Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Effective 12 Oct 2014, meal selection is available from 30 days to 24 hours before flight (This meal selection was suspended temporarily 12 Sep - 10 Dec 2015.)

Special meal (Asian vegetarian, Kosher, Muslim, Low sodium, etc.) requests may be requested where offered. See this post for the list of available special meals.

[
Reserve your entrée before you fly

Flying in First or Business Class? We’re the first U.S. airline to offer you the choice to reserve your entrée on American Airlines flights with scheduled meal service. To enjoy this personalized service, simply reserve your meal at least 24 hours before departure.
  • Available for customers traveling on American Airlines in First or Business class, on the majority of flights that are scheduled to offer a meal.
  • You can reserve your meal beginning 30 days (and up to 24 hours) before you depart

• If you change your flight, reservation is required again

• Meals may not be available at times as there is a limit on numbers.

Information About Entrée (Main Course) Reservations:
  • Entrée reservations are available in First and Business class on American Airlines marketed and operated flights
  • We can begin accepting reservations 30 days prior to travel and all orders must be completed at least 24 hours before departure
  • If your original itinerary changes, please reselect your entrée preference
  • We will do our best to accommodate your request, but there may be instances that prevent us from fulfilling your selection

Problems? Try a DM using Twitter or call.

Also see

Note: the old order in which meal preferences are taken by Flight Attendants ("FEBO") ended on 1 Sep 2014. See "FEBO dead 1 Sep 2014 - new system based on flight direction & time zone change".

Thanks to wiki "plank holder" hillrider.
Print Wikipost

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:19 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
For what it is worth I ran into the "Our system is having trouble. Please try again or come back later." issue reported up thread when trying to select a meal for my flight to Chile later next week. Tried different browsers and machines and got no place. I then went to change my seat, the seat map opened up, and I cancelled out because there were no better seats. Went to try the meal again and it took. Maybe it was just coincidence or maybe a work around. Worth a shot if you cannot get your meal order through.
Last trip over Christmastime, I had to call AA Reservations to get the meal selections entered properly.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:14 pm

I'm booked on a DFW-NRT and NRT-LAX flight in J in a couple weeks. On the site, I get the same error that frequently seems to prevent meal selection.
So I called in, and the agent told me there's no selectable meal because it's no breakfast/lunch/dinner as it's an overnight flight, with only light meals.
Is that correct? Seems totally unbelievable to me. DFW-NRT leaves at noon and NRT-LAX leaves at 6:45 pm... But she wouldn't budge on that claim.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by matt85
I'm booked on a DFW-NRT and NRT-LAX flight in J in a couple weeks. On the site, I get the same error that frequently seems to prevent meal selection.
So I called in, and the agent told me there's no selectable meal because it's no breakfast/lunch/dinner as it's an overnight flight, with only light meals.
Is that correct? Seems totally unbelievable to me. DFW-NRT leaves at noon and NRT-LAX leaves at 6:45 pm... But she wouldn't budge on that claim.
Hah. Call back and ask another AAgent or Tweet them (that’s about all that the twitter team is useful for these days).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:42 am

Called back last night. They couldn't resolve it on their end immediately, but took note of the issue and this morning the online selection worked first time after 5 days. Thanks for confirming I'll not stay hungry! ;-) No comment on service quality of my first call...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by matt85
Called back last night. They couldn't resolve it on their end immediately, but took note of the issue and this morning the online selection worked first time after 5 days. Thanks for confirming I'll not stay hungry! ;-) No comment on service quality of my first call...
I had the same issue on an upcoming LHR-PHL flight, unable to select meal online for at least 5 days.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone here have an international flight in April that is only showing three (instead of the usual four) choices available for pre-selection? I have an upcoming CLT-LHR in early April that is only showing three choices, but when I try a dummy booking for the same flight a week earlier in late March, a fourth choice appears (the other three are the same as those on my flight). Further testing reveals that flights on or before 3/31 have the four choices available for pre-selection, while those after 4/1 only have three, which leads me to wonder: is this an IT glitch, or is AA about to "enhance" international meal service (possibly only on EB TATL flights)?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On my LIS-SFO and PHL-SFO nonstops in Business on 10 Apr I was offered the usual four selections (including the cheese plate) and:

Asian Vegetarian meal
Spicy vegetarian meals with limited use of dairy products

Baby Meal
Selection of commercial baby food for children 2 and younger. Attached to the parent/guardian Passenger Name Record (PNR).

