Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I just booked a Domestic biz award because I got a small amount of AA miles that I wanted to burn (I won't be flying AA as much in the future and the miles were going to expire)
The fact that they were going to expire eases the pain a little but this is probably my worst redemption ever... if you compare it with Japan's low-cost airlines like Skymark the redemption value for both Economy and Biz tickets is bad. (Skymark's fares are inclusive of 20kg)
Disagree regarding redemption value for domestic economy awards. Probably half of my AAdvantage redemptions are JL domestic awards and I get fantastic value out of them - flying in Japan (especially to some more remote areas) is not exactly inexpensive. In the last year I've redeemed numerous awards for 7.5k AA miles that would have cost more than $400 each way. That being said, booking a Class J award is a terrible choice. It's twice the mileage cost for a seat you can pay $7-21 to upgrade into at the airport (depending on flight length). Depending on the aircraft there are often better seats in Y that you can reserve with OW status than many of the Class J seats. Low cost carriers are great assuming you book ahead and they actually serve where you want to fly, but JL (and NH) domestic awards offer incredible flexibility and a very reasonable mileage cost, in my opinion.

-FlyerBeek
Noodlesz and kcaluwae like this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Noodlesz
Is it safe to assume booking JL Business award on AA's site is JL Domestic First?
No, it is not. My deduction would be that a Business award via AA translates to Class J.

ExpertFlyer shows three selling cabins on a domestic A350 flight CTS-HND, First, Business, and Economy. JAL sells three cabins, First, Class J, and Economy but they only offer domestic awards in Class J and Economy so if you are booking a domestic award, the highest class it will be is Class J. It seems pretty obvious, First maps to First, Economy maps to Economy, and Business maps to Class J. You should be able to tell for sure by what seats you can select. To add more context, when I booked a Qatar Business award through AAdvantage, CAI-DOH-US, the CAI-DOH award was listed on AA as being in First and DOH-US was Business, so the short segment was listed as First Class when booking the award even though the long segment was Business and the complete award priced at the Business Class rate. So, I would expect AA to likewise list the JAL flight award as First if it were really in First, but they don't so it is probably not First which aligns with the other evidence to point to an AA Business award on domestic JAL metal being Class J.

As far as baggage. They can probably tag the luggage through but if you connect in HND I believe you will have to claim and recheck based on previous posts. If both flights are on one ticket you will get the international flight luggage allowance. On separate tickets, I don't know what they will do but I suspect it comes down to two choices, one, the baggage allowances will be separate, or two, they check your bag through but if your bags exceed either individual flight allowance they will charge extra?
Noodlesz likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Is it safe to assume booking JL Business award on AA's site is JL Domestic First?
In addition to what skimthetrees mentioned immediately above (business award does NOT map to JL domestic F) - also realize that "Class J" is not a business class product in the way we typically think. It's really just a domestic premium economy product (slightly better seat than Y with the exact same onboard service - plus the addition of one extra non-alcoholic beverage option).

-FlyerBeek
Noodlesz likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
This seems to be consistent with their international First. My family flies to Japan a couple of times every year....we fly Economy there and I cash in miles to come back early while they stay with wife's family. I'm on the site by the minute when the 2 week window comes up. Not a prob getting into First yet.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does upgrading a domestic leg of an award ticket to J make it "count" towards AA status? (I'm in particular need of some extra segments)
Old Nov 16, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Also, if anyone is certain...CTS-HND (JL) and HND-LAX (AA) on separate tickets, 8 hour connection, safe to assume no issue transferring the bags and they will through-check the bags?

Lastly, if I book an economy ticket CTS-HND connecting to business class HND-LAX will I get the economy or business baggage allowance? Bringing my skis in Jan so I don't think it'll be under 20 kg. That's why I'm thinking about booking first, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Thanks Flyers!
Beside what other have already posted, even if you have international F award, Japan domestic portion will be Class J and not eligible for domestic F.

