Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:43 am

Another question on QR accommodation. Holding a flight in July which routes DOH-LHR-USA. Currently DOH-LHR is banned by the UK through mid-May, and will possibly keep rolling.

What's QR's accommodation policy if the DOH-LHR flight eventually gets canceled? Would they be good about putting me on a DOH-USA flight at that point, or only if award space is available?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by dave_261
Another question on QR accommodation. Holding a flight in July which routes DOH-LHR-USA. Currently DOH-LHR is banned by the UK through mid-May, and will possibly keep rolling.

What's QR's accommodation policy if the DOH-LHR flight eventually gets canceled? Would they be good about putting me on a DOH-USA flight at that point, or only if award space is available?
QR policy does not apply to tickets issued on AA stock. You'd have to contact AAdvantage.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

No different than any other schedule change really. If your DOH-LHR gets cancelled, and there were other DOH-LHR flights you could be rebooked on, then I could see QR maybe working with AA in opening up space on one of those. But I cannot imagine QR opening up space on a DOH-USA flight just because they cancelled a DOH-LHR flight booked as an award through AA.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:33 am

So this may have been covered previously but I'll ask again...

If I'm holding (as example) JFK-DOH-XYZ for a 70k business class flight, and ATL-DOH segment opens up for the same business price, BUT DOH-XYZ is no longer available, can AA simply swap out the first segment so the new flight would be ATL-DOH-XYZ?

I have that situation right now and AA agent is telling me she can't make the change since the whole routing isn't available, but I always thought with QR they could book it piece-by-piece.

Thanks.

ETA: Found this from JJeffrey from last summer:
The same rules apply for QR awards as every other carrier with regards to married segments and changing awards.

That is, if the CMB-DOH-USA segments were originally booked as married segments then you (most likely) will not be able to change just one segment without availability on all segments.

But if your flights were not booked as married segments originally, then it should be no problem to change MLE-CMB-DOH to MLE-DOH without affecting your existing DOH-USA segment (or needing availability on that one). In this scenario if you happen to get an agent that insists you need availabity on everything in order to change a segment just HUCA.

Last edited by dave_261; May 11, 2021 at 5:59 am
Old May 11, 2021, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this may have been covered previously but I'll ask again...

If I'm holding (as example) JFK-DOH-XYZ for a 70k business class flight, and ATL-DOH segment opens up for the same business price, BUT DOH-XYZ is no longer available, can AA simply swap out the first segment so the new flight would be ATL-DOH-XYZ?

I have that situation right now and AA agent is telling me she can't make the change since the whole routing isn't available, but I always thought with QR they could book it piece-by-piece.
It depends. If your JFK-DOH-XYZ was originally booked as married segments then an agent will not be able to change the JFK-DOH to ATL-DOH. If however your JFK-DOH-XYZ was originally available individually (not married), and ATL-DOH is also available individually, then an agent should be able to make that change.

The problem these days is that many agents get this confused and/or just don't understand the married segment rules, and some insist that the whole itinerary needs to be available to make a change even if married segments are not in play. I would HUCA at least 2 or 3 times before coming to any conclusions.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It depends. If your JFK-DOH-XYZ was originally booked as married segments then an agent will not be able to change the JFK-DOH to ATL-DOH. If however your JFK-DOH-XYZ was originally available individually (not married), and ATL-DOH is also available individually, then an agent should be able to make that change.

The problem these days is that many agents get this confused and/or just don't understand the married segment rules, and some insist that the whole itinerary needs to be available to make a change even if married segments are not in play. I would HUCA at least 2 or 3 times before coming to any conclusions.
HUCA worked like a charm... Agent was able to swap out the first segment USA-DOH. Not only that, but I had an agent who knew how to force the domestic segments in to complete the journey, as opposed to saying 'sorry, no domestic saver awards available'.
JJeffrey, renila and hurnik like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 11:55 am

Using AAdvantage miles to book Qatar Business Class IAH-MLE

I was looking toward the end of last year on this route finding quite a bit of availability on the IAH-DOH-MLE route in business on Qatar for 140-160K miles. I am planning a trip for early 2022, and cannot find ANY business class availability. Lots of main cabin availability. I checked from present to EOS with no availability. Is it ever coming back?? I also checked from DFW instead of IAH with the same results.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:27 pm

There's a whole thread on QR awards which this will get moved to.

