Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:14 am

It's a phenomenon known as Phantom Award Space. The computer originally shows availability, but when you go to book it there is actually no inventory. I would call and ask to speak with a supervisor in the AAdvantage department and see if they can release a seat for you.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yep...

Phantom / false AA award availability with AA partners (master thd)
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
System shows MH Awards, number of AAdvantage miles required and taxes.

However when you request to book the selected available flights I get the same Identical message on every date I've tried

Choose a different flight or fare

We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.

Anybody have a cure to this Glitch?
Just ran into this issue as well... and expert flyer seems to corroborate the lack of award space. Definitely phantom space on AA side. Sad
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:46 am

Reading this thread and it seemed a lot of people have experienced 'phantom' MH availability when trying to redeem AA miles. Has anyone actually been successful in using AA miles for MH long haul flights?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by A1pax
Reading this thread and it seemed a lot of people have experienced 'phantom' MH availability when trying to redeem AA miles. Has anyone actually been successful in using AA miles for MH long haul flights?
Yes - I would suggest using a different site ( e.g. the BA one ) to search for availability though
A1pax likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes - I would suggest using a different site ( e.g. the BA one ) to search for availability though
Thanks, Dave Noble. I have seen MH flights (long haul J) when searching in AA website. I crossed checked BA website and found the same MH flights. So, am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be successful when I am ready to book, using AA miles - cheaper than using BA avios!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
The situation seems to have reversed. I'm now seeing no MH availability at all via AA on some routes.
When BA and QF both show MH availability, AA shows nothing available. Does anyone know if this is just the web site? Can agents access the seats?

Last edited by Kremmen; Aug 1, 2022 at 8:24 am
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, AA PPro
I currently had a mileage reservation BKI-NRT in business on Malaysian continuing on to NRT-LAX in 1st on Japan. Malaysian outright cancelled the flight with no attempt to accommodate or alternatives. I called AA but they told me they could not help because it was a partner carrier. But they would still honor my NRT-LAX leg on Japan. Unfortunately NRT is a 5 hour flight from where I would be. In multiple attempts to rebook I got multiple phantom legs on both Malaysian and Japan. I obviously had to make alternate plans, but still check every few days and see the same phantom routings that when I go to hold disappear.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, AA PPro
I currently had a mileage reservation BKI-NRT in business on Malaysian continuing on to NRT-LAX in 1st on Japan. Malaysian outright cancelled the flight with no attempt to accommodate or alternatives. I called AA but they told me they could not help because it was a partner carrier. But they would still honor my NRT-LAX leg on Japan. Unfortunately NRT is a 5 hour flight from where I would be. In multiple attempts to rebook I got multiple phantom legs on both Malaysian and Japan. I obviously had to make alternate plans, but still check every few days and see the same phantom routings that when I go to hold disappear.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Originally Posted by Kremmen
The situation seems to have reversed. I'm now seeing no MH availability at all via AA on some routes.
When BA and QF both show MH availability, AA shows nothing available. Does anyone know if this is just the web site? Can agents access the seats?
I’m seeing the same thing, both AS and BA are showing availability, while AA does not.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rill2503456
I’m seeing the same thing, both AS and BA are showing availability, while AA does not.
Have you tried making a telephone call to AA and seeing whether the agents can see anything?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:36 am

Have you tried making a telephone call to AA and seeing whether the agents can see anything?
AA can see the space. I had to initiate a change to an existing booking that had a leg on MH, and AA was able to make the change for me even though the leg I wanted didn't show up on the website.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
I just tried calling after not seeing any space online and they had no problem booking with the space visible in BA/AS.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PPro
I keep search flight to and from KUL on AA.com, but most of the time it comes up error. Or, one option between KUL-BKK was to use CX KUL-HKG-BBK, but no MH.
the MH flights don't seem to show.
Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.