award just does not apply out of your station. That's a restriction TN is placing since they dont want to pay for the segment.
Sadder to say that AA is just following the arbitrary, restrictive and unpublished rules that it set for itself.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Random Flyer
Sadder to say that AA is just following the arbitrary, restrictive and unpublished rules that it set for itself.
The side effect of previous abuses that were gloated about of the generous nature of the scheme it would seem to me. In the end the majority lose thanks to the acts of a minority
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:00 pm

This is a wake up call for me. I have been hoping to get a Europe-PPT route using an Aadvantage/oneworld award. Final segment would be on TN from NRT.

In order for it to be one award, TN would need to publish a fare from somewhere in europe to NRT (stopovers via North america are not allowed).

This is a train wreck.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by schwaa
This is a wake up call for me. I have been hoping to get a Europe-PPT route using an Aadvantage/oneworld award. Final segment would be on TN from NRT.

In order for it to be one award, TN would need to publish a fare from somewhere in europe to NRT (stopovers via North america are not allowed).

This is a train wreck.
Why would you have to route via NRT?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I had read in the wiki that a stopover in North America was not allowed on a Europe-South Pacific award. It also states that NRT is one of the only locations allowed for connections when routing through Asia. I have another thread in this forum with my situation laid out. I had thought I had it all planned, not so much now.

Originally Posted by HNL
TN operates CDG-LAX-PPT, so there are fares via north america published.
Yes it does, and I had been looking at TN7 CDG-LAX-PPT. But I don't believe I can get it with one award. It would be Europe-North America (50k business) then North America-South Pacific (62.5k business), so nearly twice as much as a single Europe-South Pacific
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had read in the wiki that a stopover in North America was not allowed on a Europe-South Pacific award. It also states that NRT is one of the only locations allowed for connections when routing through Asia. I have another thread in this forum with my situation laid out. I had thought I had it all planned, not so much now.

Originally Posted by HNL
TN operates CDG-LAX-PPT, so there are fares via north america published.
Yes it does, and I had been looking at TN7 CDG-LAX-PPT. But I don't believe I can get it with one award. It would be Europe-North America (50k business) then North America-South Pacific (62.5k business), so nearly twice as much as a single Europe-South Pacific
On a Europe-PPT award, a stopover is not allowed anywhere in the world, not even NRT. Connections are available in Europe, in the South Pacific, and at certain Asian airports (subject to published-fare rules).

I would try for a redemption on TN's CDG-PPT direct flight, which makes an en-route stop at LAX. Since you would neither be connecting nor stopping over at LAX, you might be able to redeem for that. But be prepared to escalate things up to a supervisor if the lead agent rebuffs you. An analogous situation is LAN's LAX-SCL through-flight which makes a stop in LIM. AA's awards between North America and South America 2 (SCL) do not permit a connection in South America 1 (LIM). But the LAX-SCL through-flight can be booked on a single award because no connection is being made in LIM.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:33 pm
Suspended

I have been hoping to get a Europe-PPT route using an Aadvantage/oneworld award. Final segment would be on TN from NRT.

In order for it to be one award, TN would need to publish a fare from somewhere in europe to NRT....
That might or might not be true. It's possible that the carrier between Europe and the Asia connecting point would have to publish the fare. You would have to ask AA about that.

In any case, it would have to be a through Europe-PPT (not NRT) fare that allows the routing you want.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:26 am

On a Europe-PPT award, a stopover is not allowed anywhere in the world, not even NRT. Connections are available in Europe, in the South Pacific, and at certain Asian airports (subject to published-fare rules).

I would try for a redemption on TN's CDG-PPT direct flight, which makes an en-route stop at LAX. Since you would neither be connecting nor stopping over at LAX, you might be able to redeem for that. But be prepared to escalate things up to a supervisor if the lead agent rebuffs you. An analogous situation is LAN's LAX-SCL through-flight which makes a stop in LIM. AA's awards between North America and South America 2 (SCL) do not permit a connection in South America 1 (LIM). But the LAX-SCL through-flight can be booked on a single award because no connection is being made in LIM.

Thank you! I was able to call back and got a representative who knew what she was doing. She booked me on TN7 CDG-PPT with the enroute stop at LAX for 60k points per person in business class! Not a bad deal to fly halfway across the world in business for 60k pts!

Sorry for hijacking!
Old May 10, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for hijacking!
No worries, glad you made it. Great redemption value.

Actually, I too have an update. Whadd'yano - I called every couple of months, and ended up being transferred to a "Resolution Desk". They "liaised with the liaison" (gotta luv it) and it appears that serendipitously, CMH-LAX-PPT with the domestic segment on AA metal is now allowable under one 37.5K (Econ) award without the DL requirement. They have reissued my tix and refunded the 12.5K each for both pax.

Not sure if someone realized that mandating the use of a non-partner on a published fare using AA miles was utter balderdash, or it was a system error to begin with.

Moral of the story: Perseverance pays, and although it may take a while for the gears to turn, AA will ultimately do the right thing.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:51 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have been working to get a reward from PPT for the past 2 weeks and I just found this thread and wanted to share my experience instead of starting a new one...

Initially, I had no idea about these rules - I read the chart, and said oh, a PPT-LHR F award should be 80K and a J award would be 60K. And just so happens, there was 1 F seat and 1 J seat available on AKL-KUL-LHR on MH and 2x economy seats on PPT-AKL. I cheerfully called in to book it. Hit a wall straight away as they quoted me 80K for J and 100K for F. I hadn't read this thread, so I questioned the result since the chart said otherwise.

First they blamed it on flying through Asia, but I pointed out that AKL-KUL-LHR prices out at 60K for J, so why would adding PPT which is in the same region as AKL add miles? 45 minutes later, the agent comes back and says the reason it won't work is because I have exceeded the mileage limit, and helpfully proceeded to add up all the mileage on the segment on the phone with me, only to find out the sum was less than the mileage limit. Another 45 minutes on hold, the agent comes back and congratulated me and says that they have manually adjusted the award and it will ticket shortly! Success!

Interestingly, the F award for 80K ticketed within 24 hours, but the J award lingered "on request". After 2 days I called, the agent cheerfully resubmitted the J award, only to see that it is pricing out at 80K instead of 60K. But there was no pushback - she just went to work to manually adjust it back down to 60K. 40 minutes of holding later, she was able to force the 60K through again and said it should ticket in 24-48 hours.

Another 3 days, and no ticket, so I got a book to read and gave them a call again. This time it did not go so well. The agent immediately pointed out that the award price is wrong and thats why it is not ticketing. I pointed out that the other agent already went through this with the other desk and decided it should be 60K. Hold for 45 minutes with similar back and forth with the first agent, but the end result was different. The agent finally came back and basically said the other agent made a mistake. We went back and forth for a while before she gave me an ultimatum: you either pay 80K or we cancel it. So I paid the extra miles.

I was incensed! But after reading this thread, I guess this is actually not permitted because there is no valid fare on TN that routes through AKL to LON? I wish the agent would've just told me that. Would've saved me a lot of time on the phone...

Question is, the trip is not for another few months... should I keep calling back to see if they will give me my 20K miles back?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I guess this is actually not permitted because there is no valid fare on TN that routes through AKL to LON?"

If the routing PPT-AKL-KUL-LHR is not valid, it would be because the over-water carrier (MH?) does not publish a through-fare that permits such a routing. It has nothing to do with TN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.