Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:53 pm

When will partner airlines availability show up in award calendar?

I'm looking to book an award ORD-KTM-ORD late next October or so. Oct 29 is 331 days out and I see domestic AA awards available that day for other routes. But to get me to KTM (or even close), the cut off currently seems to be 313 days. I can see award seats on QR And CX using the BA site. So when will AA start loading them? Is there any rule that AA generally follows for adding partner availability to their calendar?

On a related note, what do you think my odds of getting a ORD-DOH-KTM business seat are if I wait until after Jan. 1? I'm sort of flexible on my dates late Oct to early Nov. If I wait until Jan. 1, my 10000 mile discount for having the Citi card resets.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by physics
I'm looking to book an award ORD-KTM-ORD late next October or so. Oct 29 is 331 days out and I see domestic AA awards available that day for other routes. But to get me to KTM (or even close), the cut off currently seems to be 313 days. I can see award seats on QR And CX using the BA site. So when will AA start loading them? Is there any rule that AA generally follows for adding partner availability to their calendar?

On a related note, what do you think my odds of getting a ORD-DOH-KTM business seat are if I wait until after Jan. 1? I'm sort of flexible on my dates late Oct to early Nov. If I wait until Jan. 1, my 10000 mile discount for having the Citi card resets.
There's no set rule for when partner space will appear to AA, sometimes it happens right at 331 and other times not. Just keep an eye on it, it will pop in there at some point.

And you shouldn't have any problem if you want to wait to Jan to book it. Award space on QR is generally pretty good, especially if you're flexible on dates (you are) and can fly midweek.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I’ve spent quite a few hours using brute force to find saver awards from mia pbi fll + most all other airports including ord clt jfk bos iad trying to get to Europe on saver J or awards for mid September. Every Tatl uses BA that then includes enough taxes to equal nearly 50% of the cash price. Mind you none of the flights showed up on BA search, because they included AA for the domestic portion??

Will they likely ever ever release saver awards on AA metal for the long haul leg? I see no flight on AA metal for that leg.

Am I doing something wrong?

Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
I’ve spent quite a few hours using brute force to find saver awards from mia pbi fll + most all other airports including ord clt jfk bos iad trying to get to Europe on saver J or awards for mid September. Every Tatl uses BA that then includes enough taxes to equal nearly 50% of the cash price. Mind you none of the flights showed up on BA search, because they included AA for the domestic portion??

Will they likely ever ever release saver awards on AA metal for the long haul leg? I see no flight on AA metal for that leg.

No, you're probably not doing anything wrong. AA is pretty stingy when it comes to releasing Saver award space on its own flights. One way to more quickly filter out the BA options is to (1) search only on AA flights, (2) search with specific nonstop city pairs in mind and then filter on nonstop flights only. The second option works well when you have a particular partner in mind, like MIA-MAD on IB or JFK-HEL on AY.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your issue is that you're looking too far in advance unfortunately. AA will release scattered seats when the booking window opens around 11 months out, but when these are gone you're not likely to see a lot of new availability till much closer to the flight date. There's a general "dead zone" for extra TATL sAAver award space between about 10 months out to 1-2 months before.

The good news is that Europe travel tanks in September, if you can be flexible on days and destinations then it's highly likely you'll be able to find something, but again this most likely won't happen till much later next year. But AA does sometimes release chunks of seemingly random sAAver space at random times, best to just keep an eye on it, set up alerts on EF, etc. Good luck!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
One way to more quickly filter out the BA options is to (1) search only on AA flights, (2) search with specific nonstop city pairs in mind and then filter on nonstop flights only. The second option works well when you have a particular partner in mind, like MIA-MAD on IB or JFK-HEL on AY.
I agree with both suggestions, especially the first.

For the record, it is objectively nuts that AA forces you to jump through these hoops instead of, say, letting you refine search results after the fact by including/excluding certain carriers. (They have check-boxes allowing you to deselect airports, but not carriers.)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I’ve spent quite a few hours using brute force to find saver awards from mia pbi fll + most all other airports including ord clt jfk bos iad trying to get to Europe on saver J or awards for mid September.
Where in Europe are you trying to go? Is it served by AA metal? Other carriers searched by AA.com?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by beltway
I agree with both suggestions, especially the first.

