Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

going to Warsaw.

But it I have another question. Let’s saw I book the anytime award and 5 months from now I get an alert there is a saver award somewhere close. If I swap them out, assuming I can. Do I get the difference in points back and dinged for the change? I will likely be PP by then. Have a ton of work travel coming up early next year.

TIA
How are you looking at an AAnytime award to Warsaw? These are only valid on AA metal. In any case, it would be silly to book an AAnytime award to anywhere 5 months out unless the flight is close to selling out (at which point the probability of sAAver seats getting released would be close to zero). AAnytime awards will be available as long as there is a single seat for sale so it rarely if ever makes any sense to book one that far out.

If you found sAAver space to MUC on your dates, I would for sure put that on hold. Then search aa.com separately for MUC-WAW. It's a little out of the way but you should be able to add MUC-HEL-WAW or MUC-LHR-WAW onto your award for no additional miles, and everything on the same ticket. Call AA with whatever you find and have them add it onto your existing award on hold to MUC.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
How are you looking at an AAnytime award to Warsaw? These are only valid on AA metal. In any case, it would be silly to book an AAnytime award to anywhere 5 months out unless the flight is close to selling out (at which point the probability of sAAver seats getting released would be close to zero). AAnytime awards will be available as long as there is a single seat for sale so it rarely if ever makes any sense to book one that far out.

If you found sAAver space to MUC on your dates, I would for sure put that on hold. Then search aa.com separately for MUC-WAW. It's a little out of the way but you should be able to add MUC-HEL-WAW or MUC-LHR-WAW onto your award for no additional miles, and everything on the same ticket. Call AA with whatever you find and have them add it onto your existing award on hold to MUC.
You have no idea how much I appreciate the help!
Im not booking it to Warsaw. Everything that used BA metal had 3K worth of charges. So I’m looking at AA anytime to MUC then hop to WAW.

I appreciate the the advice about adding it on later. However I notice that even anytime awards vary from 110 - 180 K . Which was why I asked if I would get points back if I booked one of the 110K itinerary. And then found a saver award at a later date. .
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

You have no idea how much I appreciate the help!
Im not booking it to Warsaw. Everything that used BA metal had 3K worth of charges. So I’m looking at AA anytime to MUC then hop to WAW.

I appreciate the the advice about adding it on later. However I notice that even anytime awards vary from 110 - 180 K . Which was why I asked if I would get points back if I booked one of the 110K itinerary. And then found a saver award at a later date. .
Yikes, I thought the award to MUC was a sAAver. Scratch everything I said about adding on add'l segments on AY or BA then. AAnytime awards are such a bad deal that there's not a lot of action on them around here, however typically once the date is set at 110k it will not change. So again it makes no sense to book an AAnytime months in advance unless the flight is almost sold out.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yikes, I thought the award to MUC was a sAAver. Scratch everything I said about adding on add'l segments on AY or BA then. AAnytime awards are such a bad deal that there's not a lot of action on them around here, however typically once the date is set at 110k it will not change. So again it makes no sense to book an AAnytime months in advance unless the flight is almost sold out.
I get it, but I had a saver on hold, but it was BA metal so 3K in jacked up fees. I’ll just be patient, and put some alerts for awards on EF...
Thanks for the time and effort to school me.

Last edited by SJWarrior; Dec 5, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

I was looking at the 788 since I never flew one and it’s the Airbus 322 coming back.

No AA metal to Poland
If you pick a destination where the logical routing is on BA, you're going to see BA award offerings on AAdvantage. AA doesn't fly to WAW. Iberia doesn't, either. AY does from HEL but there isn't much service USA-HEL (and it's not on AA metal). Sure, there are AA-operated flights on many routes USA-LHR but those get gobbled up quickly by people (just like you) looking to avoid the BA surcharges.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
AA flies to TXL. You can get direct trains to WAW from the main Berlin train station. Takes anywhere from 6:15 to 6:45 each way and the fare is at most 80 EUR (2nd class) to 120 EUR (1st class) round trip. I think there are something like 4 trains a day.

Last edited by cheltzel; Dec 6, 2018 at 5:36 am
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
AA flies to TXL.
AA also flies from PHL to PRG, which is the same distance from WAW as the crow flies (although train travel looks like it takes 8+ hours). As with TXL, it's seasonal, but in 2019 TXL service doesn't open up until June; PRG starts no later than May.

