Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Boeing 737-823 airframes are currently configured 16F, 144Y (including 30 MCE), but a Cabin refit has begun.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Business / First cabins use 16 seats like those found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. Lavatories are ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion has begun we have started a new thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912327-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-oasis-reconfigured-first-business-seat.html for Business / First (A319 Seat with reduced pitch and recline) seating in the new Project Oasis

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

Pre-Oasis 737-800 / 738 First / Business Cabin Seating

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens. N939NN and N941NN and others delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus 5 VDC USB seat power.

Please refer to the (unofficial) AA 737-800 Fleet Page Link for 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by DZONELB
It depends on time of day. Most of my 90% of my miles were LAX-JFK. Dinner service has the cart with your choices of toppings, lunch has the catering ice cream that has the sauce that has melted all the way to the bottom. If you are in a breakfast flight or late night flight there is no ice cream in either class. They have the full ice cream cart service on 757 LAX-HNL.
Thanks. I like both so I guess I'm in good shape (no pun intended) ^
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1.6 MM
Originally Posted by demkr
It was very odd. $79 in H , but $300+ in Q/O. Fare offering appears to be gone now.
Hey demkr,
am new to the site, how do you search for MR quotes or any code specific fare? I book all my trips through aa.com and see some reservation codes, but as far as i know one can't specify a code, can we?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I am unsure myself, I have seen folks on here do searches on some programs for fare basis codes and what embargo dates are etc. But most of the MRs I have found are either from just coincidental searches for specific R/T's or word of mouth on here. I have found that AA tends to match some of JetBlue's deals when they do their "Cheeps" - usually BOS/SFO-LAX or JFK/SFO-LAX . Competition has helped so much for these transcontinental routes!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1.6 MM
I am unsure myself, I have seen folks on here do searches on some programs for fare basis codes and what embargo dates are etc. But most of the MRs I have found are either from just coincidental searches for specific R/T's or word of mouth on here. I have found that AA tends to match some of JetBlue's deals when they do their "Cheeps" - usually BOS/SFO-LAX or JFK/SFO-LAX . Competition has helped so much for these transcontinental routes!
thank much, will keep an eye out then. I do prefer flying the 767 over the 757, though am curious to see the 738. I hate that AA stop flying 763 LAX-HNL and now only fly the tired 757 with the old F seats with no head rest, but things can be worst, i could be in coach
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:17 pm

The 738 is a beautiful plane, but if I am in J or F, I prefer the extra space for a transcontinental flight. Do my best to avoid 757 on transcons (i.e. via BOS) at all costs
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
my order of domestic preference

738 - New
738 - Old
S80
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Handheld PEDs (the ARCHOS devices) are now offered in all premium cabins on nonstop transcons, on most aircraft types.
Unless there has been a very recent change, this is not accurate. They're offered on any of the 767 JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX flights and are in trial on the BOS transcons. The limited number of flights you list all fall into the above categories. The many other 757/737 transcons do not receive them, in my recent experiences at least.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Zeffer
Now that EWR has lost the 3-class 762 service to LAX, what's first class on the 738 like? Obviously the seats aren't as nice as on the 762 but is the service still "flagship", or just regular domestic first?

With a fare sale, I suspect it's still worth paying $109 for J on the 762 out of JFK than $79 for F on the 738 (assuming my upgrade clears, which it almost always does)
EWR-LAX has the equivalent of the Flagship transcon J service, minus the individual IFE w/ Bose headsets. For dinner you will receive menus, you'll be served the salad and appetizer together, with a choice of salad dressing, three types of bread to choose from, two entrée choices, made to order sundae/cheese plate, Ghirardelli chocolates, cookie, and sparkling water prior to landing. You can also request Dine Upon Request.

You'll also get champagne as part of the PDB service and a water bottle after the dinner service.

Last edited by sukn; Jan 14, 2010 at 1:35 am
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
The MR that I booked LAX-EWR was in H inventory, (no change fee) so I went ahead and changed the return leg to JFK. (Intentionally booked EWR-ORD-LAX on the way out to meet a friend.) For all the money it would cost me nowadays to get from Manhattan to Newark, $18 extra bucks for the ticket + the 762 is not a bad deal.

However, I'm surprised to hear that J does not get sundaes on 762 lunch flights? I believe I've gotten them before, so I want to know if something's changed. That's my favorite part of the service, of course!
I think you will get a premade sundae, as opposed to the sundae cart, on the lunch flights. The premade all have the lovely fruit flavored ice on the bottom of the glass.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:00 am

is this aircraft from EWR-LAX always the new 738? Are the new ones the only ones that can do transcons?

Also, anyone know when the Wifi is expected on them?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MilesToGoBeforeISleep
is this aircraft from EWR-LAX always the new 738? Are the new ones the only ones that can do transcons?
No. All AA 738s are able to fly transcons and have flown them since 1999; expect a mix of old and new no matter the route.

Dunno.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: Various
There was a report that the most recently delivered a/c "could" have the equipment already installed, but they're waiting for certification to be used/turned on. Hopefully we'll hear something in the coming weeks.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
First Class: LAX-EWR on a 738 v LAX-JFK on a 762

Hi All,

I have the option of travelling transcon in First class, LAX-EWR. Is this the standard horrible domestic "First" class seats and service?

Can I assume it will be nowhere near as good as the flagship suites on the LAX-JFK route?

Thanks,
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct, except that there are no Flagship Suites on JFK-LAX. 762s feature the old 763 lay-flat "coffins" without the hard shell surround and do not go completely flat. They are, IMO, the best transcon option other than the Flagship Suites on the MIA-LAX 777.

Take the 762 in F from JFK.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I agree with FWAAA, the 762 product is better. However, it is a 3-class bird, and business on the 762 is often priced similarly to first on domestic 2-class flights (like LAX-EWR). As such, you may pay a price premium for sitting in first on a 3-class flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.