Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
It's not so much a "bureaucratic interpretation" as a factual one -- only fares booked in the listed codes earn miles, period. If you actually booked an MH-marketed and operated flight in I, then by definition MH does have I (but likely sells it only in special circumstances, like your RTW ticket). Although it may seem unfair or inconsistent for these fares to be excluded from AA's mileage earning table, the rules are what they are and you probably have no recourse.
Agree.

And, I'm a little hazy on how a OneWorld explorer was booked into I (as opposed to D) at all-- I'm thinking this actually -wasn't- a DONE3.

In any case, it's a buyer beware situation and no AAdv mirage credit is due for the ineligible segment(s).

And, as far as this goes:
Originally Posted by yegexpat
...If either AA or Oneworld monitor this forum I would appreciate some guidance.
sorry to tell you, zero chance of that happening, rather, it's a live and learn experience.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, I'm a little hazy on how a OneWorld explorer was booked into I (as opposed to D) at all-- I'm thinking this actually -wasn't- a DONE3.
Correct, it was an IONE3.
http://www.oneworld.com/documents/10...9-d346ec820edf
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Ah, had no idea! Well, definitely even a bit more of a buyer beware situation but not any kind of "bureaucratic interpretation" or anything like that.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
A pity that the OW co-ordinator that negotiated the rules for this fare didn't understand the MH paid fare class structure. Simply needs to be a change in the booking table for the IONEx fares. (I won't hold my breathe for the change).

Somebody needs less accountants/MBAs and more people that actually fly. (Actually I'm both).

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
A pity that the OW co-ordinator that negotiated the rules for this fare didn't understand the MH paid fare class structure.
Or more that AA doesn't understand MHs categories.

Had a quick look at other programs re MH I Class.
Enrish (MH) -- Does not earn
Avios (BA/IB) - Does not earn
QFF (QF) - Earns as Business (apart from on certain 'competing' routes where Economy)
AsiaMiles (CX) - Does not earn
Qmiles (QR) - Does not earn

So AA is certainly not alone... Indeed the fare wouldn't even earn on Enrich
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Correct the discount (cash) business fare class on MH is "Z".

Substitute Z for I in the IONEx fare rules for MH...

Simplicity required no wandering

Fred
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:01 am

Folks...thanks for the opinions.....no closer to a resolution
Sounds like wandering Fred identified the problem (failure on Americans part to understand MH paid fare structure.
To clarify the RTW was fared using the one world RTW booking tool. It came up with an I class fare based on the itinerary (IONE3) . Handed the itinerary to AA Oneworld desk for ticketing. They validated and issued at the same fare.
I typically travel on DONE3 or 4 and was surprised to learn the IONE fares existed.

Still can't reconcile how AA deny miles for a paid business fare (albeit discounted) when virtually any paid fare on any member of one world alliance earns some miles
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by yegexpat
Still can't reconcile how AA deny miles for a paid business fare (albeit discounted) when virtually any paid fare on any member of one world alliance earns some miles
I think of it this way:

1. It's their program
2. They make the rules
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Award Availability with MH

Before calling the AAgent, planned a change in an AAward booking using various websites including BA avios, that showed availability in J for MH616, but the AAgent says it is unavailable.
I've never come across this incompatibility before...has anyone else?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:58 pm

I guess i'm pulling up an ancient thread. I'm also facing an issue where BA site shows tons of availability on a KUL-BKK segment yet AA can only locate 1/5 of what BA site shows.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:24 am

I had the same issue with MH award flights and they were showing more flights on BA, but AA couldn't find them. I called 3 times over a couple of weeks and gave up. I waited a few more months and called again and they finally found the flight I wanted. Not sure if it is related to the agent's competency or some system glitch. I was looking up KUL-CGK and AA was only able to find the first 3 flights in the morning, but I was looking for the afternoon flight.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:23 am

I tried called the Malay and Aussie offices without luck. I tried once more w the Americans. Here is what I discovered. It seems we need to provide them with specific times to search for the flights. In my case they only found 2 flights, one in the morning and another in the early afternoon (the first two that were available via mileage). A 'smart' rep said maybe I can search by time. I guess she had the ability to select the time at the search engine page and proceeded to find the later flights. I was able to get the flight that I wanted.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Any recent data points for the time it takes MH flights to post to AA accounts? I know the sticky says 1-2 weeks, but not sure how updated that information is.
I'm at 2 weeks now and nothing from two separate tickets. Even my UL flight posted before MH!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stefg1007
Any recent data points for the time it takes MH flights to post to AA accounts? I know the sticky says 1-2 weeks, but not sure how updated that information is.
I'm at 2 weeks now and nothing from two separate tickets. Even my UL flight posted before MH!
I'm quite sure my flight in late Mar took less than a week to post. One thing you might want to double-check is that the MH fare code actually earns anything. In my case, the fare code for one direction of my RT did and the other did not, so only the one posted.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by stefg1007
Curious about this myself. Have BKK-KUL-DPS flights from 26 and 29 Nov that I'm waiting to see posted. Segments in D and Z, so all should earn on AA. Those factor into my requal for the year, which is coming down to the wire, so I'm anxious for the mileage to show up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.