Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Effective 12 Oct 2014, meal selection is available from 30 days to 24 hours before flight (This meal selection was suspended temporarily 12 Sep - 10 Dec 2015.)

Special meal (Asian vegetarian, Kosher, Muslim, Low sodium, etc.) requests may be requested where offered. See this post for the list of available special meals.

[
Reserve your entrée before you fly

Flying in First or Business Class? We’re the first U.S. airline to offer you the choice to reserve your entrée on American Airlines flights with scheduled meal service. To enjoy this personalized service, simply reserve your meal at least 24 hours before departure.
  • Available for customers traveling on American Airlines in First or Business class, on the majority of flights that are scheduled to offer a meal.
  • You can reserve your meal beginning 30 days (and up to 24 hours) before you depart

• If you change your flight, reservation is required again

• Meals may not be available at times as there is a limit on numbers.

Information About Entrée (Main Course) Reservations:
  • Entrée reservations are available in First and Business class on American Airlines marketed and operated flights
  • We can begin accepting reservations 30 days prior to travel and all orders must be completed at least 24 hours before departure
  • If your original itinerary changes, please reselect your entrée preference
  • We will do our best to accommodate your request, but there may be instances that prevent us from fulfilling your selection

Problems? Try a DM using Twitter or call.

Also see

Note: the old order in which meal preferences are taken by Flight Attendants ("FEBO") ended on 1 Sep 2014. See "FEBO dead 1 Sep 2014 - new system based on flight direction & time zone change".

Thanks to wiki "plank holder" hillrider.
Print Wikipost

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Of course they can! FA should go back to the last person who ordered that and say "I'm sorry there was a pre-order for the X and I can only offer you the Y dish. Would you like that?"
RIGHT !!!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
It doesn't sound like this was a legacy US crew, but we were never (that I'm aware of) able to pre-order on US.

I'd be curious how the legacy US crews do with pre-ordered meals.
Actually, US was a bit odd. You couldn't preorder in F, but you could preorder the BOB in Y! I recently wrote AA to suggest bringing back the preordering in Y, because sometimes they run out at row 13 or 14 in the Y cabin (and inevitably I'm in like row 20). And IME the preordering in Y worked 95% of the time on US.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Of course they can! FA should go back to the last person who ordered that and say "I'm sorry there was a pre-order for the X and I can only offer you the Y dish. Would you like that?"
Ok, let me correct that, I would not eat a meal they took away from someone...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Not if they are taking orders AND delivering from the cart on the spot, as I've often seen done.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Food has gone cheap again, if I would have preordered, I would have gone hungry. Chicken sliders don't come with vegetables, hearts of palm salad doesn't include hearts of palm and looked small even though it was a small plate,
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Which Oddly Is What My Legacy AA Friends All Complain About Too

I'm pretty sure AA will know which. Getting them to care is the issue.
Mostly in regard to their replacement ex-US supervisors not being into standardized practice and abiding by rules.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 31, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm wondering whether the AA gurus can shed any light on an issue I'm having right now with meal pre-orders.

I have the following itinerary coming up in a few days. Flights are spaced out over several days. All are within the window for pre-ordering entrées, but only one flight

Leg 1
YYC-DFW
DFW-BNA

Leg 2
BNA-CLT
CLT-TPA

Leg 3
TPA-MIA

Leg 4
MIA-RDU

Leg 5
RDU-DFW
DFW-YYC

Based on the 2017 meal thread, I understand that the only flights on which we should get proper meals are YYC-DFW, MIA-RDU and DFW-YYC. The others are too short, other than RDU-DFW, but the departure time for that flight falls within the 1:30-4PM meal blackout (3:42PM departure).

So I figured I could go on aa.com and pre-order meals for those flights. Yet the only meal I'm offered to pre-order is for RDU-DFW.

Is this a glitch in the pre-ordering on the website? Or is there something I'm missing somewhere? My guesses are:
  • No pre-orders on E75s (Envoy operates the YYC-DFW-YYC legs)?
  • Even though aa.com says MIA-RDU is 700 miles, for meal purposes they've decided it doesn't qualify? Or is a 9:28AM departure outside the window for breakfast?
  • Not really sure why RDU-DFW gets a meal, it seems to pretty clearly not qualify due to departure time.

Any insights would be appreciated as I'd like to pre-order whatever meals I can. If there is a glitch and I should be getting more choices, can it be resolved by calling AA? Or am I SOL? Or have I just misunderstood what meals we should be getting?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
  • No pre-orders on E75s (Envoy operates the YYC-DFW-YYC legs)?
From the wiki at the top of the page and AA.com:
On American-marketed and operated flights with scheduled meal service, you can reserve your meal
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
From the wiki at the top of the page and AA.com
It wasn't clear to me whether this included distinguishing AA mainline from regionals or whether it was simply meant to make it clear to people that this didn't apply to, for instance, codeshares on BA flights. So if you're saying it's the former, that answers one of my questions, perhaps someone else can help with the others.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It wasn't clear to me whether this included distinguishing AA mainline from regionals or whether it was simply meant to make it clear to people that this didn't apply to, for instance, codeshares on BA flights. So if you're saying it's the former, that answers one of my questions, perhaps someone else can help with the others.
You 100% can pre order on E175 flights that have meals (which matches the rest of AE).

​​​​​​What does the website say when you book these flights for meals?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Food has gone cheap again, if I would have preordered, I would have gone hungry. Chicken sliders don't come with vegetables, hearts of palm salad doesn't include hearts of palm and looked small even though it was a small plate,
that's why it's cheap
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You 100% can pre order on E175 flights that have meals (which matches the rest of AE).

"Continental breakfast" one way and "dinner" the other. Maybe for continental breakfast there's nothing to pre-order? Still leaves the return leg (dinner) unaccounted for.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

I am trying to pre-select a meal from DCA to MSY (2h59mins/E-175), departing at 11:40AM.

I am told the flight includes lunch, but I don't see a select a meal option?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

I have never been able to pre-order meals on eAAgle flights which offer two choices. Doesn't matter if it's PSA, Republic, etc. never shows any options for pre order.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I have never been able to pre-order meals on eAAgle flights which offer two choices. Doesn't matter if it's PSA, Republic, etc. never shows any options for pre order.
I have never been able to pre-order either. They have no ovens. For lunch they offered a salad or a sandwich. They seemed to have enough of each for the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.