For the record, it is objectively nuts that AA forces you to jump through these hoops instead of, say, letting you refine search results after the fact by including/excluding certain carriers. (They have check-boxes allowing you to deselect airports, but not carriers.)
See attached image. Is that what you mean? AA lets you exclude BA if you want. (It would be better if you could exclude BA transatlantic only, but this is better than nothing.)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rrgg
See attached image. Is that what you mean? AA lets you exclude BA if you want. (It would be better if you could exclude BA transatlantic only, but this is better than nothing.)
While those filter options appear once you select a date, I'm talking about the calendar view. Arguably the advantage of searching using AA (as opposed to BA, for example) is that you can quickly scan the calendar and see which dates have availability (although annoyingly most of that availability turns out to be BA). If I had to click on each individual date and then filter, I'd rather just search using some other award engine that will show me all the Oneworld availability.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Where in Europe are you trying to go? Is it served by AA metal? Other carriers searched by AA.com?
yes it’s served by AA metal but the trans Atlantic segments are on miles saver J in BA.

the taxes are to where the point is it’s cheaper to buy extra AA miles and Use anytime awards than the taxes. And I’ve heard AA metal beats BA? Yes or no?

So so I may do that since miles on sale.

my question is, I bought EF (it’s worth the subscription IMO easily) and And I found anytime biz awards to Munich through DFW. So, if I do that, how dangerous is it to nest a round trip inside of that in Say LH. For the trip using cash?

Spend a day in Munich on the way in and then come back a day early and maybe spend another day afternoon in Munich before I fly back to US.

Or or is that nuts?

Thank you you for all the responses, I appreciate them and they helped a lot.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:05 am

I'd say it's fine and have done the same. It's also normal to ticket an open jaw for example and have to get to the gateway city on your own. I like AA metal unless you end up with an old 763 with angled seats. Plus it's probably easier to deal with MUC.

(EDITED: I forgot there are no angled seats left, so this is no longer an issue.)

Last edited by rrgg; Dec 25, 2018 at 9:51 am
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrgg
I'd say it's fine and have done the same. It's also normal to ticket an open jaw for example and have to get to the gateway city on your own. I like AA metal unless you end up with an old 763 with angled seats. Plus it's probably easier to deal with MUC.
I was looking at the 788 since I never flew one and it’s the Airbus 322 coming back.

No AA metal to Poland
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my question is, I bought EF (it’s worth the subscription IMO easily) and And I found anytime biz awards to Munich through DFW. So, if I do that, how dangerous is it to nest a round trip inside of that in Say LH. For the trip using cash?

Spend a day in Munich on the way in and then come back a day early and maybe spend another day afternoon in Munich before I fly back to US.

Or or is that nuts?

Thank you you for all the responses, I appreciate them and they helped a lot.
That's not nuts at all and is the game you have to play oftentimes now to get the seats/dates you want. No problems whatsoever with flying into MUC then booking a separate ticket on LH, especially if you want to spend a day in MUC on the way there and back in between your LH flights.

Where is your final destination in Europe? You have up to 24 hrs to connect so it may be possible to add on connecting flights for no extra miles even if these options don't easily display at aa.com (as opposed to buying a separate LH ticket).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
While those filter options appear once you select a date, I'm talking about the calendar view.
Bingo.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That's not nuts at all and is the game you have to play oftentimes now to get the seats/dates you want. No problems whatsoever with flying into MUC then booking a separate ticket on LH, especially if you want to spend a day in MUC on the way there and back in between your LH flights.

Where is your final destination in Europe? You have up to 24 hrs to connect so it may be possible to add on connecting flights for no extra miles even if these options don't easily display at aa.com (as opposed to buying a separate LH ticket).
going to Warsaw.

But it I have another question. Let’s saw I book the anytime award and 5 months from now I get an alert there is a saver award somewhere close. If I swap them out, assuming I can. Do I get the difference in points back and dinged for the change? I will likely be PP by then. Have a ton of work travel coming up early next year.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.