Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Effective 12 Oct 2014, meal selection is available from 30 days to 24 hours before flight (This meal selection was suspended temporarily 12 Sep - 10 Dec 2015.)

Special meal (Asian vegetarian, Kosher, Muslim, Low sodium, etc.) requests may be requested where offered. See this post for the list of available special meals.

[
Reserve your entrée before you fly

Flying in First or Business Class? We’re the first U.S. airline to offer you the choice to reserve your entrée on American Airlines flights with scheduled meal service. To enjoy this personalized service, simply reserve your meal at least 24 hours before departure.
  • Available for customers traveling on American Airlines in First or Business class, on the majority of flights that are scheduled to offer a meal.
  • You can reserve your meal beginning 30 days (and up to 24 hours) before you depart

• If you change your flight, reservation is required again

• Meals may not be available at times as there is a limit on numbers.

Information About Entrée (Main Course) Reservations:
  • Entrée reservations are available in First and Business class on American Airlines marketed and operated flights
  • We can begin accepting reservations 30 days prior to travel and all orders must be completed at least 24 hours before departure
  • If your original itinerary changes, please reselect your entrée preference
  • We will do our best to accommodate your request, but there may be instances that prevent us from fulfilling your selection

Problems? Try a DM using Twitter or call.

Also see

Note: the old order in which meal preferences are taken by Flight Attendants ("FEBO") ended on 1 Sep 2014. See "FEBO dead 1 Sep 2014 - new system based on flight direction & time zone change".

Thanks to wiki "plank holder" hillrider.
Print Wikipost

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'm (slightly) lactose intolerant and have lately begun exploring the special meal options when there appears to be too much dairy on the menu.

my most frequent go-to option as been the (Spicy) Asian Vegetarian option (which has never been spicy for me) over the Vegetarian/Vegan option. I've been just to fearful that the latter option would be too bland for me since I'm just slightly lactose intolerant (milk and dairy are definitely off limits for me unless I take lactose pills).

Any comments about the other options experienced? I know "Big Brother" is all around us, but I'd hate to be tagged/flagged for just wanting to have other options/experimentation with other food options on the plane when available.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
JFK-LAX A321T First Dinner in December
  • Eggplant Lasagna Eggplant Lasagna for JFK to LAX
    pomodoro sauce
  • Braised beef Braised beef selected forfor JFK to LAX
    wild mushroom barley risotto, squash, fresh spring greens, orange braising sauce
  • Grilled chicken Grilled chicken selected for for JFK to LAX
    pesto penne pasta, broccoli, squash, tomato compote
  • Scallops with Panko Scallops with Panko selected for for JFK to LAX
    carrot, zucchini, baby fennel, green onion and roasted re tomato sauce
LAX-JFK A321T First Dinner December
  • Beef filet Beef filet selected for for LAX to JFK
    spiced lentils, baby beets, Brussel sprouts, truffle butter available upon request
  • Achiote chicken Achiote chicken selected for for LAX to JFK
    mashed potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, Poblano cream sauce
  • Ranchero seared shrimp Ranchero seared shrimp selected for for LAX to JFK
    Spanish rice, roasted peppers, ranchero sauce
  • Vegetable Thai green curry Vegetable Thai green curry selected for for LAX to JFK
    jasmine rice
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by thearmada
Are the pre-order meals always the same as what is served in cabin? ....
Originally Posted by CMK10
...... they've never been different.
This was from 5 years ago.
Is the answer still the same?

The only advantage to pre ordering is guaranteeing your choice of meal?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
This was from 5 years ago.
Is the answer still the same?

Yes unless you count "ability to pre-order a fruit and cheese plate from coach, to eat instead of an F meal while sitting in F" to be an advantage.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes unless you count "ability to pre-order a fruit and cheese plate from coach, to eat instead of an F meal while sitting in F" to be an advantage.
I do!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
Actually, big oversight on my part -- they now have special meals like "Asian Vegetarian" and "Diabetic" available even for regular domestic meals (but not lite bites or regional meals). So you can get a pretty solid special meal on DFW-CMH, DCA-MIA, and the like. I am not a vegetarian but the Asian Vegetarian lunch & dinner meals have been consistently worth eating. Breakfast has been mostly a miss (for example, oatmeal with a side of coconut for the "Asian" I suppose, so I stick with the regular eggs). But if you haven't tried the Asian Vegetarian on a lunch or dinner flight (and if you like mild-to-medium-spicy Indian-ish food like okra, potatoes with cauliflower, and chick peas) then give it a shot.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
What's a the Diabetic Dinner like Mia-SFO or DFW?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
We have found this to be a good choice when we have flights too close together to want two full meals. There need be no wastage because you can carry off anything you don't eat.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
What's a the Diabetic Dinner like Mia-SFO or DFW?
check out the domestic meals thread. The good diabetic meals appear to be enormous (2× the size, including 2× protein) and slightly better quality than normal. The bad diabetic meals appear to be glorified slop
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
I found it interesting the AA is not offering 2 western meal options on my upcoming flight from DFW to NRT (in J), only 1 western meal (fish), plus the usual Japanese meal option They always have 2 western meal options (beef and fish) on every one of these flights I've taken before. My wife is flying 10 days later on this same flight #, and she has both beef and fish option, plus the Japanese meal option.

Curious why my flight only has fish for the western meal option?

Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Hilton-Diamond, UA-1K
I had the same issue on my LAX-NRT flight last week. The inflight menu had a vegetarian and beef option
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by robertablake
I found it interesting the AA is not offering 2 western meal options on my upcoming flight from DFW to NRT (in J), only 1 western meal (fish), plus the usual Japanese meal option They always have 2 western meal options (beef and fish) on every one of these flights I've taken before. My wife is flying 10 days later on this same flight #, and she has both beef and fish option, plus the Japanese meal option.

Turns out, there where a few more choices when you were on the plane than on the website. Shouldn't the choice be the same forfhe website pre-selections and on the on-board menu? What would happen if I want something different than my pre-selection once I see the additional choices on the on-board menu? In this case, I was happy with my fish pre-selection, but was wondering what if I wasn't?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
What would happen if I want something different than my pre-selection once I see the additional choices on the on-board menu? In this case, I was happy with my fish pre-selection, but was wondering what if I wasn't?
You just let them know you want to change to the meal you want. If they have enough left on board, they'll swap it, no problem.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
You just let them know you want to change to the meal you want. If they have enough left on board, they'll swap it, no problem.
"IF they have enough..." Why don't they just provide all the meal options online so there are no IFs?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:55 pm

Well let me start by telling you I only eat the finest ingredient's available in my location! Luckily I reside by a natural organic farm in the eastern most richest area of north providence! When I purchase my first class ticket aboard American Airlines I expect a solid, natural, organic meal that satisfy's my inner most palate! On several flights on American the meal service has been less than superb resulting in an intolerance in my inquisitive yet subtle palate ! It would be my opinion that I can have nothing but the best quality aboard Americans finest fleet of exotic yet admirable first class domestic cabin! - Thomas III

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.