FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1434139-redeeming-miles-awards-malaysia-airlines-mh-master-thread.html)

MAH4546 Jun 5, 2011 6:33 pm

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Malaysia Airlines will join the oneWorld alliance.

An announcement is expected shortly from Singapore.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-air...n=home-flipper.

A little background on MAS:
*Hubbed in Kuala Lumpur.
*One of few airlines to serve all six inhabited continents.
*Operates a fleet of 90 aircraft; with 50 orders and 30 options, including six A380s.
*U.S. service to Los Angeles via Taipei.
*European service includes Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London Heathrow, Paris and Rome.
*One of few airlines rated 5-star by Skytrax.

JDiver Jun 5, 2011 6:50 pm

A hearty "terima kasih banyak-banyak" for an early sharing of the news, MAH4546!

Check out their interactive route map here.

MH Enrich Silver tier is oneworld Ruby (AA Gold); Enrich Gold to oneworld Sapphire (AA Platinum); and Enrich Platinum to oneworld Emerald (AA Exdecutive Platinum).

link to new A380 interior photos

Note infants to 2 years old are not allowed in 747 and A380 First; infants and children to age 12 are not allowed on the A380 upper deck.

LAX-KUL and onward... very nice!

largeeyes Feb 1, 2013 5:17 am

Malaysian now in oneworld 1 Feb 2013 - awards, miles earning, etc. (consolidated)

MH not showing on AA searches yet? I'm wondering what tax differences are on a FRA-KUL one way with AA vs BA.

mtkeller Feb 1, 2013 6:45 am

Originally Posted by mathman88 (Post 20164028)
I should add that this was on the KUL-LHR route, so maybe they are going the way of SQ and the A380. I will check other routes.

I have no problems finding J award space on LHR-KUL on MH using the BA site. For instance, LHR-KUL in mid-August. I did find that if you search for F, it spits back Y. However, if you search specifically for J, it will show the space.

zakami Feb 1, 2013 6:56 am

When is AA posting the accrual chart? MH has been a OneWorld member for over 12 hours now.

Noctilux Feb 1, 2013 7:36 am

Just booked Business Class

Hi All;

Just booked J as AAdvantage claim that F is not available for mileage use.

Is this correct, or does anyone have conflicting information.

Angeleno228 Feb 1, 2013 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Noctilux (Post 20165571)
Hi All;

Same here. Agents are only able to book Biz and Coach to CDG and LHR, no First yet (doesn't come up as an option and they claim it's 2-cabin :rolleyes:). I'm thinking this might be programming issue? I'm giving it a few days.

Guy Betsy Feb 1, 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Angeleno228 (Post 20165870)
Same here. Agents are only able to book Biz and Coach to CDG and LHR, no First yet (doesn't come up as an option and they claim it's 2-cabin :rolleyes:). I'm thinking this might be programming issue? I'm giving it a few days.

I think it has to do with Amadeus again. When CX switched over to Amadeus, AA members couldn't even book with them for about 2 weeks! So I think the same is happening with MH.

Originally Posted by Noctilux (Post 20165571)
Hi All;

What I'd like to know is what you paid in total taxes...?

Is MH charging YQ with AAdvantage ?

UA Fan Feb 1, 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 20166109)

Yes looks like AA is not charging YQ:

KUL BLR $21.30
LAX KUL $30.50
LAX NRT $2.50
LHR KUL $198.50

All the above are for Y class. On the BLR route I still might take BA as they charge $143 and 10k miles as opposed to 22.5K miles AA wants. On the other routes AA is a clear winner.

Noctilux Feb 1, 2013 11:01 am

From the 'Horse's Mouth'

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 20166109)
I think it has to do with Amadeus again. When CX switched over to Amadeus, AA members couldn't even book with them for about 2 weeks! So I think the same is happening with MH.

Hi GB

Not an Amadeus thing, it is an MH thing; I spoke directly to MH and they confirmed that the F seats are not available for mileage.

Flying J from LHR/KUL I paid $480 in taxes.

ScottieFlyer Feb 1, 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 20166237)
Yes looks like AA is not charging YQ:

KUL BLR $21.30
LAX KUL $30.50
LAX NRT $2.50
LHR KUL $198.50

All the above are for Y class. On the BLR route I still might take BA as they charge $143 and 10k miles as opposed to 22.5K miles AA wants. On the other routes AA is a clear winner.

I just did a ow KUL-LHR-GLA J redemption. Tax and fees totalled US$110.

hillrider Feb 1, 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by zakami (Post 20165396)
When is AA posting the accrual chart? MH has been a OneWorld member for over 12 hours now.

The lack of attention and detail of AA.com never cease to amaze me. It's been over a full day since the first oneworld MH flight left KUL, the one highlighted in the press release co-signed by AA!!

However, from the promo I notice that it extends only to Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, or S -- so I imply that not all bookings earn miles (e.g. fares booked in Q, O).

:td:

Hyperacusis Feb 1, 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 20167143)
The lack of attention and detail of AA.com never cease to amaze me. It's been over a full day since the first oneworld MH flight left KUL, the one highlighted in the press release co-signed by AA!!

However, from the promo I notice that it extends only to Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, H, K, M, L, V, or S -- so I imply that not all bookings earn miles (e.g. fares booked in Q, O).

:td:

That being said, the promo doesn't include discounted business Z, which you can be almost 100% sure will be a regular earning class on AA (it is on BA). Probably a good assumption is that the BAEC earning chart is a baseline, and AAdvantage earnings will be the same or likely better (which is still not saying much).

hillrider Feb 1, 2013 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis (Post 20167168)
That being said, the promo doesn't include discounted business Z, which you can be almost 100% sure will be a regular earning class on AA (it is on BA).

Good point.

Those Z fares are actually pretty good, but it looks like the integration isn't quite done yet: look at this SFO-KUL routing:

1. SFO-UA-LAX-TYO-KUL

Yep, SFO-LAX must be on UA and therefore cannot be on AA!!! This is definitely one of those are you kidding??

Lots and lots of attention to detail missing on this "integration". Doesn't look good if the AA/US merger takes place.

UA Fan Feb 1, 2013 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 20167340)
Malaysia Airlines will join the oneWorld alliance.

An announcement is expected shortly from Singapore.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-air...n=home-flipper.

A little background on MAS:
*Hubbed in Kuala Lumpur.
*One of few airlines to serve all six inhabited continents.
*Operates a fleet of 90 aircraft; with 50 orders and 30 options, including six A380s.
*U.S. service to Los Angeles via Taipei.
*European service includes Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London Heathrow, Paris and Rome.
*One of few airlines rated 5-star by Skytrax.

I think MH has stopped service to CAI, JNB, CPT and EZE

Also the flight to LAX is through NRT I think.