Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by grandgourmand

i don't know how married segments work. But i looked at the doh-ord availability. No connection. BA shows space...AA can't see it.
If you are travelling XXX-DOH-ORD , then there needs to be availability for DOH-ORD in conjunction with the XXX-DOH flight

When searching on BA for DOH-ORD, that will show availability for a journey that originates in Doha. If you are connecting in Doha from another flight, then there may not be availability

If you are trying to book , CMB-DOH-ORD , then there may well be no availability on DOH-ORD even though DOH-ORD is showing on BA.com

If trying to book just DOH-ORD , then maybe it is phantom availability
grandgourmand likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 28, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:41 pm

OK, so I've experienced two different but similar problems:

1) BA search engine showed DOH-ORD space in J...but the AA agent could not see the space.
2) BA search engine showed DOH-PHL space in J and the AA agent could see it...but couldn't book it.

This is annoying.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you trying to change an existing booking or just trying to make a new booking for a single sector itinerary for DOH-PHL

If changing a booking, what is the existing itinerary?

If trying to make a change to a booking with a connection, married sector availabilty would mean that an agent could see DOH-PHL but not be able to make a change
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
OK, so I've experienced two different but similar problems:

1) BA search engine showed DOH-ORD space in J...but the AA agent could not see the space.
2) BA search engine showed DOH-PHL space in J and the AA agent could see it...but couldn't book it.

This is annoying.
Do any other OW airline sites show that space in J that AA cannot see, or only BA?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you trying to change an existing booking or just trying to make a new booking for a single sector itinerary for DOH-PHL

If changing a booking, what is the existing itinerary?

If trying to make a change to a booking with a connection, married sector availabilty would mean that an agent could see DOH-PHL but not be able to make a change
This is for a new booking...i'll try again today, but not hopeful.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do any other OW airline sites show that space in J that AA cannot see, or only BA?
I have not looked at any other than BA.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:13 am

OK...just to close the loop on this one, I called back again. And the AA agent was able to see and book the DOH-PHL space.

So I asked if they could see and book CMB-DOH-PHL and it worked as well. (I know, this is currently a cheap flight in the premium fares forum but I have points to burn)...

My guess is that maybe it took a bit of time for the inventory to load. I was looking at 331 days out, which was Friday for the day I'm looking.

Still needs to get ticketed, but it's showing as pending in my AAdvantage account.

Very happy...it's a pretty convenient routing for me. I had looked at other options on EY, or go some other route via Asia...all were bad times and extra stops AND we had to split the team (we are 4).
Old May 2, 2018, 1:53 am

Does QR not release any close in availability? I'm trying to fly QSuites business class and checking for flights either from the US to DOH at the end of this month/beginning of June, or a flight from DOH back to the US on June 13 (note that they now have the new suites going into JFK, DC, and ORD now), and I'm seeing absolutely zero availability. What's nuts is that I was able to find several EY apartments in these date ranges (JFK to AUH and vice versa) and hold the one I wanted with AA on the first try with no issue. Should I keep periodically checking for newly released close-in inventory, or is it basically a lost cause? Not familiar enough with QR practices to gauge this, so any help would be appreciated.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
I too would like to know the answer to flyertalker9's question. I was able to book two Qsuites to DOH departing IAD in the first week of Aug without much of a challenge. It's the return leg from DOH to IAD in the 1st week of Sep that is proving to be an issue. No coach availability even.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mrwise
I too would like to know the answer to flyertalker9's question. I was able to book two Qsuites to DOH departing IAD in the first week of Aug without much of a challenge. It's the return leg from DOH to IAD in the 1st week of Sep that is proving to be an issue. No coach availability even.
When did you book the August leg? I have had a booking since 330 days out for beginning of July to DOH and end of July from DOH... American changed the schedule on both US connection legs to the point where it's impossible to fly the schedule... I have been checking routinely on BA's award search for any other Qatar options but I haven't seen anything on Qatar at all to/from the US for first or last week of July. Getting a bit concerned. I've checked JFK, IAD, ORD, DFW, PHL, BOS, etc.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
When did you book the August leg? I have had a booking since 330 days out for beginning of July to DOH and end of July from DOH... American changed the schedule on both US connection legs to the point where it's impossible to fly the schedule... I have been checking routinely on BA's award search for any other Qatar options but I haven't seen anything on Qatar at all to/from the US for first or last week of July. Getting a bit concerned. I've checked JFK, IAD, ORD, DFW, PHL, BOS, etc.
I booked the August leg last week, maybe 7-8 days ago. There were seats available for travel on Mon to Thurs for the first week of Aug, no problems booking. I would note that in my case, Aug is a slow period for outbound travel from the US to India, so maybe that's why I was able to book. My return from India to US is unfortunately the busy period, during the first week of school for kids in the US, so no luck yet I should note that I searched segment by segment, so my ultimate destination would not have impacted award availability.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mrwise
I booked the August leg last week, maybe 7-8 days ago. There were seats available for travel on Mon to Thurs for the first week of Aug, no problems booking. I would note that in my case, Aug is a slow period for outbound travel from the US to India, so maybe that's why I was able to book. My return from India to US is unfortunately the busy period, during the first week of school for kids in the US, so no luck yet I should note that I searched segment by segment, so my ultimate destination would not have impacted award availability.
I wonder if something is messed up on my end. I'm using British Airways search and I see no availability even in the first week of August. No Qatar flights are even showing up from JFK-DOH (not even through LHR on BA then on to DOH via Qatar which normally appears). Edit: Finally found something August 7th.... Now if I could just get anything to show up from any US airports my weeks :P
mrwise and curleydbr like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Is QR pulling off all first class availability? Tried CDG/BKK/CAN to DOH and cant find any
Old May 21, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starmie
Is QR pulling off all first class availability? Tried CDG/BKK/CAN to DOH and cant find any
Do these routes still have first class (do a dummy paid booking to find out)? They con't offer first class awards on planes that don't have first class.

Meanwhile, if that's not the issue, have you tried all days of the week? In the past, QR has only made some awards available on midweek days, not weekend days.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Do these routes still have first class (do a dummy paid booking to find out)? They con't offer first class awards on planes that don't have first class.

Meanwhile, if that's not the issue, have you tried all days of the week? In the past, QR has only made some awards available on midweek days, not weekend days.
Isn't QR F restricted to their A380 routes?
Old May 22, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Isn't QR F restricted to their A380 routes?
Now, yes. (There was regional F before action by the Gang of Five.) I have seen F availability on BKK; in fact I booked one the other day. It's rare, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.