Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I have found the easiest way to reserve seats on QR is by looking up the reservation (using the QR PNR) on the RJ or MH websites
EqualOpp and seigex like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by njvandy
I have found the easiest way to reserve seats on QR is by looking up the reservation (using the QR PNR) on the RJ or MH websites
Thanks, I was just dealing with this and tried both Qantas and RJ, neither gave me the option, but MH's website does, I was finally able to book my seats.
njvandy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by njvandy
Have done this myself in the past. Don’t know why, but MH works.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TBRIC
Have done this myself in the past. Don’t know why, but MH works.
This worked for me. The Twitter team was telling me that I can’t reserve economy seats, even as a OWE. I was able to clear out the 2nd advantage number, but it is still popping on the Qatar site. Hopefully the Twitter team can fix that.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
This worked for me. The Twitter team was telling me that I can’t reserve economy seats, even as a OWE. I was able to clear out the 2nd advantage number, but it is still popping on the Qatar site. Hopefully the Twitter team can fix that.
I posted a work around the 2nd advantage number error here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33142813-post27.html

It's worked for both of my PNRs and I'm able to load the itineraries on QR's website. I still don't get a seat selection option, but at least I can get in to my booking.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:14 pm

Nevermind

Last edited by Treyzian; Apr 5, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:09 pm

Any help in finding 1-stop or 2-stop award travel with Qatar using American (business or economy) I'm looking for 3 tickets around end of June from DFW to MAA or BLR? and coming back for 4 people HYD/MAA to DFW during the first week of August. Searched few pages before this post and realized that I can do multi-city travel (search two legs separately and call them to book them together) but didn't quite get how it works. TIA. any help/pointers appreciated.

I tried looking DFW - DOH and DOH-MAA/BLR separately and noticed that award travel not available for the 2nd leg. Is that right?

Last edited by RJ5929; Apr 5, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by RJ5929
Any help in finding 1-stop or 2-stop award travel with Qatar using American (business or economy) I'm looking for 3 tickets around end of June from DFW to MAA or BLR? and coming back for 4 people HYD/MAA to DFW during the first week of August. Searched few pages before this post and realized that I can do multi-city travel (search two legs separately and call them to book them together) but didn't quite get how it works. TIA. any help/pointers appreciated.

I tried looking DFW - DOH and DOH-MAA/BLR separately and noticed that award travel not available for the 2nd leg. Is that right?
If you're flexible about airlines, I am seeing:

1 stop in Economy for 3 tickets DFW-HKG-MAA on June 30 (5 hour connection in HKG) 40K Miles and
$32.60 tax per ticket

2 stops in Economy for 4 tickets MAA-HKG-ORD-DFW on August 2,3 and 4 (roughly 2 hour connections
in HKG and ORD) 40K miles and $64.81 tax per ticket

In my experience, It's often difficult to find more than 2 award seats on the same flight, so the fact that
this is available for 3 passengers going and 4 returning is surprising. Also, Cathay Pacific, for HKG-MAA
and MAA-HKG-ORD, is an excellent airline and HKG is one of the best airports in the world.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Apr 5, 2021 at 7:29 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:04 am

Thanks. yes, I came across Cathay pacific and was wary about the extra travel time. But considering the lack of availability with Qatar, Cathay seems to be only option for me.

If I book Cathay travel with AA miles on economy, is there a option to upgrade to business class tickets either with American miles or cash? if yes, whom do I contact AA or cathay?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:58 am

Cathay has a bidding process to move up to the next class of service.

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/of...fic?lang=en_HK

I have never used it and have no idea how much you have to bid to be successful. In any event, that would only take you from Economy to Premium Economy and would likely be at the last minute, if it happens.

One option would be to get an Expert Flyer membership and set up "alerts" for Qatar Airways award seats in Business. Perhaps things are different during these Covid times, but in the past it would be pretty unlikely to get 3 or 4 award seats in Business on the same flights together, so if going in Business is the priority, you may have to split up and take separate flights.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Apr 6, 2021 at 10:36 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by RJ5929
Thanks. yes, I came across Cathay pacific and was wary about the extra travel time. But considering the lack of availability with Qatar, Cathay seems to be only option for me.

If I book Cathay travel with AA miles on economy, is there a option to upgrade to business class tickets either with American miles or cash? if yes, whom do I contact AA or cathay?
This thread ; India's air bubbles: is transit travel allowed - Page 22 - FlyerTalk Forums
Has information / experiences of what airlines are ok for travel to India (from USA, etc).

As of today's date - i do not think Cathay is an approved way to travel from USA to India.
Things can change by the date you fly. No one knows.

Rules are always changing. Best to have a back-up plan in case Cathay does not work out.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
This thread ; India's air bubbles: is transit travel allowed - Page 22 - FlyerTalk Forums
Has information / experiences of what airlines are ok for travel to India (from USA, etc).

As of today's date - i do not think Cathay is an approved way to travel from USA to India.
Things can change by the date you fly. No one knows.

Rules are always changing. Best to have a back-up plan in case Cathay does not work out.
thanks, never thought about this. I just assumed, booking tickets means travel will be allowed through that airlines. Thank you. Then my backup is British or cash ticket with Qatar. any suggestions, please?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
Cathay has a bidding process to move up to the next class of service.

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/of...fic?lang=en_HK

I have never used it and have no idea how much you have to bid to be successful. In any event, that would only take you from Economy to Premium Economy and would likely be at the last minute, if it happens.
Never knew about this option, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if Cathay would even allow this bidding process on an award ticket booked with AA. I would assume its for tickets purchased directly with them, but I might be wrong. (Most likely not the right place to ask this in the Qatar thread.)

You can book Cathay business directly with AA miles if available. I haven't checked lately but they used to have very good J availability.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 5:02 pm

Is it possible to book something like LAX-IST on QR? Seems that LAX-DOH and DOH-IST J are available but QR never shows up when booked all the way through. I'm trying to get away from flying AA's less than stellar service across the pond and have yet to experience QSuites.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seigex
Is it possible to book something like LAX-IST on QR? Seems that LAX-DOH and DOH-IST J are available but QR never shows up when booked all the way through. I'm trying to get away from flying AA's less than stellar service across the pond and have yet to experience QSuites.
You would probably need to search for both separately and then call and hope that there is no married segment availability issue

It is 43% further to travel that way plus will cost 70,000 in business from LAX-DOH plus 42,500 for DOH-IST ( total 112,500 ) vs 57,500 LAX-LHR-IST
seigex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.