Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Anyone on here successfully booked middle Q Suites? I got the award through AAdvantage, but they can't book middle suites and the Qatar Airways agent I ringed up said they'd only be available day of departure. That seems fishy to me since I can see that they do get booked up via ExpertFlyer.

Just wanting to check before I spend hours on the phone.
There's been a fair bit of discussion of this here. My conclusion is that it seems to very much depend on route. Non-LHR seems easy to book center seats, available via online manage booking as well as via QR phone agents. In contrast, LHR seems to have a policy of not being bookable except at check-in (or perhaps close to departure). Quite frustrating.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by anabolism
There's been a fair bit of discussion of this here. My conclusion is that it seems to very much depend on route. Non-LHR seems easy to book center seats, available via online manage booking as well as via QR phone agents. In contrast, LHR seems to have a policy of not being bookable except at check-in (or perhaps close to departure). Quite frustrating.
Ah you mean in the QR forum? Assuming so, I just caught up on it. Yes, VERY confusing. If I were to hazard a guess, it seems limited to revenue bookings made on QR's own website. If so, fine, but have that policy written down somewhere for crying out loud! I hate opaque airline policies.

Has ANYONE successfully redeemed AA miles for Q Suites and gotten middle seats before day of departure?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Gold
Just put an award on hold for JFK-DOH-BOM with JFK-DOH on QR 702 so I should hopefully have the QSuite. Two questions.

1) Can I get my Qatar PNR while the award is still on the 5 day hold?

2) If so, can I use that Qatar PNR to select a seat while the award is still on the 5 day hold?

I still have to wait a few days before I can commit to booking this trip, but per Expedia 10A and 10K are the only two windows left (not sure how accurate that is). I really want to get one of those window seats instead of 9B or 9J.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by arctann
Just put an award on hold for JFK-DOH-BOM with JFK-DOH on QR 702 so I should hopefully have the QSuite. Two questions.

1) Can I get my Qatar PNR while the award is still on the 5 day hold?

2) If so, can I use that Qatar PNR to select a seat while the award is still on the 5 day hold?

I still have to wait a few days before I can commit to booking this trip, but per Expedia 10A and 10K are the only two windows left (not sure how accurate that is). I really want to get one of those window seats instead of 9B or 9J.

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to call AA and get the QR PNR for an award that's on hold. However, whether you can select seats or not depends on QR. Some of AA's partner carriers allow this, while others won't let you do much of anything until the award is actually ticketed.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

i'm curious - what dates were you able to secure and coach or business?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:46 pm

Booking Directly on Qatar, Advice Needed RE: AA Miles

Mods, please feel free to merge if necessary.
This is my first time booking directly on a foreign carrier but the price is unbeatable. Traveling ATL-DPS in discounted biz, R coded fare. The questions is, will I receive EQM and EQD on AA for this flight? When booking, I was prompted to input my AA ff. I have it on a 24hr hold. It’s for travel in late June-early July. Many thanks, in advance.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

Award miles will be earned at 1 mile per mile flown
EQMs will be at 1.5 miles per mile flown
EQDs will be at 0.2 EQDs per mile flown

ATL-DOH-DPS is approximately 12,334 miles one way, so one way you should earn approx
12,334 award miles
2,466 EQDs
18,501 EQMs
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Just wondering how much was the fare?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
From https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

Award miles will be earned at 1 mile per mile flown
EQMs will be at 1.5 miles per mile flown
EQDs will be at 0.2 EQDs per mile flown

ATL-DOH-DPS is approximately 12,334 miles one way, so one way you should earn approx
12,334 award miles
2,466 EQDs
18,501 EQMs
Wonderful news, thank you!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by frebay
Just wondering how much was the fare?
Ha! It’s ~$3,600 directly booking with Qatar vs ~$11,600/$13,600 on AA via Cathay.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:34 pm

IAD - DOH availability

is there an award shortage for Qatar? I cannot find any availability on BA's site for for award availability in J from IAD to DOH from random dates throughout the year. I wanted to book 2 J seats for my brother via IAD-DOH-MLE. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: WP
Has anyone experienced mileage request for QR flights being denied? Flew QR last month and one segment was denied for mileage request with the reason being that segment was credited to QR frequent flyer program although I don't have a frequent flyer account with QR and my AAdvantage number is attached to the booking. Should I contact QR to get this mileage request corrected or AA?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by island82
Has anyone experienced mileage request for QR flights being denied? Flew QR last month and one segment was denied for mileage request with the reason being that segment was credited to QR frequent flyer program although I don't have a frequent flyer account with QR and my AAdvantage number is attached to the booking. Should I contact QR to get this mileage request corrected or AA?
That's certainly annoying. Contact AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) to get it fixed. Someone is not doing their homework on AA's end.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Any one have trouble getting exp desk to book awards departing post march 25 th on on QR.

i just off and the agent said they cannot book any QR tickets after March 25th even though they are OW patner.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by downluda
is there an award shortage for Qatar? I cannot find any availability on BA's site for for award availability in J from IAD to DOH from random dates throughout the year. I wanted to book 2 J seats for my brother via IAD-DOH-MLE. Thanks in advance!
Did you check random dates on different days of the week, or always the same days of the week?

Qatar has in the past often only made flights in J to/from the USA available for awards for Mon-Thu departures, never for Fri-Sun departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.