Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:23 am

Oh wow! thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
For JFK, I was planning on arriving via the afternoon QR flight. So, JFK has an edge due to less hauling around of luggage!! thank you again!
^^

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This depends on which QR flight you're on into JFK.

If you're on the mid afternoon arrival (77W), then JFK will be much easier. This flight arrives into T8 at JFK, same terminal AA uses. There will be an AA baggage re-check desk immediately after customs and immigration, you can drop your bag there, then proceed upstairs through security to your AA flight.

The early morning QR flight (359) arrives into T7 at JFK. So after customs and immigration, you'll have to go outside and up to the AirTrain and take it one stop over to T8, where you can check in for your AA flight.

At IAH, QR uses Terminal D and AA uses Terminal A. Basically the same as the T7 arrival into JFK above, after you clear formalities you take the subway train over to Term. A and check in with AA.

Where is your final destination? I'd probably go with JFK either way, the connection will either be much easier or about the same, and you can use the nicer Flagship Lounge as well, especially if a shower is on your agenda.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello, I have a question about transferring from QR International arrival to AA domestic -

Assume the following: Yes for Global entry; Yes for checked baggage ; Separate tickets (Not sure if bags will be interlined to AA);
Connect time = approx. 120 minutes.

In this case, which is easier? IAH (Houston Bush) Versus JFK New York?
I have absolutely zero experience with JFK.
I haven't done IAH transfers on OW, only Star, so can't help you there.

You can request QR to tag your bag onwards to your final destination on AA even though it's on a separate ticket. QR will most probably issue you AA's BP as well.

I've done the morning flight arrival (QR703) at T7. You do not have to lug your checked bag to T8. If QR tags it to your final destination, just clear customs and immigration and then as you exit to landside, turn to the right and you'll see baggage drop-off for Qatar (they will transfer your bags over to AA at T8). This baggage transfer is shared with CX/BA/NH etc. but there will be a QR agent there to check that your bag has been tagged to AA.

QR701 at T8 will be the easiest since AA has checkin counters once you exit customs and immigration (same goes for DFW).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:53 am

^^
Originally Posted by nov11

You can request QR to tag your bag onwards to your final destination on AA even though it's on a separate ticket. QR will most probably issue you AA's BP as well.

I've done the morning flight arrival (QR703) at T7. You do not have to lug your checked bag to T8. If QR tags it to your final destination, just clear customs and immigration and then as you exit to landside, turn to the right and you'll see baggage drop-off for Qatar (they will transfer your bags over to AA at T8). This baggage transfer is shared with CX/BA/NH etc. but there will be a QR agent there to check that your bag has been tagged to AA.

QR701 at T8 will be the easiest since AA has checkin counters once you exit customs and immigration (same goes for DFW).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nov11

+1. I've done a RT to BLR in the past on separate tickets (SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-DOH-BLR on QR and v.v.) ; while AA refused to check me through on the outbound, QR was happy to issue both luggage tags and BPs all the way to my destination.

Global Entry probably won't make a huge difference, since my guess is your rate limiting step will be baggage reclaim. With the bags tagged through to your final destination by QR, JFK via T8 is a no-brainer. Safe travels.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by scnzzz
+1. I've done a RT to BLR in the past on separate tickets (SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-DOH-BLR on QR and v.v.) ; while AA refused to check me through on the outbound, QR was happy to issue both luggage tags and BPs all the way to my destination.

Global Entry probably won't make a huge difference, since my guess is your rate limiting step will be baggage reclaim. With the bags tagged through to your final destination by QR, JFK via T8 is a no-brainer. Safe travels.
Thanks much!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:15 pm

Book on a QR award fight BOS-DOH-NBO. First leg was I second leg X. I saw space open up on BA and called to move from X to I on the second leg. When the agent called QR pulled the space and refused to reconfirm my original X leg leaving me unconfirmed for my second leg. AA said to call back later and see if they could confirm the space but are saying QR said they would not release it. Any suggestions on what to do here. Should I book a DOH-NBO for $ or hold out and hope for space to come back? I have 2 months until travel. TIA
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Forgive if this has been covered before. I'm looking to book a trip to Africa next summer (probably June 2019). As of now, it's looking like Tanzania is our destination. In an effort to be prepared, I've been planning and thus looking at award routings and have come up with the following:

SEA > PHL (AA)
PHL > DOH (QR)
DOH > DAR (QR)

