Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
On MH the entry level "Smart" fare is V class which is the lowest AA (and QF) earning fare class.

One of these days I will have to consider the MH sale fares - even without earning - as the price differences are "large".

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA
wow... does anyone know if I can "retroactively" purchase the fare upgrade? This is such BS
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by CookiesBoxcar
wow... does anyone know if I can "retroactively" purchase the fare upgrade? This is such BS
Not possible. If mileage earn is important to you in future you should ensure you check the fare bucket you are booking against the earning table for that airline in your frequent flyer program. Not all fare buckets earn as you have found out, and then with codeshare flights marketed/operated by different carriers there can be cases where you do not earn anything as well.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Business class on Malaysia only gets 1.25 x EQP

I checked and flights on every other Oneworld partner get 1.5 x EQP. Does anyone know the reason for this oddity? I was quite surprised when last month's KUL-MNL sector got me less EQP than I thought. Luckily it's only about a difference of 385 EQP so it's not a great loss this time. Last year I had a longer haul round trip with them but since I was comfortably over 100K EQP I didn't notice that it was only 1.25.

I realize that there is already a general thread on miles earning for MH. But this is such a singularly odd thing in Oneworld that I feel it deserves its own thread. In my 10 years or so in AAdvantage I've flown most of the partners and it seemed like holy writ that all business fares got 1.5. So I'm a bit flabbergasted about this MH being 1.25 business.

At least people should be made well aware of this because many people plan their trips carefully to qualify for next year's status. If they're like me they just assume that in all of OW business class gets them 1.5 x EQP, and they don't necessarily check earnings charts.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nasty surprise. Only First on MH earns 1.5 EQP per base mile.

New airline to fly? It pays to check FT threads and the "Earn Miles" link, following to "Airlines", from the AA AAdvantage page, lest we get caught short.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...iaairlines.jsp

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 10, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:21 pm

I see online that the route I want only has one award seat available almost everyday, from ICN-KUL-MLE. Does anyone know if MH will release an additional seat after I book one as it will be two of us travelling? thanks
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
I see online that the route I want only has one award seat available almost everyday, from ICN-KUL-MLE. Does anyone know if MH will release an additional seat after I book one as it will be two of us travelling? thanks
There is no way I can give you a definitive answer but in my experience no.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
I was in a similar situation a few weeks back. Looks like they make one F seat available on CDG-KUL almost every day. Booked two people on two different days hoping that a second seat would open up close to departure. Non - even when lots of F seats have been available for sale.
Similar situation also for an inner-Asia flight. No additional award seat even with lots of seats for sale.
Looks like they don't open up more seats close to departure.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Looks like they don't open up more seats close to departure.
That is correct
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:04 am

on CDG-KUL last month they did open one J seat 2 or 3 days prior departure
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:18 am

Having trouble booking award space with MH:

For instance, I wanted to book a flight on April 17th next week and was told there's no availability for any of the flights on that day (when I see lots of Y and J availability through the BA site.) But on the 18th, what they can see lines up perfectly with BA.

Is it a strange glitch - or is there some restriction on booking MH more than X days in advance?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I had a rather strange experience with MH. BA.com shows U1 and I was booking for me and my friend. After confirming my seat, the US agent request another seat from MH for my friend and managed to get it confirmed.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by CGRA
on CDG-KUL last month they did open one J seat 2 or 3 days prior departure
Not necessarily true... it could have just been that another reward passenger cancelled his/her reservation so the seat went back to the original award inventory.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Not necessarily true... it could have just been that another reward passenger cancelled his/her reservation so the seat went back to the original award inventory.
Interesting that the award go back to inventory.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:26 am

Called AA trying to price a specific award and AA agents were having issues seeing KUL-CGK flights even in their system. Not sure if it's a one-off thing, but just a datapoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.