Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
R is just a normal paid business class fare on some routes, if it's 3-class then yea, A is what you need to upgrade to F. Make sure you're searching upgrade A at EF.
yeah I know what an R fare is, I fly them all the time, they are some of the best values out there because they don't have the restrictions that I fares tend to have on them.

I should have framed the question better. The last time I used an R class fare and thought about upgrading to F (KTM-HKG-LAX-YVR), EF was not particularly helpful. I was not sure if it was married segments impacting the A bucket on HKG-LAX or that A5 for selling a seat for an A fare ticket vs A bucket for upgrades were not equal. In this case, the segment is GRU-MIA and the flights show A5 or A7 most days but EF upgrade shows A0 if I just look at the GRU-MIA segment. For reasons of a very complicated routing, including an enroute stopover, I am not able to get EF awards to display the full routing I plan to ticket. I doubt though that the result for GRU-MIA "direct" as a single segment is accurate for the award bucket for the routing I will fly, because if I add almost any other segment on so that I search for example GRU-MIA-LAX, the A bucket for awards on the GRU-MIA segment is rarely zero and instead between A5 and A7. I guess I will just call in once I put the itinerary on hold and ask if there are enough A upgrades for all 5 of us.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by stephem
yeah I know what an R fare is, I fly them all the time, they are some of the best values out there because they don't have the restrictions that I fares tend to have on them.

I should have framed the question better. The last time I used an R class fare and thought about upgrading to F (KTM-HKG-LAX-YVR), EF was not particularly helpful. I was not sure if it was married segments impacting the A bucket on HKG-LAX or that A5 for selling a seat for an A fare ticket vs A bucket for upgrades were not equal. In this case, the segment is GRU-MIA and the flights show A5 or A7 most days but EF upgrade shows A0 if I just look at the GRU-MIA segment. For reasons of a very complicated routing, including an enroute stopover, I am not able to get EF awards to display the full routing I plan to ticket. I doubt though that the result for GRU-MIA "direct" as a single segment is accurate for the award bucket for the routing I will fly, because if I add almost any other segment on so that I search for example GRU-MIA-LAX, the A bucket for awards on the GRU-MIA segment is rarely zero and instead between A5 and A7. I guess I will just call in once I put the itinerary on hold and ask if there are enough A upgrades for all 5 of us.
"A" as a paid fare bucket does not equal "A" as an upgrade fare bucket. You must use the Awards and Upgrades search at EF and you must search segment by segment to see the true upgrade availability.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, when you search just GRU-MIA and see A0, that is all that matters for upgrades, unfortunately no space currently available.
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
"A" as a paid fare bucket does not equal "A" as an upgrade fare bucket. You must use the Awards and Upgrades search at EF and you must search segment by segment to see the true upgrade availability.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, when you search just GRU-MIA and see A0, that is all that matters for upgrades, unfortunately no space currently available.
I'm pretty sure that is not accurate, if you are flying a complex itinerary, then EF doesn't show the same availability for a segment like GRU-MIA when it is searched alone vs in that more complex itinerary, and based on my experience that seems to be true of both paid and award space. Nevermind, I'll DM you a shot of us enjoying AA's middling F product ;-)
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem
I'm pretty sure that is not accurate, if you are flying a complex itinerary, then EF doesn't show the same availability for a segment like GRU-MIA when it is searched alone vs in that more complex itinerary, and based on my experience that seems to be true of both paid and award space. Nevermind, I'll DM you a shot of us enjoying AA's middling F product ;-)
For upgrade space, the "availability" that EF shows is for sure different depending on if you search segment by segment or connections, but any so-called availability you see searching connections is not valid. You have to search segment by segment to see the true availability.

You don't have to believe me but it's been this way for years now, EF even puts a warning up at the top of the search results page. Also discussed frequently in the main EF thread.

Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton, Hertz, Enterprise
strategy to upgrade to int'l business class

Doing a river cruise in France next summer (2025) and trying to figure out whats the best way to use miles to upgrade coach tickets from DFW to CDG or any close-by airport.

I've used miles for international business award tickets, but never for upgrades. What's the best way to accomplish that? Appears to be 25k miles plus cash per ticket, each way. Do I book our coach tickets first then upgradeable online? Do I need to "buy" the upgrades first, then book the tickets? Not sure of the order of operations here.