Bland meal
Simple cooking methods used specifically for passengers with digestive sensitivities

Child's meal
Meals for children 2-5 years old

Diabetic meal
Suitable for reduced sugar, hyperglycemic, hypoglycemic and carbohydrate controlled meal requests

Gluten intolerant meal
This meal eliminates all foods prepared with wheat, rye, barley and oats

Hindu meal
Prepared according to Hindu dietary practices and may include dairy, curries and spicy flavors

Kosher meal
Prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws

Low Fat/Low Cholesterol meal
High fiber, low fat meal

Low Sodium meal
No added salt, MSG or baking powder/soda

Muslim meal
Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or ingredients containing alcohol

Non-Lactose meal
Does not contain cheese, dairy products and their derivatives, lactose or milk products

Vegetarian/Vegan meal
Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, dairy products or derivatives

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian meal
Vegetarian meal that may include eggs and dairy products
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
On my LIS-SFO and PHL-SFO nonstops in Business on 10 Apr I was offered the usual four selections (including the cheese plate) and:
Hindu meal
Prepared according to Hindu dietary practices and may include dairy, curries and spicy flavors
Muslim meal
My wife and I tried these in February and they were identical except that the Muslim meal came with flatbread. We found them very tasty and quite good.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dkc192
Does anyone here have an international flight in April that is only showing three (instead of the usual four) choices available for pre-selection? I have an upcoming CLT-LHR in early April that is only showing three choices, but when I try a dummy booking for the same flight a week earlier in late March, a fourth choice appears (the other three are the same as those on my flight). Further testing reveals that flights on or before 3/31 have the four choices available for pre-selection, while those after 4/1 only have three, which leads me to wonder: is this an IT glitch, or is AA about to "enhance" international meal service (possibly only on EB TATL flights)?
I see four choices for HKG-LAX.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver

Asian Vegetarian meal
Spicy vegetarian meals with limited use of dairy products

Baby Meal
Selection of commercial baby food for children 2 and younger. Attached to the parent/guardian Passenger Name Record (PNR).

Bland meal
Simple cooking methods used specifically for passengers with digestive sensitivities

Child's meal
Meals for children 2-5 years old

Diabetic meal
Suitable for reduced sugar, hyperglycemic, hypoglycemic and carbohydrate controlled meal requests

Gluten intolerant meal
This meal eliminates all foods prepared with wheat, rye, barley and oats

Hindu meal

Kosher meal
Prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws

Low Fat/Low Cholesterol meal
High fiber, low fat meal

Low Sodium meal
No added salt, MSG or baking powder/soda

Muslim meal

Non-Lactose meal
Does not contain cheese, dairy products and their derivatives, lactose or milk products

Vegetarian/Vegan meal
Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, dairy products or derivatives

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian meal
Vegetarian meal that may include eggs and dairy products
Just because they list all these doesn't mean they exist individually that way. In the past, the same one meal might be Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegeterian/Vegan, Non-Lactose, Gluten-intolerant, Low fat/Low cholesterol, and maybe others. No matter which you order, you get the same meal that satisfies all those combined requirements. (It's trivial to satisfy both non-lactose and most other vegetarian categories on a vegan meal, and it's not hard to combine the other two just by choices of ingredients.) Garbanzo or lentil beans with rice, or black or pinto beans with corn, that can take care of all 5 of those categories (and maybe even others) if prepared correctly.

So if you have special dietary needs/desires, these can be great. But if you're looking for variety, they don't deliver nearly as much variety as you might think just looking at the list at first glance.
zpaul and MADPhil like this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I tried to preorder my entree for LHR-ORD booked under BA codes but to no avail. The twitter team however was able to send me a list of the choices.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by florens
I tried to preorder my entree for LHR-ORD booked under BA codes but to no avail.
If you purchased the ticket from BA, then ask BA for the AA Booking Code and order your meals.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarJon
If you purchased the ticket from BA, then ask BA for the AA Booking Code and order your meals.
I have the AA booking code, but the AA website can't display the meal options using the AA PNR. There is some kind of error.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
JFK to LHR in May, business
  • Choose later
  • Porcini Crusted Filet Mignon Porcini Crusted Filet Mignon
    chanterelle mushroom corn pudding, roasted asparagus, Café de Paris butter
  • Bourbon-Glazed Salmon Bourbon-Glazed Salmon
    fig and roasted pepper orzo, sugar snap peas, cherry tomato
  • Pommery Mustard and Honey Baked Chicken Pommery Mustard and Honey Baked Chicken
    wild mushroom and pea risotto, giardiniera
  • Santa Fe-Style Enchiladas Santa Fe-Style Enchiladas
    roasted squash, baby spinach, queso fresco, grilled corn
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

LHR-ORD meal options at the end of the month:
  • Goat cheese stuffed gnocchi with basil pesto, garden peas, Romanesco, and artichokes
  • Slow cooked short ribs in barbecue sauce with creamy mashed potatoes sautéed spinach, and pumpkin wedges
  • Moroccan chicken with ras el hanout jus, couscous, and baby carrots
  • Seared turbot in a mint matcha vinaigrette, cauliflower rice, sautéed pak choy, and cucumber

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.