Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information
Print Wikipost

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mec72
I'm trying to book HKG-NAN on FJ but there seems to be an error (I'm checking availability on alaskaair.com -there is plenty for LAX-NAN but an error when I try to search for HKG).

Are all FJ flights bookable with AA miles or just those which are code-shared with AA (like LAX, HNL, etc.)?
All FJ flights should be bookable (if there's availability) with AAdvantage miles.

BTW, members, FJ just added an A330-300 to the existing fleet of three A330-200s. The -300 will frequently be on LAX-NAN, occasionally HKG. J remains the same at 24, but Y adds 40 seats. More in wiki, now updated, including links to germane FT threads and off site resources. FJ has added baggage capacity for J flyers as well. FJ / Fiji Airways adds A330-300, ups J bag limits Dec 2015 - configuration notes
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just as an update, I called AA and was told that HKG-NAN is not bookable using AA miles (i.e. not a matter of availability - just cannot be booked).

I've gone back to the AA website and that seems correct:

Regions

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Fiji Airways within:

Fiji

South Pacific

And between:

Australia

Canada

Japan

New Zealand

U.S
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Seat Selection

So did you have any luck getting seat assignments?

Originally Posted by esls79
I have a confirmed AAdvantage award a one way NAN to LAX on May 30, 2016. I have an AA record locator and called FJ and they informed me I cannot select me seats ahead of check in without the FJ information- is this new or a standard operating procedure?

I then got the FJ record locator and called back up and they still cannot do advance seat assignments on non FJ booked tickets as of October 31, 2015 I was informed.

Is there any hope for an advance seat selection or am i out of luck on this one?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:28 pm

Much to my dismay I couldn't find any business class availability from LAX-MEL for middle of May. Called into AA and was able to get this sweet all-business itinerary for the same amount of miles (62.5k) one way!

LAX-NAN @ Fiji Air
NAN-SYD @ Fiji Air
SYD-MEL @ Qantas

Hope this helps anyone
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:27 am

FJ award bookings are down!?

I tried to book SYD-NAN (last segment of an award ex Europe) in J for 2 yesterday, but it seems AA is having issues with pulling up availability on FJ. Availability in Expertflyer is wide open and in the past I already experienced that this availability is accurate and does comply with what AA can see.

The agent went off the phone for a few minutes because she was also trying some dummy routings in a 3 months window, and she was wasn't able to see any seat. When she got back to me, she mentioned an internal note that since March 15 there was an issue with the system for FJ. She asked me to call back, hoping that the glitch would have been fixed in the next days (I am on a deadline like most of us ).

Was anybody able to book FJ in the last days? It would suprise me that I would be the only FT member who is trying to book FJ, given the major increase for South-Pacific routings from North America/Europe.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I found the same issue with FJ but by calling the AA folks in Australia, they were able to book award seats for me.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by flyupfront
I found the same issue with FJ but by calling the AA folks in Australia, they were able to book award seats for me.
Thanks! Will call Australia instead!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Epicura
I tried to book SYD-NAN (last segment of an award ex Europe) in J for 2 yesterday, but it seems AA is having issues with pulling up availability on FJ. Availability in Expertflyer is wide open and in the past I already experienced that this availability is accurate and does comply with what AA can see.

The agent went off the phone for a few minutes because she was also trying some dummy routings in a 3 months window, and she was wasn't able to see any seat. When she got back to me, she mentioned an internal note that since March 15 there was an issue with the system for FJ. She asked me to call back, hoping that the glitch would have been fixed in the next days (I am on a deadline like most of us ).

Was anybody able to book FJ in the last days? It would suprise me that I would be the only FT member who is trying to book FJ, given the major increase for South-Pacific routings from North America/Europe.
Same issue here. I'll also try Australia AA.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Epicura
Thanks! Will call Australia instead!
Just wanted to report that AA Australia was indeed succesful in booking FJ awards.

It is my understanding that AA USA (also EXP dedicated line) is facing a temporarily glitch so any one who still is trying to book FJ before 03/21 - better to call Australia and I think you should hurry given it's already late in the evening down under.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ni sa bula! Io (yes), you can earn AAdvantage miles on FJ / Air Fiji. Sea (no), they won't be Elite Qualifying miles; vosoti au, they'll only be redeemable miles.

But you may be able to earn EQM if you book the Qantas codeshare, as QF offers earning miles on several non-oneworld miles as an exception. How many would be determined by Qantas' earning scheme - best asked in the Qantas | Frequent Flyer forum.

Ni sa moce.
SO... I quiver in my boots when I post this because it counters the most respected and venerable Mr. Diver, but I just flew Fiji Airways in J class and got EQM's... I swear on the holy FT Gods... Perhaps a hiccup in the machine? But I got em! So I guess we'll see how long it takes for someone to realize the mistake and take em away!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:44 pm

Hello guys, I booked AA marketed FJ flights in this winter holiday. So I have both AA and FJ PNR. I couldn't select seats on FJ website. Do I have to call them to select seat?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
SO... I quiver in my boots when I post this because it counters the most respected and venerable Mr. Diver, but I just flew Fiji Airways in J class and got EQM's... I swear on the holy FT Gods... Perhaps a hiccup in the machine? But I got em! So I guess we'll see how long it takes for someone to realize the mistake and take em away!
Shh! I won't tell a soul. That's great. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by lz80521
Hello guys, I booked AA marketed FJ flights in this winter holiday. So I have both AA and FJ PNR. I couldn't select seats on FJ website. Do I have to call them to select seat?
Probably.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:53 pm

AA marketed FJ operated flights do earn AA EQM based on the page here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/airlines/fiji.jsp
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:19 am
Suspended

AA marketed FJ operated flights do earn AA EQM based on the page here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...lines/fiji.jsp
Two different scenarios;

FJ flights do -not- earn AAdv EQMs by policy, and nothing on that page indicates otherwise.

FJ flights that have AA flight numbers ("AA marketed") always earn EQMs the same way all AA #'d flights do.

I don't see in the post by matinicus rock any indication that the flight had an AA flight #, so, if it didn't, that's unusual.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

AA marketed FJ operated flights do earn AA EQM based on the page here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...lines/fiji.jsp
Correct. As it states in the wiki, "Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member)."

It does sound like matinicusrock was flying FJ (not as an AA or QF marketed flight); if so, very nice gift from Fiji Airways. Be sure to say "vinaka vakalevu" (thank you very much) .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.