Short answer... yes, they do exist. Two steps you need to take:
1) Don't just look at IAH. Look at all of the gateaways (IAH, DFW, ORD, JFK, PHL, BOS, IAD, MIA, ATL... and even SFO, SEA, LAX and YUL).
2) Don't look at the entire trip at once. Look segment-by-segment (i.e. IAH-DOH... then DOH-MLE).

Just for fun, I spent 30 seconds picking a random date in January, for 2pax from IAH-DOH... looks like you can find 70k business class on IAH-DOH, DFW-DOH, ORD-DOH, LAX-DOH and PHL-DOH.

You may need to take the voluntary downgrade for the DOH-MLE if not currently available, and then check daily to see if/when it opens up.
JJeffrey and brodielayne like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
There's a whole thread on QR awards which this will get moved to.

Short answer... yes, they do exist. Two steps you need to take:
1) Don't just look at IAH. Look at all of the gateaways (IAH, DFW, ORD, JFK, PHL, BOS, IAD, MIA, ATL... and even SFO, SEA, LAX and YUL).
2) Don't look at the entire trip at once. Look segment-by-segment (i.e. IAH-DOH... then DOH-MLE).

Just for fun, I spent 30 seconds picking a random date in January, for 2pax from IAH-DOH... looks like you can find 70k business class on IAH-DOH, DFW-DOH, ORD-DOH, LAX-DOH and PHL-DOH.

You may need to take the voluntary downgrade for the DOH-MLE if not currently available, and then check daily to see if/when it opens up.
The issue now a days is that you can no longer piece together your own segments so if you don't normally fly out of those locations you need to now by a ticket from your home to those places. Of course AA has informed the public that this is for our benefit.....
Old May 20, 2021, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
The issue now a days is that you can no longer piece together your own segments .....
Is this a recent change? In March 2021 I placed SFO-DOH on hold and had a phone agent add LAX-SFO and DOH-MLE for the same award cost.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by 22calbr
Is this a recent change? In March 2021 I placed SFO-DOH on hold and had a phone agent add LAX-SFO and DOH-MLE for the same award cost.
I was told you can’t do it anymore. There are other posts and threads saying you can’t either. If you can that’s great news because it’s hard finding space for HNL-MLE any time of the year.
Old May 21, 2021, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told you can’t do it anymore. There are other posts and threads saying you can’t either. If you can that’s great news because it’s hard finding space for HNL-MLE any time of the year.
Who told you that and can you point us to these threads?

Ever since AA and partners started implementing married segment award availability a few years ago there's certainly been confusion on what is and isn't possible with regards to changing award flights and adding segments (confusion from both customers and AA agents).

But, AFAIK, there's been no policy change, see my post above #1565 for what is happening in 99% of these cases.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Who told you that and can you point us to these threads?

Ever since AA and partners started implementing married segment award availability a few years ago there's certainly been confusion on what is and isn't possible with regards to changing award flights and adding segments (confusion from both customers and AA agents).

But, AFAIK, there's been no policy change, see my post above #1565 for what is happening in 99% of these cases.
This is correct. I was recently able to book by putting the long haul segment in J on hold online and calling to add the short haul in Y. Priced at the same amount of points.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
If you can that’s great news because it’s hard finding space for HNL-MLE any time of the year.
Paradise to Paradise!
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
This is correct. I was recently able to book by putting the long haul segment in J on hold online and calling to add the short haul in Y. Priced at the same amount of points.
Do you know if I am able to do this for more than one leg? I just want to make sure I understand it correctly before I call AA up and don't know what I'm talking about. Planning on putting the CONUS to DOH on hold and then adding a DOH-MLE segment that I find as well as HNL- to my CONUS departure. That should still be all good aslong as I have them all identified for the CSR to find?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.