SAAver awards in J can actually be had on this route. I've got one for next spring.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended

Thanks I’ll check both those options
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
AA also flies from PHL to PRG, which is the same distance from WAW as the crow flies (although train travel looks like it takes 8+ hours). As with TXL, it's seasonal, but in 2019 TXL service doesn't open up until June; PRG starts no later than May.

SAAver awards in J can actually be had on this route. I've got one for next spring.
I think the options between BUD and PRG to WAW are bus or bus & train. The Berlin-Warsaw train is non-stop (Inter City and not the real high speed trains). But if you go 1st class (a little cheaper than the LO Y airfare) the seats are comfy and the food is decent.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:10 am

I think the options between BUD and PRG to WAW are bus or bus & train. The Berlin-Warsaw train is non-stop (Inter City and not the real high speed trains). But if you go 1st class (a little cheaper than the LO Y airfare) the seats are comfy and the food is decent.
There appears to be a direct Czech Railways train 1x/day, plus assorted connecting options.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with Berlin. But if the questioner above wants to travel before June 2019, or there’s no award availability to TXL on desired dates, it’s good to consider alternatives.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by beltway
There appears to be a direct Czech Railways train 1x/day, plus assorted connecting options.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with Berlin. But if the questioner above wants to travel before June 2019, or there’s no award availability to TXL on desired dates, it’s good to consider alternatives.
I see the train you are talking about on the Czech Railways site. Looks like a classic EuroCity train so probably very similar to the DB train I mentioned.

AA is seasonal to PRG too. Starts a little earlier (May as opposed to June). Maybe better to try to get IB awards to PRG via MAD. Or AY awards out of JFK to WAW (JFK-HEL-WAW). I don't know what the OP is interested in. AY awards seem to be only in Y where IB has C and Y awards available.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Looks like a classic EuroCity train so probably very similar to the DB train I mentioned.
I've recently traveled on both the DB and CD EuroCity trains. They don't compare. The German trains are newer and more comfortable. The Czech trains seem to date back to the Communist era.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM...SPG PM
I am new to the AA board. I am trying to book a saver ticket from NYC to EZE in J. There is availability only out of EWR and at 1230 connecting in miami. The conection flight available is either at 730 or 1045p. They are both showing available. I want to take the 530p departure out of EWR to MIA and connect to the 1045p to EZE. I am really confused because the 2 flights that I want are available but on different itinerary's.

AA 1060 12:30 PM EWR 3:36 PM MIA
AA 931 10:45 PM MIA 9:49 AM EZE

OR

AA 1506 0536 PM EWR 850 PM MIA
23 HOUR CONNECTION
AA 907 0755 PM MIA 0653 AM EZE

Any suggestions how to get flight 1506 and 931... This is all on the 12DEC.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Rappyinfla
I am new to the AA board. I am trying to book a saver ticket from NYC to EZE in J. There is availability only out of EWR and at 1230 connecting in miami. The conection flight available is either at 730 or 1045p. They are both showing available. I want to take the 530p departure out of EWR to MIA and connect to the 1045p to EZE. I am really confused because the 2 flights that I want are available but on different itinerary's.

AA 1060 12:30 PM EWR 3:36 PM MIA
AA 931 10:45 PM MIA 9:49 AM EZE

OR

AA 1506 0536 PM EWR 850 PM MIA
23 HOUR CONNECTION
AA 907 0755 PM MIA 0653 AM EZE

Any suggestions how to get flight 1506 and 931... This is all on the 12DEC.

Thanks in advance for the help
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 1506 and 931 are available together. If you search for them individually, neither flight is available. This looks like a married segments issue, i.e., certain flights are only available when paired with certain other flights. In this case, 1060 and 931 are available (as is 1060 and 907), but not 1506 and 931. If both of them were available individually, I might suggest booking them using a multi-city search and calling in to see if an agent can price it as one award. But that doesn't look like a possibility in this case. There are many reports that married segments has become more common with AA awards recently.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:21 pm
Suspended

I see the train you are talking about on the Czech Railways site. Looks like a classic EuroCity train so probably very similar to the DB train I mentioned.

AA is seasonal to PRG too. Starts a little earlier (May as opposed to June). Maybe better to try to get IB awards to PRG via MAD. Or AY awards out of JFK to WAW (JFK-HEL-WAW). I don't know what the OP is interested in. AY awards seem to be only in Y where IB has C and Y awards available.
Actually, going into Germany, Czech, Helsinki, for a day or two and then onto WAW. Would be fine. Any routing but I’m looking for BIZ saver. Anything to avoid the BAsurcharges, would be wonderful. I’ll keep playing on EF. It’s a big learning curve for me, but it’s better than playing out in the cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.