Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Desirees
Is it just me? I mean, dont get me wrong - call center agents for each company can be a hit or a miss. But for me, Qatar consistently delivers on the miss. Agents are surly. They sound annoyed. They sound rushed. They dont let you finish explaining what is wrong before telling you what you are doing wrong.

Case in point - Each time I book an award ticket using AA miles - I cannot access the reservation on the Qatar side. It gives me this error. I then have to call Qatar so they do something and it is fixed. But in order to get it fixed - I have to go through multiple agents. And most of them try to tell me
a. I cant see the reservation because it is NOT a QR ticket.
b. I cant see it because it is an award ticket
c. I cant see it because my QR privilege number is wrong.
d. I have to call American to fix it.
And...FINALLY
I have to call their customer center in Doha to get this fixed - because no one in the call center can fix it. And, there are no toll free numbers, so I pay for the call.

So, I asked for a supervisor or someone who can help me. No supervisor is available.

I am sure there is something I need to be able to say for the agents to uderstand what needs to be fixed. Would love to see if I am the only one who runs into this specific issue. Thanks!
I would send a DM to QRSupport on twitter with your Qatar PNR ad the error text. It may take a while for them to respond. This is how I got the same issue fixed on one of my award flights. I have also seen posts here where AA had fixed it on their end.

https://twitter.com/qrsupport
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is it an award ticket booked using someone elses miles? if so, then it may be that with the other person's ff number in the booking, the QR system is detecting a mismatch and wont let you proceed

What error does it give you? are you using the QR booking reference or trying to use the AA one ?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is it an award ticket booked using someone elses miles? if so, then it may be that with the other person's ff number in the booking, the QR system is detecting a mismatch and wont let you proceed

What error does it give you? are you using the QR booking reference or trying to use the AA one ?
i am using the Qatar booking code. Error mgg is displayed on my post.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Desirees
i am using the Qatar booking code. Error mgg is displayed on my post.
It wasnt - it was a link from your post - I normally don't go to 3rd party links from the fora.

That message is one that would go definitely with the FF numbers in the booking being an issue. If you can convince a QR agent to remove the FF numbers despite it being an award booking, your problem will almost certainly be fixed - not an uncommon situation for an award booking

There is more than 1 FF number field
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Thank you for the info. I will call them tomorrow and ask them to remove my number.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EP
+1 (877) 777-2827

Originally Posted by desirees
thank you for the info. I will call them tomorrow and ask them to remove my number.
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:08 pm

Try DFW or IAH as Southwest has cheap flights from Miami. I'm in the process of booking flights to MLE on points and not hearing good things about Qatar...
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:19 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by danger
With respect to the third region exception, if I travel Europe-South Pacific via the Middle East, must I travel QR-QR or can it be IB/AY/BA-QR and still be priced as one award (subject to transiting only).
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It has to be a QR-QR connection to be priced as a single award
Can I add a domestic leg in Australia and it still price as one award e.g. Europe (QR) Middle East (QR) South Pacific (QF) South Pacific for 85k miles in business?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
Can I add a domestic leg in Australia and it still price as one award e.g. Europe (QR) Middle East (QR) South Pacific (QF) South Pacific for 85k miles in business?
generally yes
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I just canceled an AAdvantage miles booking PHL-DOH-MLE.

Do I have to call to get the miles redeposited?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:17 am

Yes.
Originally Posted by jeffers

Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:46 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I would send a DM to QRSupport on twitter with your Qatar PNR ad the error text. It may take a while for them to respond. This is how I got the same issue fixed on one of my award flights. I have also seen posts here where AA had fixed it on their end.

https://twitter.com/qrsupport
The same thing happened to me on a QR itinerary booked on aa.com (with AAdvantage miles). When AA transmitted the data to QR, someone else's AAdvantage number somehow was included. The QR twitter team sent me back to AA, and they were able to remove the incorrect AAdvantage number and solve the problem.

No one had a clue how the incorrect AAdvantage number was included.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by jeffers

Nope. Hit up the Twitter team and your miles will be back within the hour.
jeffers likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:05 am

I researched this. It isn’t an AAdvantage number, it is an internal code that designates the booking as an award booking. And I “think” it also is the inhibitor for mileage posting.

known issue. And that same internal number is also appended to IB reservations — and I am assuming all award reservations. But, it seems like IB’s (and others) systems can handle it the correct way.

If you go to RJ and enter the Amadeus PNR you will see the 2 FQTV fields. And if it hasn’t been fixed by QR you will see this number in the 1st field and ur AADV number in the second.

Originally Posted by herrina
The same thing happened to me on a QR itinerary booked on aa.com (with AAdvantage miles). When AA transmitted the data to QR, someone else's AAdvantage number somehow was included. The QR twitter team sent me back to AA, and they were able to remove the incorrect AAdvantage number and solve the problem.

No one had a clue how the incorrect AAdvantage number was included.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:01 pm

Qatar to U.A.E. - any thoughts as to when will it resume?

With the Qatar-U.A.E. embargo lifting, and flights on Air Arabia resuming between Qatar and the U.A.E., does anyone have any idea when Qatar Airways might resume service to DXB or AUH? I was hoping to travel to Dubai once the pandemic is over in Etihad's first-class apartments, but now that those are gone for the foreseeable future (if not for good), I'd love to use my miles to fly the Q-suites on the longer haul flight from the U.S. if routes from Doha to the U.A.E. resume.

It'll be nice to have other options than just Etihad, given how unreliable their award space can be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.