Questions:
  1. I have found example dates where this works using the BA award search and called AA to successfully price it out to 75k miles per person in business. However, when searching I notice that the award space is readily available during Oct 2018 from DOH > DAR, but after that it's pretty much non-existent. When does this award space get released? Is there something significant about that time of the year causing award space to dry up immediately?
  2. Can I request to be put on a wait list if saver Business/First space is not available on the domestic SEA > PHL leg?
  3. I tried finding availability on other QR gateway cities but didn't have much luck. Is PHL my best bet or are there other options?
  4. Assuming QR upgrades their fleet to Qsuite by my travel date next year, it shouldn't effect my flights, correct? I'm actually hoping for this since it appears that Qsuites are hard to book as is.
Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Are they blocking award availability because of their financial losses? Decrease in award seats not just limited to AA redemptions. Seems to be the same for QMiles holders too.
Correct, I'm PLT in QRPC, and we're no better off.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
If they're having financial issues, one would think that any little bit would help in filling seats - they do get at least some compensation for award flights, and I'd think it would be enough to cover marginal catering and fuel, though I suppose I could be wrong.
QR is now selling upgrades at the airport. So getting some cash for those empty seats is much better for them than taking miles off the liability section of their balance sheet. And if they're not going to make mileage awards available to QRPC members, they can hardly do it for AAdvantage members.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
QR is now selling upgrades at the airport. So getting some cash for those empty seats is much better for them than taking miles off the liability section of their balance sheet. And if they're not going to make mileage awards available to QRPC members, they can hardly do it for AAdvantage members.
Well shoot, if they'd do that and the price is right, I'd just be done with the whole award deal anyhow. You know if they're selling those at IAD perchance?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jon.
when searching I notice that the award space is readily available during Oct 2018 from DOH > DAR, but after that it's pretty much non-existent. When does this award space get released? Is there something significant about that time of the year causing award space to dry up immediately?
The first question might be more appropriate for the Qatar Airways forum (as people there are much more likely to know QR award release patterns for destinations "beyond DOH" than people in the AA forum).

The second question might be more appropriate for the Africa forum.

Originally Posted by Jon.
I tried finding availability on other QR gateway cities but didn't have much luck. Is PHL my best bet or are there other options?
Were you looking all days of the week, or just certain days of the week?

In the past, to/from much of the USA, Qatar has often made seats available only for Mon-Thu departures, never for Fri-Sun departures.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The first question might be more appropriate for the Qatar Airways forum (as people there are much more likely to know QR award release patterns for destinations "beyond DOH" than people in the AA forum).
Thanks I'll try asking this question in that forum!

The second question might be more appropriate for the Africa forum.
My second question was more geared towards the fact that there wasn't any Saver Business/First available on the domestic SEA > PHL leg. I've been able to find Business availability on PHL > DOH and DOH > DAR. Can I request to be waitlisted on the domestic outbound leg from my home airport? If so, where would I fall on the upgrade list and is it likely to upgraded? Sorry I don't fly AA much

Were you looking all days of the week, or just certain days of the week?

In the past, to/from much of the USA, Qatar has often made seats available only for Mon-Thu departures, never for Fri-Sun departures.
I was trying any days of the week over the course of a few months and wasn't having luck. I originally had started on routes with Q Suites, but then started to realize that that award space seemed non-existent, so I opted for other gateway cities. I was able to consistently find availability for 4 seats in Business out of PHL, but rarely any other airports. Again, this is just hypothetical since my desired travel date is over a year away, but trying to plan accordingly

Last edited by SEAJon; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
DOH-MLE shortage

Hi guys,

If I recall correctly, QR awards for DOH-MLE leg was pretty easy to get but it seems it is no longer such a case. Availability in Jan/Feb 2019 is nearly zero... even worse than CX HKG-MLE. Asia-DOH legs are widely open in Jan/Feb 2019 by the way.

Can anyone throw some lights on this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:56 am

There's some on here that are adamant that the space is there for most routes and nothing has changed. My experience is very different, as I see a clear difference in the amount of Qatar availability for partner award bookings between now and 4 months ago. I'll further state that my experiences booking and searching have not been out of the US, but awards from/to Asia, Europe, and Africa from/to Doha. It seems like Qatar has made a conscious decision to limit awards for partner bookings, especially in J.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Availability in U (J awards) from Doha to the USA for next February (2019) has opened up in the past few hours/days. While on the phone with Aadvantage, 4 seats in J opened up for our dates to JFK (Q-Suites). Given recenr observations, I wouldn't expect these awards to last long, but hopefully I'm too pessimistic.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Availability in U (J awards) from Doha to the USA for next February (2019) has opened up in the past few hours/days. While on the phone with Aadvantage, 4 seats in J opened up for our dates to JFK (Q-Suites). Given recenr observations, I wouldn't expect these awards to last long, but hopefully I'm too pessimistic.
Great news! I am seeing availability on all the routes I was looking for and had totally dried up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.