When booking First Class or Business Class for the international sector of an itinerary, Class J is permitted for the connecting domestic sector if a seat is available at the time of booking. (Award travel in First Class for the domestic sector is not permitted.)

For itinerary that includes Japan domestic sectors
Noodlesz likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Martellus
Does upgrading a domestic leg of an award ticket to J make it "count" towards AA status? (I'm in particular need of some extra segments)
Unfortunately, not any longer in my experience. Up until mid-2022, all of my AA award tickets on JL domestic segments counted as qualifying segments (regardless of whether I upgraded to F/J or remained in Y). I didn't receive any segment credit for the most recent JL domestic segments I flew in August and September.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: Avios
Not sure if JAL flights go back into. Inventory but I will be cancelling 2 J class

Cancelling 2 Flights in around 20 mins . If they do go back hopefully somebody here can get them

First flight 2 Lax to Kix Business March 17 JAL
second flight 2 Hnd to Dfw Business March 31 on JAL
Prime cherry blossom time hopefully someone can get them . We just landed from a great trip and we will definitely not be using them.They we’re booked a year ago as a standby on in case we could not go in November
IMH likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:41 am

We have been searching for business class tickets from JFK-HND-CTS. There seemed to be 1 every day for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Finally tried to book myself for Monday, 10-23 but got the errored out message. Called and was told no availability on Monday but there were award space for the same flight on Tuesday, 10-24. Helpful agent booked the flight for us using 60k AA miles and $5.60 in taxes and told me to expect a confirmation email in about 2 hours. However, still have not received any email and when I log into my AA account, my miles are still there. Should I be concerned or call back or this is normal since the space is with Japan Airlines? Thanks for any advice!!!
Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by calculus1918
We have been searching for business class tickets from JFK-HND-CTS. There seemed to be 1 every day for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Finally tried to book myself for Monday, 10-23 but got the errored out message. Called and was told no availability on Monday but there were award space for the same flight on Tuesday, 10-24. Helpful agent booked the flight for us using 60k AA miles and $5.60 in taxes and told me to expect a confirmation email in about 2 hours. However, still have not received any email and when I log into my AA account, my miles are still there. Should I be concerned or call back or this is normal since the space is with Japan Airlines? Thanks for any advice!!!
Usually I can see my reservation in my account immediately - the the ticket is issued within (at most) a few hours. If you can't see the reservation in your account I'd call back
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:07 am

Thanks for the update. I see the trip in my family's record locator (buying the ticket for mother-in-law). Status is On request, and I see the reservation in the Japan airline site with a different record locator. However, it does state business class but for seat selection, no seat selection. I am hoping that after a few days, then I will be able to select the seats on my end? Thanks again for the expert advice (first time booking a business using AA points, exciting for normal economy travelers)!!!
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by calculus1918
Thanks for the update. I see the trip in my family's record locator (buying the ticket for mother-in-law). Status is On request, and I see the reservation in the Japan airline site with a different record locator. However, it does state business class but for seat selection, no seat selection. I am hoping that after a few days, then I will be able to select the seats on my end? Thanks again for the expert advice (first time booking a business using AA points, exciting for normal economy travelers)!!!
Once the ticket is issued and there is a ticket number you should be able to select seat on JL website using their record locator
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Once the ticket is issued and there is a ticket number you should be able to select seat on JL website using their record locator
call AA Australia. Theu should be able to ticket it while youre on the phone.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:47 am

Appreciate the insight, looking forward to surprising the in-laws in October, safe travels everyone!!!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:17 pm

Checked today, our flight for October 24, 2023 still shows the same on AA.com as Status: On request

Should I be concerned, we made the original booking with an AA agent on Sunday morning. Since then, we have already booked our flight via Jetblue to JFK to prepare for this trip. When I called AA today, the customer rep said that Japan Airlines needs to review the booking, it's been close to 4 days. Just hope it goes through...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.