I think things open up 331 days before, and we are flexible on our dates by about a week or so on either end.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

booking availability does start at 330 days before departure, but that does not mean that there will be upgrade inventory necessarily released; if you are lucky, AA may provide upgrade availability, but it is also quite possible that you will just have to waitlist for the upgrade

If the upgrade clears then the 25k miles plus $350 will be deducted
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by 325CiC
Doing a river cruise in France next summer (2025) and trying to figure out whats the best way to use miles to upgrade coach tickets from DFW to CDG or any close-by airport.

I've used miles for international business award tickets, but never for upgrades. What's the best way to accomplish that? Appears to be 25k miles plus cash per ticket, each way. Do I book our coach tickets first then upgradeable online? Do I need to "buy" the upgrades first, then book the tickets? Not sure of the order of operations here.

I think things open up 331 days before, and we are flexible on our dates by about a week or so on either end.

Thanks!
Even with advanced planning, your odds of securing an upgrade from DFW to peak European leisure destinations during peak summer are a lot lower than you probably hope. Historically, AA has run a lot of 787-8 and 787-9s on that route, which have fewer seats than the 777-200s out of JFK, for example. Plus, DFW has a lot of connecting traffic.

Indeed, your best bet to have a solid chance at getting a summer TATL upgrade on any route is by connecting in JFK. Even then, you’ll need to be flexible, because there’s still a lot of heterogeneity in clearance rates (Tuesdays and Wednesdays easier than Sundays, etc.)
JJeffrey, FlightNurse and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by npretnar
Even with advanced planning, your odds of securing an upgrade from DFW to peak European leisure destinations during peak summer are a lot lower than you probably hope. Historically, AA has run a lot of 787-8 and 787-9s on that route, which have fewer seats than the 777-200s out of JFK, for example. Plus, DFW has a lot of connecting traffic.

Indeed, your best bet to have a solid chance at getting a summer TATL upgrade on any route is by connecting in JFK. Even then, you’ll need to be flexible, because there’s still a lot of heterogeneity in clearance rates (Tuesdays and Wednesdays easier than Sundays, etc.)
Agree. Another option is DFW-LHR. The later flights tend to be easy clearances on the 77W if you're not flying Friday/Sat (I've never missed one)
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appears to be 25k miles plus cash per ticket, each way. Do I book our coach tickets first then upgradeable online? Do I need to "buy" the upgrades first, then book the tickets? Not sure of the order of operations here.

The order of operations is you book your economy tickets first, then call AA and get on the waitlist for the upgrades.

But for all intents and purposes your chances of clearing a DFW-CDG upgrade, for more than 1 pax, in the middle of peak peak summer season, is basically 0%.

If the upgrade does happen to clear it will not be until the day before the flight, most likely at the gate.

AA typically never releases upgrades space in advance during June, to anywhere in Europe. The only strategy is to book less busy days (fly on Tues or Wed if possible) and routes that at least have a somewhat possible chance of clearing, like DFW-LHR-CDG on the later flights as noted above. Or DFW-JFK-LHR-CDG, etc.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold

Thanks!
Whether or not you choose to stick with the DFW-CDG flight, you should set up alerts on Expert Flyer for available Upgrade C inventory. You should do this for a number of flights and routings for the period you intend to travel.

FWIW, from my personal experience, summertime J prices to Europe are cheapest and upgrade inventory is most widely available when looking at booking between November and late January preceding the summer of travel.
geepmaley likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:27 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Strategy I use is to buy PE and do not waitlist for J upgrades for a little while so I can see the in-app upgrade offers. I also set an EF alert for upgradable C inventory so I can call and redeem the 25K+$350 on the spot. If all that fails to secure a seat up front, I'm still in a decent seat.
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PHL
Strategy I use is to buy PE and do not waitlist for J upgrades for a little while so I can see the in-app upgrade offers. I also set an EF alert for upgradable C inventory so I can call and redeem the 25K+$350 on the spot. If all that fails to secure a seat up front, I'm still in a decent seat.
Good strategy. Whilst upgrade offers greatly vary, I have had some as little as $285 to upgrade JFK MAD and no doubt that even if the OP pays ~$389 one-way for an upgrade, that's still better than 25,000 miles and $350 copay.
robertablake likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:15 am

Thanks for the great info! It will be in August 2025.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by PHL
in-app refers to ExpertFlyer or AA app? I've not used EF before, signing up now...
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
in-app refers to ExpertFlyer or AA app? I've not used EF before, signing up now...
In app meaning paid upgrade offers in the AA app.

EF is a monitoring service that provides insight into fare buckets, upgrade space (and a lot more) for planning and upgrade checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.